Who knows where to get equipment to recover and refine Ruthenium and Osmium?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried to look up the posts of anonymous and it is not a name the system recognizes as a member. I did not know that could be done, take the entirety of a members posts and dump them into an anonymous bin. Surely it's a skill above my pay grade.

When Harold used the nuclear option on Jon's Spaceships account, he deleted the user record in the database. He had used that method multiple times in the past, and it screwed up the search capabilities because it left all the posts intact, but it reset the username to anonymous. Since he did it multiple times, searching by username Anonymous will blend them all together.

All of Jon's posts that he originally made as Spaceships are still here. There is just not a convenient way to find them all in a search. As you read through old threads from the period when he was Spaceships, if you find posts from Anonymous, they're probably Jon's.

Dave

All of Jon's posts that he originally made as Spaceships are still here. There is just not a convenient way to find them all in a search. As you read through old threads from the period when he was Spaceships, if you find posts from Anonymous, they're probably Jon's.
I have found a few under anonymous that I knew were Jon’s. Others didn’t seem to fit, now I know why. Thanks for the heads up.

They deleted the conversations I had in private messages. who did this?
Are you sure they are deleted? After a period of time, older conversations don't appear when I click on the conversations icon, but if I click on the "Show all" option at the bottom of the drop down window, all my old conversations are there.

Dave

Very dangerous, but then how do they do it in the world? Nobody talks about this, they just say that it is very dangerous.
here they recover the Ruthenium by distillation using some glass equipment, but no Os, less Os here, if you need, i can introduce to you

Ruthenium and osmium?!!!

So I see you have chosen... death!

Seriously, those two metals have compounds that do not play nice with human tissues. And ruthenium, the less nasty of the two, still has a melting point over 2,300C, making melting it impossible for the typical small-time refiner (osmium's melting point is even higher!)... it also oxidizes rapidly at temps over 800C, so it has to be melted in an oxygen-free environment.

And while ruthenium metal is very inert and nontoxic, the ruthenium oxide produced by heating IS toxic. Fortunately, this is only the dioxide form. The extremely toxic, volatile, and reactive tetroxide requires another reagent in order to form. It's analogous to the nastiness of osmium tetroxide.... though that can form from the osmium metal just sitting out in the air.

So, as others have said, these are two metal extremely hard to refine, with very toxic compounds, and really not worth that much unless it's industrial scale-refining.

What a problem then friends, the best thing then is to leave the refining of Os, Ru, to very large refineries in Switzerland, the US, and the UK. What worries me is that we melt 3 kg bars, which contain these two metals, but a small percentage of Ru and Os, but when Pt is melted, temperatures of 1600 to 1800 degrees Celsius are reached. It is a normal oven. I don't know if the surrounding oxygen forms RuO4 and OsO4. Do you think it is formed?

Ruthenium and osmium?!!!

So I see you have chosen... death!

Seriously, those two metals have compounds that do not play nice with human tissues. And ruthenium, the less nasty of the two, still has a melting point over 2,300C, making melting it impossible for the typical small-time refiner (osmium's melting point is even higher!)... it also oxidizes rapidly at temps over 800C, so it has to be melted in an oxygen-free environment.

And while ruthenium metal is very inert and nontoxic, the ruthenium oxide produced by heating IS toxic. Fortunately, this is only the dioxide form. The extremely toxic, volatile, and reactive tetroxide requires another reagent in order to form. It's analogous to the nastiness of osmium tetroxide.... though that can form from the osmium metal just sitting out in the air.

So, as others have said, these are two metal extremely hard to refine, with very toxic compounds, and really not worth that much unless it's industrial scale-refining.
Well put and succint Alondro. Just about sums the whole thing up.

What a problem then friends, the best thing then is to leave the refining of Os, Ru, to very large refineries in Switzerland, the US, and the UK. What worries me is that we melt 3 kg bars, which contain these two metals, but a small percentage of Ru and Os, but when Pt is melted, temperatures of 1600 to 1800 degrees Celsius are reached. It is a normal oven. I don't know if the surrounding oxygen forms RuO4 and OsO4. Do you think it is formed?
Absolutely both are formed at that temperature.

He is asking if RuO4 and OsO4 are produced at the melting point of alloys containing these metals. The answer to that is yes, to both, and in particular, if these alloys are torch melted.

Back