Palladium recovery from Monolithic Ceramic Capacitors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel-a

Hi guys, just wanted to share a new slideshow that i recently uploaded to youtube demonstrating the recovery process of palladium from Monolithic Ceramic Capacitors.
It only show the steps taken in the process and doesn't go down to the details.

Hope you enjoy, comment and subscribe to my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWftjRnNrNw

Sam

Thanks Barren.

The filter rig is actually an old tower that i silced a circle at the top to hold the funnel.

about the link, it work for me, would you give it another try and tell me what message do you get?
or
you can try the other link in the description.

It worked for me barren.I've said it a million times,I need to send you a new computer.

Gret vid Sam, although I am not sure what actually was acomplished by cementing with Al and then simply redisolving in AR.
I understand removing base metals with the first HCL soak. But I don't see the benifit of these the last steps.

Platdigger said:
Gret vid Sam, although I am not sure what actually was acomplished by cementing with Al and then simply redisolving in AR.
I understand removing base metals with the first HCL soak. But I don't see the benifit of these the last steps.

Thank you and Good point.

I'v been doing just that, and came to conclusion that i'll benefit from a second dropping.

Two reasons for that:
fisrt, is to leave behind silver chloride if present and other contaminants (such as TiO2, AlO2) that may have dissolved in the first boiling AR leach and had an effect on acheving full precipitation with Ammonium/Chlorine precipitation and will be a real pain in the --- when concentrating.

second, dissolving the Pd with just the amount needed of AR so you will avoid the long evaporation precess before the Ammonium/chlorine precipitation.

Jim

This was a case study with only 18 grams mixed lot and i kinda gone wild with all sorts of expirimenting with it, so it might be very likely that i lost some Pd, at the moment the Pd is at his paladinate salt state and waiting for me to attend to...
i do not anticipate more then 0.2 grams... i'll update thought

Thanks.The video is great.I still haven't attempted any capacitors.
Maybe your info and video will give me some incentive.

Jim

i certainly hope so jim.

Part two of the process will be uploaded this weekend hopefully

Good luck

But.. considering also the difficulty in melting palladium
sponge (without getting the superficial black oxide) the
procedure seems to be profitable only over few pounds
(of capacitors)

Lino1406 said:
But.. considering also the difficulty in melting palladium
sponge (without getting the superficial black oxide) the
(of capacitors)

I use oxygen/hydrogen to melt my palladium and don't have any problems with oxides.

Steve

I built a home made Oxygen Hydrogen torch once using an orifice from an oil furnace and water electrolysis. It was pretty simple to make and as long as there were safety measures in place, such as check valves in the correct places, it all worked great. It ran on 12VDC batteries.

Lino1406 said:
the
(of capacitors)

thanks you for your comment.
I partially agree, it really depends on chemicals costs at different parts of the world, electrical costs and labor.
All in all, one lb batch could also turn out to be cost effective giving that mixed material (capacitors) from different model and maker usually run at 1.5-2.5% Pd.
Chasing after the silver will probably worth it only with a combination of a few batches...

Key to melting palladium is a slightly rich flame. Excess oxygen will cause sputtering.

I've taken straight PdO to palladium numerous times with nothing more than an oxyhydrogen torch--heat disproportionates it much like Ag2O and the gold hydroxides.

Lou

Hello,
Does anyone know of a reputable refiner (preferably via personal experience) where I could take bulk quantities of Pd bearing MCCs? All of the caps contain Pd per their OEMs data sheets, and Ive saved up about 10 kgs of the material (i regularly get them). they are all new, surplus, not solder contaminated pulls.

Thanks in advance!

Back