The "Find the Errors in Hoke" Contest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrugalRefiner

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
About nine months ago I posted my printer friendly version of Hoke's book, Refining Precious Metal Wastes. I'm humbled that there have been over 800 downloads of the file, and I want to give special thanks to those who have provided links to the thread. When I posted the file I asked that if anyone found any errors or omissions they let me know so I could correct them. I am surprised that to this day, I have not received a single message regarding errors.

I have been rereading the book for a new edit I'm working on. In the process, I have found many errors or omissions, some obvious, some more difficult to spot. And yet, none of our sharp-eyed members have reported any of them.

So I thought about how I could get members involved in spotting and reporting errors they find... A Contest! We haven't had a contest in a while! With Prizes!!

My reasons for doing this are twofold. First, I'd like to correct as many errors as possible in the upcoming version. I have found 20 so far. There are probably more that I have missed. I'm asking the help of our members in finding them. Second, I want to provide an incentive for new members and veterans alike to read through the book again. Every time I read it I learn new things.

Here are the rules: The contest is open to all forum members. I will provide the prizes and cover postage within the continental U.S. If a winner is outside the U.S., I will contact them to discuss the cost of postage to their country. If the postage is too high, I will send the value of the prize via PayPal.

The prize for each error or omission reported will be one thin, U.S. dime. That's a pre-1965 dime, approximately 2.5 grams of 90% silver! OK, so it's not worth a million dollars, but when silver hits $150.00 an ounce, they'll be worth over $10.00 each! :lol:

All entries must be posted to this thread. The first submission of any individual error will win one prize. No editing of posts is allowed. If a post is edited, it will be disqualified. There will be a limit of 2 prizes to any member so many members can participate*. For the purposes of this contest, I am looking for typographical errors, like misspelled words, words run together without a space, punctuation errors, etc. in my printer friendly version of the book.

The contest will run till midnight, November 30, 2013. All entries must be submitted before that time based on the forum time stamp.

I hope to see many entries. I know of 20 errors. How many more can you find?

Good luck,
Dave

* Yes, there was an asterisk. I want to get as much participation as I can, so I'm setting a limit of 2 prizes per member for errors posted on the forum, but I also sincerely want to catch as many errors as possible, so here's the exception. If you find more than 2 errors, only post 2 on the forum. Then PM any others to me. If another member posts the same error on the forum, I'm afraid you won't get any additional prize. But if no one posts the same error on the forum by the end of the contest, and no one else reports the error by PM before you, you will get the prize(s) for the additional error(s). Let's keep this fun!

Great work Dave
love this now everyone will read no more excuses
page for page
Read and experment Good luck everyone

RikkiRicardo

Hi FrugalRefiner, nice contest ,
since I was reading Hokes book again on my Ipad, I continued reading the printer friendly version on my computer and I think I found one maybe two.(the second, because I pasted and copied that part)

Page 63 (the one that wasn't on my Ipad version seems a goldmine) :p :p

MOREABOUTGOLD. ALTERNATIVEMETHODS 63 (this was the copied part, and there seems to be no spaces between MORE ABOUT GOLD and ALTERNATIVE METHODS)
then same page :

"For example, one worker reports: “Recently we had occasion to test the prity of our gold, by assay, by wet analysis, and by hardness."(page 40 on the PDF)
and I will send you a third one in a PM.

anyways great fun :lol:
Thank you and I hope others are going to find more :!:

Pattt

Hi all,

Ok the third one I thought I found wasn't an error, so i can post it here now ,

My PM was :

Page 63:

"Recently we had occasion to....." sounds strange to me, but English is not my language so I don't know for sure, shouldn't it be "Recently we had an occasion?? "

I was wrong :oops: , but learned something :lol:

Pattt

pattt said:
MOREABOUTGOLD. ALTERNATIVEMETHODS 63 (this was the copied part, and there seems to be no spaces between MORE ABOUT GOLD and ALTERNATIVE METHODS)
then same page :

"For example, one worker reports: “Recently we had occasion to test the prity of our gold, by assay, by wet analysis, and by hardness."(page 40 on the PDF)
and I will send you a third one in a PM.
We have our first winner :!:

Pattt I can only give you one prize so far. The title on page 63 is the same as on the other odd numbered pages of that chapter. It is an odd format, but in the first page of the chapter and on page 63, there is a single space between the period and the "A" of Alternate. That is how it appears in my 2003 reprint as well.

But the second error you mentioned is definitely what I'm looking for. The word should be purity. It is one of the 20 errors I found and wins you one prize. You are still eligible for a second one if you find others.

Thanks for participating!
Dave

YIPIEYAYEE , Nice, Thank you, :lol:

But, I think i was just lucky, I wanted to read page 63 first since that one was missing from my Ipad version of Hoke's book :lol:

So, I want to donate my price as a thank you, to the forum.

For people like you (FrugalRefiner) doing all that work so we can learn.
And Noxx for starting this forum.
And the moderators for putting time in keeping this Forum as nice as possible ( Good work guys )
And for the Forum members for asking questions so we can learn more.
Thank you all and ... without anyone having to tell me, I am going to read some more pages in Hoke's book 8)
Have a nice night or day.

Pattt

pattt said:
I just reread Pattt's post and see that he was talking about a lack of spaces between each of the words. I agree, it looks pretty tight on the printed page but there are spaces there. Sorry for any confusion. I was just so excited to have someone send in an error! :oops:

Dave

Correct, "For the purposes of this contest, I am looking for typographical errors, like misspelled words, words run together without a space, punctuation errors, etc. in my printer friendly version of the book."

There are errors in the data as well. They are the subject of the edit I'm currently working on.

Dave

Hi all,

Ok, I found another one :shock: ( I think )

"their motors are either specially enclosed and ventilated, or skilfully placed so as to be outside the reach of the fumes.

skillfully?

its not easy I have to read every word 2 times for finding one so this read of Hoke's again, counts as two reads :lol:

this was enough for tonight :lol:

Pat

Pat,

Thank you for continuing the search!

When I first read your post, I thought you had found one I had missed. After some further checking, it appears that both skilfully and skillfully are accepted spellings. Skilfully is considered correct in British English. Skillfully is correct in American English. Of course, that's the current interpretation in 2013. I would guess the distinction wasn't as clear in 1940.

My hard copy of Hoke has the spelling as skilfully, so I can't consider it an error of the OCR software.

Since both spellings are accepted, and the text matches the hard copy, I'll leave it as it is in the printer friendly version of the book. But your continued effort deserves to be rewarded, so you have won your second prize!

Thank you for your hard work in helping find the errors.

30 days left and still at least 19 known errors.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Ok learnt something new again :lol:

I am having fun , I'll continue my search tonight, I'll go from page 30 to 50 :lol:

Thank you and have a nice day.

Pat

Time for an update. I have received 2 more error reports by PM. I was already aware of one, but one of our members found one that I had missed! Thank you Pattt for continuing the search.

We have 3 weeks left in the contest. There are still at least 18 errors waiting to be reported. I would really love to give away some more silver!

Dave

Well, I guess this wasn't much of a contest. :cry: I only received error reports from one member of the forum. Thank you very much Pattt for your help in improving my version of the book. I hope to post the update later this month.

Dave

Back