What to do with the Copper Nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, any sugar will work in these conditions. Even despite the fact it is "non-reducing", like sucrose. In strongly basic conditions, silver is much stronger oxidizing agent than in near-neutral conditions. Base decompose glycosidic bond in sucrose and liberate free glucose and fructose. But oxidation party just begin there. Sugar in these conditions is completely "shredded" to small oxidized molecules, in some cases even to carbon dioxide (which forms carbonates in strongly basic conditions).
That is why even glycerin works as reducing agent for this conversion.
The OP mentioned washing the silver oxide a bunch before adding the sucrose. That's why it wasn't working well. No strong base left! I mentioned that in my long post; the strong base is required to hydrolyze the sucrose.

The OP mentioned washing the silver oxide a bunch before adding the sucrose. That's why it wasn't working well. No strong base left! I mentioned that in my long post; the strong base is required to hydrolyze the sucrose.
That’s exactly what happened. I was thinking oh man!! Why did I wash the silver oxide.. problem solved!! Thank you!! happy holidays

I clearly missed that. My apologies.

Basic enviroment helps to reduce the ammount of sugar you use very significantly. If it were run in near neutral, like Tollens reaction, you would need whole equivalent of sugar for 2 silver equivalents (molar).

That’s exactly what happened. I was thinking oh man!! Why did I wash the silver oxide.. problem solved!! Thank you!! happy holidays
Not a problem. I did the same thing when I first tried the reaction. But, I only tried it with a tiny test tube first, so it minimized the problem and let me fix it without too much frustration.

I always do a new chemical procedure on a small scale first, to work out all the kinks in the process before I commit to a large volume.

Not a problem. I did the same thing when I first tried the reaction. But, I only tried it with a tiny test tube first, so it minimized the problem and let me fix it without too much frustration.

I always do a new chemical procedure on a small scale first, to work out all the kinks in the process before I commit to a large volume.
That is the good lab practice we have been promoting here.
If only to aviod big unknown runaway reactions. Experiments are to be done in test tubes first. As acquaintance tests should.
Cant be repeated enough. It would save tons of problems to solve.

That is the good lab practice we have been promoting here.
If only to aviod big unknown runaway reactions. Experiments are to be done in test tubes first. As acquaintance tests should.
Cant be repeated enough. It would save tons of problems to solve.
I used to work in a biochem and genetics lab. We always did it this way. Some of the stuff we dealt with was far more dangerous than even concentrated acid.

I think the nastiest thing I ever had to use was shigatoxin. Nervous as heck dealing with something so lethal.

I simply throw thin aluminum into the copper nitrate solution.
As a rule, these are housings from old relays, at first I use them to convert silver from chloride, and then when they are used they also displace copper.
Somehow the alkali and sugar did not impress me.
after reducing chloride with aluminum, cleaning with alkali and melting, they buy silver from me as 990 standard.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to fuse this copper later, I don’t even know what the correct name for this remainder is.
:)
there was a lot of nickel in this solution, the contact holders were made of nickel silver alloy

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_130400.jpg
    IMG_20240228_130400.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240228_130434.jpg
    IMG_20240228_130434.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I've had acceptable results with smelting copper powder from the stockpot and copper cell with soda ash as a flux.
Rinsed the powder until wash water was pH 7 and almost no hydroxides showing with a pH 11 drop test.
Nickel does not cement on iron, if i understood that right. So that will stay in the hydroxides when treating waste.

Back