TV Show Casting!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeldiscovery

Hi!
My name is Michael and I work in development at Discovery Studios. We are the production arm of Discovery Communications and create TV shows for all our networks.

I am working on a new show about Gold and would like to talk with you about the home gold scene.

I'm looking for anyone who searches for scrap and refines it. I would love to find someone who uses chemicals to get the gold from e-waste.

If you're in the Rust Belt (PA, OH, IN, KY, WV) please introduce yourself... but I'll be happy to hear from anyone and everyone.

I can be reached via email at [email protected]

I look forward to chatting.

Michael

And no... this isn't spam. That is why I included my work email (with an @Discovery.com address). I'm happy to chat on the board, via PM, or via personal email - but no matter how it's done I want to chat and hear your story!

I look forward to talking with some of you.

Best,

Michael

Even more than it is now?

This last year my e-waste feedstock has pretty much dried up for this very reason.

Another show that essentially teaches everyone how to do what you do to make your living, and they will (I'm sure) be hoping that this will be an ego driven casting process so they can get over by not having to pay the cast like it was on the show Top Shot.

Exactly! :evil: I don't make a living from this but I enjoy it and don't see there being much stuff to refine anymore if everyone and their brother knows about it and starts collecting material and taking it out of my hands.

Tyler

As if it isn't tough enough already. I have no interest in showing the world - and every 'non ecology-first' moron out there- how to make it even harder for me to practice my craft. No thanks!

I can't help but wonder how would you condense all the years of knowledge the people like Harold, Lou, GSP and many others on this forum have into a one or two hour T.V. show? How could it be done even in a season show? I don't see it happening, without someone getting hurt or worse.

The ONLY people who will benefit from a show like this is the producers and TV station with their advertising. These type of shows have no business being aired for the public to see. The processes needed to extract the precious metals are not only Dangerous but, misused, impact the environment. If, shows like this are allowed to continue being made and produced, we as home refiner and hobbyist will not be able to obtain the chemicals we need.

For example, Lye, you cannot go into a Home Depot or a hardware store and ask for lye and be able to by it. It is not sold under that name anymore. Unless you know it as Sodium Hydroxide and where to find it in the store, you are S-O-L!

HCL now come in two forms to the public a weak solution sold as GO-GREEN and in 31.45% back in the pool area. If you have not studied this hobby, you will have no ideal which one to buy. Then when you go to check out, you have to produce your driver lic. before they will sell it to you, and you are only allowed so much.

Yeah, just what we need another show :evil: There, are other reasons why a show like this should not air but, they get into the board rules so I cannot go into them.

Wake-up!!! Before this hobby too, is a thing of the past.

Ken
edited; Just my two cents here, I think the contact infor link should be removed from his post. I don't think the GRF promotes TV shows, instead they promote helping the home refiner.

I "used to" to buy storage unit's (lockers) - this was before they came out with the "Locker Wars" show --- when I would go to auctions there would be 12 to 20 people at them & they had all been at it long enough to know the real value of what they were looking at & biding on so you could pick the units up at reasonable price & expect to make 2 or 3 times what you paid with the "luck" of getting the "occasional" one that really had something in it (I one time bought a unit for a dollar & got about $5,000 out of it)

Then the show came out - then there was 100 or more people showing up - they saw the show & they were all sure that there was a gold brick in the bottom of every unit they looked at - so they were biding stupid crazy - paying 2 or 3 times what the value you could expect to get out of them (because they were sure there was a gold brick hid inside)

My point is that "The Show" completely ruined it because all of a sudden "everybody" wanted to get in on the act

You think YouTube, Ebay etc. is a bad reflection on what we do (with all the B.S. info out there) this TV program will make it even worse - count on it

sad thing is - it may well happen - because good chance they will find someone that just can't wait to be "The Star" of the show

Kurt

IF it airs,i hope they will mension ebay,so i can unload a ton of low grade scrap.
it will drive the price of all the junk we have.
john

Should I send this to Michael as an Email ?

Hi Michael

Please, Please, Please - DO NOT - produce a show based on Hobby Home Refiners that recover & refine PMs (precious metals) from E-waste --- this is a VERY specialized field that very few people can really grasp the knowledge & understanding of to do safely when it comes to the concerns of impacting the health of them selves - the people around them & the environment in general

EVERYTHING - we do involves toxic & hazardous substances that include fumes, gases, solutions,& chemicals --- ALL of these things are VERY dangerous things to the person that tries working with them on limited knowledge --- & there is no way you can possibly produce a show that would provide anything other then a limited understanding of the over all process - but what your show would do is inspire tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people to attempt doing this at home where they WILL put them selves, the people around them & the environment at risk

Because of the HIGH danger level involved in every step involved in these processes to recover & refine the PMs from E-waste - this is something that should not be aired on public TV like other shows such as Locker Wars or Pawn Stars or Moonshiners, or the logging shows or other so called "Reality TV"

On the Gold Refining Forum we are VERY adamant about new members taking the time - MUCH TIME - to research the things involved in these processes before they even start to ask questions - let alone start to try doing anything - & that is due to the high danger/hazard level of what we do!!!

Those that come to the forum with ether a know it all attitude &/or an un-willingness to spend much time doing there own research are quickly banned from the forum because as a group we have all long ago decided that we are not going to help people hurt them selves!!!

I would like to suggest Michael that instead of looking at producing a show based on Home Hobby Refining/How To Do IT --- that in stead you look at producing a show based on - Refining/How Its Done -by talking with some of the large companies in the industry --- a series maybe of different companies that handle different PM containing metals --- one on a company that handle platinum group metals from catalytic converters - one on a company that handles ores - one on a company that handles E-waste & one a company that handles recycled jewelry --- such a program would show "How Its Done" - rather then a limited information "how TO do it" program that will only inspire people to try something very dangerous at home with limited knowledge

You can't possibly cover everything you need to know about this in a TV program - not even as a program series

Thank you for the interest though & I hope you will take this to heart so you don't put something out there that could end up hurting a lot of people

Kurt - Member of the Gold Refining Forum

JHS said:
IF it airs,i hope they will mension ebay,so i can unload a ton of low grade scrap.
it will drive the price of all the junk we have.
john

Yap - but that means cost to get it will also go up!!!

People will think their $5 scrap computer is worth $50

Kurt

I could help out, but I'm not a screaming hot head jerk so they would never put me on TV.

Funny how calm, careful people never get on those shows. :roll:

And as others have mentioned, e-scrap is drying up due to you(-don't-know-squat-)tube already. It will disappear completely after this "reality" show airs.

Sigh, time to scratch off another home based potential income hobby.

I've been know to refine a time or two at home so I guess that qualifies me as a "home refiner". I've been studying this craft for several years and still only know the basics.
As a home refiner I am very careful about who knows my activities and for good reason too. Many of these reasons have been discussed at length on the forum... security of myself and family...unwanted attention from ill-informed authorities or eco-tards. There are so many aspects of refining the average person watching TV wouldn't understand.
I plan my recovery and refining activities so they draw the least amount of notice from those around me. I'm very careful with waste disposal, my chemicals are locked up when not in use and ensure spills/drips are contained.

Why on earth would I want to turn the spotlight onto myself? I don't think anybody that takes this craft half serious would.

Just like everyone else here I am against broadcasting such a show. My personal thought is that it would be about the same as broadcasting a show about all the bathtub drug chemists out there. It would cause a lot of people to get hurt trying to use chemicals and processes that they are not set up to do safely trying to get some "easy money". Also, there is the waste that would be produced and likely poured down the drain or on the ground because it isn't cheap to properly dispose of toxic byproducts.

More important (to our group) is that it would likely bring about even more regulations and make getting any chemicals at all more expensive and possibly just plain impossible without permits, licenses, and bonds. For the general public, this might also mean that they can't go to the local store and purchase drain cleaner or other household chemicals but would be forced to call a professional plumber who would then be forced to charge even more than they already do because of the new regulations.

Back