The "Find the Errors in Hoke" Contest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mac book pro battery took a crappy about a month ago so I have only been using my phone. I'm getting in for a genius bar appt. this week so I will be able to read the copy I downloaded. Then maybe I can win this thing! 8)

Tyler

Well let's give it a go; (page according to the PDF program not according to the pages of the book)

At page 5; VII. SOME SPECIAL CASES ........................................................................ 65
Green gold. White golds...--->White gold*

Page 6; Nor were these the only complications that beset the precious metal worker of the early Nineteen Hundreds. New gold alloys
appeared—white golds and green golds—...---> white gold and green gold*.

Page 28; THE COMMONEST CASE 39
(4) Dissolving the gold in aqua regia.
(5) Removing excess nitric acid.
(6) Recovering the dissolved gold with copperas.
(7) Washing the fine gold.
(8) Melting it.
(9) Saving the silver, if worth while.---> worthwhile*

Page 33; 2 REFINING PRECIOUS METAL WASTES
(2) MEL TING THE MATERIAL INTO A BUTTON. QUARTATION
In Chapter V we said that this step may or may not he necessary.---> be* necessary.

Page 33; (Green golds will be discussed
again in Chapter VII.)--->(Green gold*...

Page 35; (7) Washing the refined gold.
(8) Melting the refined gold.
(9) Saving the silver if worth while. ---> worthwhile*

Page 37; the final clear and filtered solution should contain not more than
about 5% of total acids.---> should contain no* more than...

Page 40; It depends first upon the amount and nature of the impurities that
you start with, and then upon your own skill and patience. The final
rinsings are very important. ---> rinses* are very important...

Page 40; “Recently we had occasion to test
the prity of our gold, by assay , by wet analysis, and by hardness.---> purity* of our gold...

Page 41; Green gold. White golds.---> White Gold*.

Page 42; WHITE golds
White golds, nickel golds, palladium golds, dental golds,white golds, nickel golds, nickel white golds.
------>
WHITE gold*
White gold*, nickel gold*, palladium gold*, dental gold*,white gold*, nickel gold*, nickel white gold*.

I will continue further when I have some freely available time. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the renewed interest. Although the contest officially ended Saturday night, my purpose was, and still is, to find as many errors as possible before I post my new update. So what the heck, I'll still accept any reports for the next couple of weeks and the prize remains the same.

I'm going to make one change in the rules and remove the limit per member. Following is a list of the errors already reported:

page 63 - prity = purity reported by Pattt 10/27 3:42 pm
page 110 - discussedin = discussed in reported by Pattt 11/08 5:30 pm via PM
page 105 - fiom = from reported by Pattt 11/08 5:30 pm via PM
page 128 - recoverv = recovery reported by Pattt 11/10 1:37 pm via PM
page 128 - nrecious = precious reported by Pattt 11/10 1:37 pm via PM
page 249 - Bntannica = Britannica reported by Pattt 12/01 3:43 pm via PM
page 255 - ROCESSES = PROCESSES reported by Pattt 12/01 3:43 pm via PM
page 256 - comon = common reported by Pattt 12/01 3:43 pm via PM

And now we have a new winner. 9kuuby9, thanks for taking the time. Several of the examples you've provided are more cases of writing style, especially writing style in 1940.
At page 5; VII. SOME SPECIAL CASES ........................................................................ 65
Green gold. White golds...--->White gold*
This is correct as written. On the next page she points out that "white golds, to the refiner, are of two classes: those that are whitened with nickel and those that are whitened with palladium."

Page 6; Nor were these the only complications that beset the precious metal worker of the early Nineteen Hundreds. New gold alloys
appeared—white golds and green golds—...---> white gold and green gold*.
This is from page viii of the preface. Again, it is correct as she is referring to the new varietes of alloys being used to create these colors.

Page 28; THE COMMONEST CASE 39
(9) Saving the silver, if worth while.---> worthwhile*
I had to look this one up. It's not an OCR error or a typographical error as that is how it appears in my 2003 reprint. According to the Oxford Dictionaries, "The adjective worthwhile is used both attributively (that is, before the noun) and predicatively (that is, when it stands alone and comes after the verb). In both positions, it is always correct as one word (a worthwhile book; we didn’t think it was worthwhile), but when used predicatively, it may also be written as two words: we didn’t think it was worth while." I believe that is how Hoke used it.

In Chapter V we said that this step may or may not he necessary.---> be* necessary.
Now that's a winner! It's a perfect example of OCR error. When I look at my 2003 reprint, the bottom of the circle on the b isn't quite filled out as it should be. The OCR interpreted it as an h. Thank you for catching that one!

Page 37; the final clear and filtered solution should contain not more than
about 5% of total acids.---> should contain no* more than...
This one is a matter of style. It is correct as written.

Page 40; It depends first upon the amount and nature of the impurities that
you start with, and then upon your own skill and patience. The final
rinsings are very important. ---> rinses* are very important...
Again, just a different way of saying it. It's not an error in the digital/printer friendly versions of the book compared to the original published version.

the prity of our gold, by assay , by wet analysis, and by hardness.---> purity* of our gold...
This one was reported by Pattt on 10/27/13.

The remaining references to golds are also correct as she is referring to different varieties of each color.

I hope that covers them all. 9kuuby9, if you'll PM your address, I'll check on the postage. Thanks for participating!

Dave

Thank you FrugalRefiner, I just wanted to help out a fellow member of the forum. :mrgreen:

I'll try to learn her writing style, I must say it's quite different from today. It's probably due to the decline of the human intellect.

I'll report as soon as I find any other OCR errors.

I just received another PM from Pattt with six more errors. I knew of two of them but he also found four more that I was not aware of. They are:
Page 277 : where it is boiled up with water to which is then added a small quantitiy of sulphuric acid......

Page 277 : are collected in a sump tank and pumped to a special cemening tank in the slime plant.....

Page 284 : In practice, it is found to be more economical to smelt the final ihsolubles and reduction......

Page 287 : The liquor from the fourth operation is elevevated to one ....

Page 287 : In this way the number of times that the liquor has to be elevated is reduced to a minumum

Page 288 : each ot 25 liters capacity.....
Thank you Pat for all of your hard work!

I'll be closing the contest in another week or so, so consider this last call everyone. The Belgians are way ahead on this contest!

Dave

OK, Last Post. The contest is officially over. The new versions of the book are posted in the Books and Other Information category. Thank you pattt and 9kuuby9 for helping me improve my versions of the book.

Dave

Back