What's happening here?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The newest addition to the family.

69.9g button.jpg

Button XRF assay .9995

Here is a short video of the melting of this button.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jjOmUrWpo[/youtube]

Here are some boards I ran and the information on them.
My understanding is they come from satellite dishes.

Starting weight of boards- 255g.
Weight after depopulated- 171g.
Number of boards- 69
Size of boards- 1.25" x 1.5"
Gold recovered- .23g (.4g /lb)

The boards were depopulated.
The boards were soaked in HCL to remove as much solder as possible.
The boards were washed a 2nd time to remove any traces of solder.
The boards were processed in poor man's AR (HCL/Sodium nitrate) till all the base metals and the gold was dissolved into solution.
A small amount of sulfamic acid was dissolved in water and added to the AR solution to remove any excess nitric.
The boards were removed from the solution and washed with water to remove traces of AR.
The wash water was added to the original solution of AR.
The pregnant solution had ice added to it to double its volume.
I took a funnel and made a charmin plug for the neck, 3 coffee filters were folded into quarters and placed in the funnel.
The funnel was placed into a container, crushed ice was added to the funnel and the AR solution was filtered.
2g of SMB was dissolved into water and then added to the filtered solution and stirred vigourously.
The gold was allowed to settle over night and the solution was siphoned off the next day.
The powder was then washed 3 times in boiling water, 3 times in HCL and 3 times in boiling water.
Final cleaned gold powder in the picture.

New summer project 012A.jpg

New summer project 013.jpg

I have been asked about removing the die's on fiber chip's like P-4 Heat sinks. This container of top's was soaked in HCL for about a day and a half in hot HCL to remover the dies. After they are dried out they can be run in a sulphuric cell to remove the gold plating. As you can see from the pictures some of the gold plating started coming off the top's. Hope this help's.

P4 with die.jpg

P4 no die.jpg

P4 die removed.jpg

patnor1011 said:
I cut them off with chisel or sharp blade, they are hold in place with some rubber like thing.

I seperate them from the fiberglass the same way. The post above was for removing the silicone chip from the heat sink after the heat sink and the fiber part had been seperated. Thank's Patnor1011.

Oh I see. That one I do with heat. I save that solder.
I put them on hotplate and when solder melt I take out Si with steel forceps and suck solder with small solder sucking pen (dunno what it is called properly).

Barren Realms 007 said:
This is a video of some chip's you might run across. Hope you enjoy.
I hope you haven't refined the chip around 8:54, it looks like an Intel 8008 and I think it could easily fetch a few hundred dollars.

Göran

Barren Realms 007 said:

Number of boards- 69

The boards were processed in poor man's AR (HCL/Sodium nitrate) till all the base metals and the gold was dissolved into solution.
A small amount of sulfamic acid was dissolved in water and added to the AR solution to remove any excess nitric.
The boards were removed from the solution and washed with water to remove traces of AR.
I took a funnel and made a charmin plug for the neck, 3 coffee filters were folded into quarters and placed in the funnel.
The funnel was placed into a container, crushed ice was added to the funnel and the AR solution was filtered.
2g of SMB was dissolved into water and then added to the filtered solution and stirred vigourously.
The gold was allowed to settle over night and the solution was siphoned off the next day.
The powder was then washed 3 times in boiling water, 3 times in HCL and 3 times in boiling water.
There are about 2 in2 of gold plated surface area per board or a total of 138 in2 for the 69 boards. The total yield was .23g of gold. That would be an average gold thickness of 5.27 micro". I've been saying all along that the gold on these "plane" areas of boards run about 5 micro" thick. Pretty close.

goldsilverpro said:
Barren Realms 007 said:

Number of boards- 69

There are about 2 in2 of gold plated surface area per board or a total of 138 in2 for the 69 boards. The total yield was .23g of gold. That would be an average gold thickness of 5.27 micro". I've been saying all along that the gold on these "plane" areas of boards run about 5 micro" thick. Pretty close.

Thank you for figuring that out I haven't taken the time to do that.

Back