Electrolytic silver refinig

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrushi

Supporting Member
Need some help regarding construction of parting cell

For processing 5-10kgs of silver per batch what shud be the capacity of power supply like how many volts or Amps

There's lots of silver cell info on the forum. I would suggest you start here
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=732&highlight=silver+cell+thum

The simplest to use is a horizontal Thum cell (pictured in the link above). Keep this in mind when designing your cell: No matter what the capacity is, the solution depth should be about 4.5" to 4.75" (11.4-12.1 cm)

The amperage is only dependent of the bottom surface area (that facing the cathode that covers the bottom of the tank) of the anodes - between 25 to 50 amps per square foot. At this amperage, you will require about 3 to 4 volts, assuming there is no unnecessary resistance in the system. With one 12V rectifier of adequate amperage, you can run 3 cells in series.

There is no metal anode basket in a horizontal Thum silver cell. Contact is made directly to the top of the impure silver bars.

I suppose you could use a titanium basket in a vertical Moebius cell to hold silver shot, rather than hanging silver bars.

We may be talking about different cells. Are you talking about a nitrate silver purification cell or a sulfuric cell or, what?

I suppose you could use a titanium basket in a vertical Moebius cell to hold silver shot, rather than hanging silver bars.
Can I use SS basket instead of titanium basket

We may be talking about different cells. Are you talking about a nitrate silver purification cell or a sulfuric cell or, what?
True I am talking about Moebius cell and nitrate silver purification

hrushi said:
Can I use SS basket instead of titanium basket
Absolutely not! Stainless will be broken down and transferred by the cell. I am speaking from experience, whereby a stainless screw that became a part of the circuit degraded rapidly. Avoid using anything conductive (like titanium)--it can lead to depletion of your electrolyte, even if it does not transfer. Stainless (300 series), as long as it is used for the cathode, is perfectly acceptable, and is commonly used.

True I am talking about Moebius cell and nitrate silver purification
Make your basket from polypropylene, which is inert. It can be fabricated from stock, and assembled with stainless screws, assuming you can keep them isolated from the circuit. Mine was so constructed, and shorted only because of some bridging of silver. That can be avoided by careful design and proper cell operation.

Harold

Here what I have to do

I have cemented Ag using copper which is of purity 99.50 and I want achieve 9999 purity of it. So what I am trying to experiment is to reduce the time required for electrolysis and also cost of producing 9999 purity Ag.

I have planned to take cemented Ag and put it in anode basket which may be of titanium or put Ag into PP bag and suspend a graphite rod into it.

According to me if use cemented Ag time taken for electrolysis will be less and cost of production will also be compartatively low.

Hrushikesh

I'm curious how you know your silver is already 9995. If you've used copper for recovery, I have serious doubts that it is any better than 99.

I didn't read any melting procedures in your post. Are you going to eliminate melting the cement silver? If so, I do not recommend you do so. Silver is best melted and cast as an anode. By fluxing (borax only, no soda ash) the silver, you will remove a considerable amount of material that you do NOT want to get in your silver cell.

Again, do NOT use anything of a metallic (or conductive) nature for your basket system. Only silver should be exposed to the electrolyte. If you do otherwise, you can expect to deplete your electrolyte and fail in the intended purpose. Melt your silver, cast a flat anode, then place it in a non-conductive basket that has a dense cotton fabric filter, which will collect traces of silver, along with any residual traces of precious metals. Only the bottom surface of the anode should be in contact with the electrolyte, to minimize the amount of silver that is eroded from the anode, thus maintaining a more constant surface area.

Harold

I have never used titanium baskets in the silver cell and have never run a vertical Moebius cell, although I know how it works. However, titanium and tantalum are used routinely as anode baskets in many acidic plating solutions. I see no problems in using them in this weak nitric matrix. They should hold up indefinitely. Make sure they are bagged to hold the anode sludge.

I repeat, though, that I have never tried this and am guaranteeing nothing. I always ran horizontal Thum cells and always ran the silver as ingots. I have thought about running granulated silver shot in the Thum cell, but have never tried it. I think there are some patents that use shot.

Don't use stainless. Use only titanium or tantalum.

I might mention that the Ti and Ta baskets are made of expanded metal. If you put shot in them, it will probably fall through the holes. Actually, only the shot next to the basket will dissolve. The shot in the center of the mass won't get any current. It would probably be better to cast bars, cut the bars into about 1" chunks with a shear, and put the chunks in the baskets. Also, use cathodes on both sides on the anode baskets.

Chris,
On rare occasion, my silver would be lightly contaminated with copper after refining. I made that determination by using the recovered crystals to make my next batch of electrolyte. If the silver nitrate had a tint of green, I knew it contained copper, so I'd use the electrolyte for re-processing the same lot of crystal. I had excellent success simply placing the recovered crystals back in the basket and placing an anode on top, to which I applied my "candlestick" silver electrode. No need to melt to shot, but I can't help but think that recovered cement silver would be troublesome.

Harold

Harold,

I agree. You would probably have to melt the cement silver and shot it or cast bars in order to add it to the cell.

In my cell, per batch, I added 21 bars, each about 3" x 8", all snugged together making contact with each other. This formed a square of about 24" on a side. Sometimes, a bar or two would dissolve on the side and separate from each other and lose contact. I would reconnect them by sprinkling a little crystal between them.

Wow! My anodes were only about 8" square, and were ran individually. You really did crank out the silver!

I liked your method of connecting the errant pieces of anode.

I kept the amperage well down on my cell, so it wouldn't bridge quickly. I could sleep a few hours before having to knock down the crystals that way. It ran 24/7 for as long as the anodes held up, but I then put it away until I had a few thousand ounces to part once again.

On the average, I parted about 100 ounces daily. Hardly a drop in the bucket compared to your production, but it seemed to be a good amount for the nature of my operation. While I didn't encourage silver, it was, as you know, a very necessary evil considering I used it exclusively for inquartation. It became the carrier of the majority of the platinum group for me, so parting was important.

Harold

Harold,

I had 4 cast iron molds and could pour the 21 bars in 30-45 minutes, or so. Each bar only weighed about 40 oz - about 3/8" thick. I just poured until the bottom of the mold was completely covered. I used a thin coat of motor oil to coat the molds. The big guys cast one big 1" x 24" x 24", 200# slab, but they need a hoist to lower it into the cell. That would also take a hell of a mold. It was a lot easier for me to make a bunch of individual bars. Starting with 99% silver, I got 500-600 oz/day/cell. With sterling, I got a lot less.

Actually, your 100 oz/day was pretty darned good for an 8" x 8" anode. That's 1/9 of the area of my anodes. One amp for one hour (1 amp-hour) can deposit about 4 grams of silver. A constant 32 amps for 24 hours would theoretically produce about 100 oz. You must of run about 50 amps during the day. I ran 200 amps, but that is only 50 amps/square foot of my anode area. You had to be running a lot higher.

What material did you use for your candlestick? Instead of a candlestick, I drilled a hole near each end of a 1/4" x 2" x 5" long piece of buss bar. Then, I had somebody hold it upright, with tongs, in the center of the bottom of a mold while I poured molten 60/40, Cu/Ag alloy around it, about 3/4"- 1" deep. The 1/2" hole locked it all together. The bar was about 3" x 8". The other hole was for the cable connection. Lots cheaper than gold and it lasted a couple of years. As you probably know, the big boys use gold candlesticks for both the anode and cathode connections.

Just making conversation.

Chris

I have slowly been putting the pieces together for a silver cell and have wondered about the reactions of the platinum group metals. As Harold mentioned above they are often used to recover more valuable PMs from inquartation silver. I am also aware that platinum (I assume perhaps rhodium as well?) will go into a nitric solution to a degree when alloyed with silver. Inquartation silver will have low percentages of these which favors their dissolution with silver in nitric.

The only difference in a cell that I can see that could mitigate this is that you are keeping a fine balance or equilibrium with your free nitric. Do you notice a significant difference as to how much of these are left in your anode bag compared to a regular nitric digestion?

While discussing PGMs it is my understanding that Pd contamination of the electrolyte becomes critical at lower grams per liter concentration than the Cu. At what concentration of Pd would you become concerned with co-deposition?

As I do not have practical experience running a silver cell the above are assumptions on my part, by all means correct me.

goldsilverpro said:
Actually, your 100 oz/day was pretty darned good for an 8" x 8" anode.
I hope my statement was accurate. It may have been slightly larger, but not significantly larger. Perhaps it was 9" square, tops. I have to apologize, for I really don't remember, but some of your comments, below, are giving me cause to rethink what I said. Please understand that all of this is now, for me, ancient history. It's been 14 years since I refined. I'll address this more, below, and, as you said, just making conversation, but I don't want to say anything that would be misleading. Others may well be hanging their hat on our comments.

I ran 200 amps, but that is only 50 amps/square foot of my anode area. You had to be running a lot higher.
The harsh reality is I did not, so I must address the time interval. I am now wondering if I ran the cell longer than I recall. I had learned that I could process a full anode, depending on its weight, without changing electrolyte. While I knocked down the crystals regularly, they were harvested ONLY when I changed electrolyte. It's all a blur to me now, but your hard statements (which I do NOT dispute) make me think I'm simply not remembering what I did, or how long it took. It could well be that I ran much longer between changes, perhaps even five days. I simply can't remember. I do remember that I ran at 12 amps, by choice. Higher amperage, which I tried, caused faster shorting of the cell, so I kicked it back in favor of lower production, but less trouble. That I remember for sure. With your math skills, it wouldn't be too hard to determine how long I ran. Incidentally, while my anodes varied in thickness, they were, on average, 3/4" thick. I seem to recall they averaged about 200 ounces, but, then again, I'm not sure.

What material did you use for your candlestick?
I made an iron mold that cast a button that was about an inch in diameter, and maybe that long, too, with an integral shank that was roughly ¼" diameter, and perhaps an inch long. That allowed for a clamp to be attached to the candlestick, which was simply placed on top of the anode, in the center. The center was always the last to go, and was actually covered by a new anode when the cell was cleaned out and started again. Because my amperage demand was low, I didn't have to be overly concerned about its ability to carry much. It worked flawlessly, although I had to suspend the attaching cable overhead, which was not a good feature. I didn't want it touching the filter bag, due to capillary action, electrolyte would wet the insulation, something I didn't like. As far as the candlestick goes, I was still using the original one when I sold the business, so it went with the cell. Only on rare occasion did it ever make contact with the electrolyte, due in part to my system of placing a new anode on top of the old one. Only when I was shutting down, running the last anode, was it ever at risk. Even then, I'd save the last remnant and include it in the next run of silver.

As you probably know, the big boys use gold candlesticks for both the anode and cathode connections.
In fact, no, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. That's a lot of money to tie up in a contact, but when you're processing on an ongoing basis, and turning hundreds, if not thousands of ounces daily, it's a small price to pay to insure no contamination. And---in the end, you still have the gold.

Just making conversation.
Yep---me too, but I'm having a bit of a time keeping things straight these days. Old age and time is taking a toll! :)

Harold

Oz said:
The only difference in a cell that I can see that could mitigate this is that you are keeping a fine balance or equilibrium with your free nitric. Do you notice a significant difference as to how much of these are left in your anode bag compared to a regular nitric digestion?
While I never assayed my silver, it was re-dissolved for making new electrolyte, so if there was any contamination present, it was obvious. Silver nitrate that is pure and has been permitted to exhaust all traces of fumes, will be almost colorless. The slightest hint of green or brown is an excellent indicator that there is a trace element present. Generally, if I found anything, it was copper, but on one occasion, one whereby I had allowed way too much palladium and platinum to accumulate in my silver, I co-deposited a trace of palladium. It is obvious when it happens, if by no other means, by the color of the electrolyte. When it shifts to a dark green, you've gone well past an acceptable level of contamination.

Do keep in mind, I added NO copper to my electrolyte. I had more than enough experience in running without----and had proven that it is not essential, although it did provide for a crystal growth that was much easier to knock down. Silver from my cell, when it was first started after an electrolyte change, would deposit in a film instead of growing crystals. It didn't take long for the copper level to escalate, then crystals would develop instead. With low copper content (in the electrolyte) they were quite rigid----but as the copper concentration grew greater, they grew softer and softer, finally, about the time that copper would co-deposit, the silver grew as hair.

I ran my cell this way for years----and got consistent results every time. If you get familiar with the characteristics of any given cell, I'm of the opinion that you can fairly well judge the quality that is coming off, and know when it's time to change electrolyte.

Everything I read indicates industry doesn't do that, they, instead, change a portion of the electrolyte constantly, to keep the copper at an acceptable level. I found it much easier to simply make a wholesale change. That works fine for a small cell such as mine.

While discussing PGMs it is my understanding that Pd contamination of the electrolyte becomes critical at lower grams per liter concentration than the Cu. At what concentration of Pd would you become concerned with co-deposition?
I can't address that in terms that are meaningful-----but if you manage to co-deposit palladium, your electrolyte will have long before changed color to the point where you'd be concerned. I would not dwell on that issue unless you have a huge amount of palladium mixed with your silver.

As I do not have practical experience running a silver cell the above are assumptions on my part, by all means correct me.
One thing that is good to know is that it is not a good idea to allow too much gold, platinum and palladium to accumulate in your silver. When I processed the values that were recovered from my waste materials, I experienced that very thing.

I had used my stock pot as a method of saving traces of the pt. group metals, which were commonly found in small quantity in the waste materials from jeweler's benches. The amount was usually way too low to precipitate (remember, they must be concentrated to precipitate), so I just dumped all traces in my stock pot. I also allowed silver chloride to accumulate in my wastes, with the idea of the silver acting as a collector to recover the values mentioned. Turns out that worked exceedingly well, but the doré contained so much of the pt group that it was troublesome in parting in the silver cell. I had to literally scrape the sludge off the anode, often with considerable effort. That lead, in one instance, of depletion of my electrolyte, the silver no longer being able to leave the anode.

When you have a low level of concentration, your anode will shed the values easily, which can be easily scooped from the basket using an acid dipper. That was my procedure, but it requires that you use a filter that has good integrity. Too light of weight allows the fine particulate matter to go through the filter material. The product I used was made expressly as filter material, and had one side fuzzy, which trapped the fine particles. It was made of cotton, so it was easy to incinerate when it was changed. Being contaminated with silver nitrate, it burned readily, even when wet, and reduced to an ash that was easy to digest with nitric, to recover the residual silver and palladium. Most of the platinum and all of the gold would remain behind as a solid.

Harold

Good stuff Harold!.....:)
Waay interesting.
If it is not too far off topic of the thread, could you tell us how you proceeded with the stock pot to get to the point of "dore" that you
parted in your cell?
Did you just cement everything to iron and then melt it?
Randy

Harold,

It is nice to know that the palladium seemed to indicate by a visible brown before you had co-deposition. I have not tested a known purity of Pd in nitric for a reference but I have found that even US mint .999 silver can give me a trace of green from copper.

I had read with interest when you and GSP had discussed the addition of copper to starting electrolyte. I will start without adding Cu to mine the first time for the experience, if it gives me difficulty it will be easy to clean my cathode with nitric and start over after adding a known quantity of Cu. It will also extend the useful life of my electrolyte if I can avoid it.

I had planned on testing my silver precipitate for palladium by dissolving a small amount in nitric then testing with DMG, this will give me the opportunity to see copper and nickel contamination as well.

As to my PGM values being too great to allow the silver to shed, I can’t imagine they are that high knowing the original feed but I sure wouldn’t complain with the extra labor.

Thanks again for great information.

Platdigger said:
could you tell us how you proceeded with the stock pot to get to the point of "dore" that you
parted in your cell? Did you just cement everything to iron and then melt it?
The contents of my stock pot, which was cleaned out on an irregular basis, were simply incinerated and placed in storage, right along with filter papers and other material that contained traces, but were not worthy of being processed individually.

The doré of which I spoke was the result of all of the waste materials that were extracted by furnace reduction. Keep in mind, I purposely allowed silver chloride to accumulate in the waste material, expecting it to act as a collector of the greater values. It was an excellent decision, proven by an assay of the flux after the fact. I achieved well over 99% recovery.

It is important for you to understand that I did NOT part the doré in the silver cell. That would not work. The material contained a huge amount of gold---roughly 30%----which, alone, would have stopped the cell from working. It was also quite high in copper.

The doré was cornflaked and parted with nitric. That separated all of the gold, most of the platinum and the vast majority of the palladium from the material, leaving a solution heavily laden with silver, traces of platinum and heavy with palladium, along with the included copper. The values were then recovered on copper, which is the source of the exceedingly high level of concentration of platinum metals that were troublesome in the silver parting cell.

Had I known what I know now, I'd have blended the recovered cement silver and platinum metals with other silver that was low or absent any greater values. That would have made parting in the silver cell a much easier chore.

As for the contents of the stock pot, I'd remove any pieces of iron, then allow the particulates to settle well. Siphon off the majority of the barren liquid, then, using an inexpensive but fairly retentive filter paper, filter the balance, collecting all of the solids. Anything that was not desirable (sulfur, from SO2, or even paint specks from scrap steel that might have been used) would be eliminated in incineration.

You can easily skip the furnace process, assuming you keet silver chloride out of the mix. Incinerate the collected values from the stock pot, then process chemically. The problem is, any washes you perform just create more values that need to be processed, which is why I used the furnace.

After incineration, if you wash the stock pot contents with HCl, you'll dissolve palladium oxides. If you wash the contents with nitric, you'll dissolve palladium -----so I chose to not do the waste chemically. That need not be your case.

Harold

Oz said:
It is nice to know that the palladium seemed to indicate by a visible brown before you had co-deposition. I have not tested a known purity of Pd in nitric for a reference but I have found that even US mint .999 silver can give me a trace of green from copper.
That may not be copper. If you dissolve pure silver in nitric, it will have a green cast. Given a boil, it expels what must be NO2, eventually yielding what is nearly a colorless solution. I experienced that every time I made electrolyte. My experience indicates that silver nitrate will have a hint of yellow, but not green. The hint of yellow is VERY subtle.

I had read with interest when you and GSP had discussed the addition of copper to starting electrolyte. I will start without adding Cu to mine the first time for the experience, if it gives me difficulty it will be easy to clean my cathode with nitric and start over after adding a known quantity of Cu. It will also extend the useful life of my electrolyte if I can avoid it.
There is no doubt in my mind, copper is not essential to parting. It is used to increase conductivity of electrolyte, and obviously to create softer crystals, but is otherwise not useful. You are correct in your thinking-you will get greater use from your electrolyte without adding any.

When you start your cell for the first time, if it is absent copper, and your anode is made from cemented silver, you'll notice the color of the electrolyte changes almost immediately. It assumes a hint of light green, then continues getting darker. Expect it to be more green than blue, a function of the presence of silver. Any traces of palladium will also shift the color away from blue.

I had planned on testing my silver precipitate for palladium by dissolving a small amount in nitric then testing with DMG, this will give me the opportunity to see copper and nickel contamination as well.
In that case, I'd likely precipitate the silver with a drop of HCl, then test accordingly. DMG is very sensitive to minute traces of palladium, but you'd do well to separate the remaining solution from the silver chloride before testing. The use of a spot plate is also very wise--you can examine the reactions closely, often seeing any flocculence that might come from DMG. I used spot plates routinely, preferring them over other methods. I'm not suggesting they are better, but they were my custom.

As to my PGM values being too great to allow the silver to shed, I can’t imagine they are that high knowing the original feed but I sure wouldn’t complain with the extra labor.
Yep---I wasn't exactly unhappy with the large amount I recovered, but to make life easier, it's really nice when you pick up the anode and all of the slimes slip right off. That happens when they're in low levels of concentration.

So you understand, you can expect a high percentage of silver particles in your slimes. That's the nature of the beast. Major refiners used to boil the material in cast iron vessels, using concentrated sulfuric, which would remove the silver. I simply did a nitric acid process, then recovered all the values on copper once again. It really concentrated the palladium, but it worked.

Harold

Back