140 Grams of 18K Gold and nickel ?need help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverfish

I bought some white metal (that weighs 140 grams and the Specific gravity is around 16.50 )the other day and was told it was 19k gold mixed with nickel.I guess this is a alloy called nicol or something like that name.I put it on my rub stone a (a streak) and next to it a 18k streak from my testing needels,then I put a few drops of AQUA REGIA on the streaks .In 2 minutes the white silver streak turn to a gold bronze color like the 18k and both lasted till gone in about 9 minutes and disapeared.At this point I believe the metal to be as said.I also tried to melt some with my torch (6 grams) in a ceramic dish ,it seems to have a high melt temperature and just changed shape and didn't turn liquid and spin like yellow gold and it immitted a brighter light ,after cooling it appeared a light green tint on the surface and lost its siivery sheen.I also tested the large piece and 6 gram piece on my M24 tester and both pieces tested greater than 18k white.At this point I believe the melt to be at least 18k but now I am wanting to turn the 2 pieces into cash.Is their an easy way to refine this simple hard alloy? or should I ship it out as my gold buyer is a little reluntant to purchase? 139 grams x $32 equalls $4448.Obviously I dont have any good relationships with a refiner and also do not really trust one yet to ship.I have a bottle of 500ml of aqua regia and 1000 ml of HCL and some disapate of sodium and some borax is their an easy way to refine this alloy being a large size bar without melting as I don't have ability to turn it into shot drops into water having tried to melt the smaller piece with no avail. On a different subject a have a 35 gram class ring from 1969 it is marked 14k ,the maker, than palladium.It is white gold mixed with palladium 35 grams x $24 a gram for 14k =$840 for the gold content. plus 35 grams of paladium making up the rest times 42/100 equals alloly of palladium worth around $400. Total metal value is $840 plus $400 = $1240. I want to sell both and live in central N.H. for $4650 or trade for marked Sterling silver flaware or holloware my name is Kevin H cell is 6035400017 or refine it myself

I also believe that this forum is highly overrated and their is more misdirection than explanation as reading the unanswered posts and some of the ridiculos answsers that are vauge and secret which it is not true of real good forum, like its a bid deal to be able to refine except for the saftey issues i agree.Their is no teaching here ,its just a matter of dicussing everyones process..

Hmmm Your post probably got passed over because of your unending run on sentence is too hard to read. Try paragraphs, spaces, punctuation and maybe some one will read it. Just saying, you know...

Well Kevin,

I disagree with what you've said and consider it slightly aggravating but I suppose you're entitled to believe whatever you want. You're not entitled, however, to your own facts. Fact is, there's probably more information here for free than anywhere else in the world. Fact is, there are processes discussed here for all levels, whether it be scrappers, reclaimers, brokers, or refiners. Fact is, people here aren't going to hold your hand. We do our best to keep everyone safe but if you can't do simple tasks such as searching and secondary research, perhaps you shouldn't be messing around with this subject. I know it's clustered here, but when I have a question, I go here and search and it doesn't take that long.

Granted, much information is stuck in long threads or diluted by non-helpful contributions that are downright spam. I'm sure you're just as frustrated as I am. This is being worked on by the moderators, and I'm sure it'll be exactly what you're looking for when it's finished.

As you have so much refining experience and it's no big deal, why so few contributions from you? You've been here quite some time, but I don't see you answering hundreds of questions, many of them the same problem just reiterated the same way. Step up to the plate. You're obviously dissatisfied with the way we do things here. We are too, but instead of complaining, we're doing our best to work on it. Perhaps you've forgotten that this isn't our day job (as moderators) and I'm sure our contributing members here that make great and informative posts (mostly on subjects that aren't ever, ever covered by the primary literature and refining "Bibles") don't do pro bono help as their day job.

Go ask a large refiner how they do it, and see if you get some ridiculous and furtive answers.

You sir, insult not only me and my fellow moderators, but also the contributing membership here from whom I've learned much. I'm locking this thread, because I'm sure they'll find your post less than flattering and I'd rather preempt this.

Silverfish said:
I also believe that this forum is highly overrated and their is more misdirection than explanation as reading the unanswered posts and some of the ridiculos answsers that are vauge and secret which it is not true of real good forum, like its a bid deal to be able to refine except for the saftey issues i agree.Their is no teaching here ,its just a matter of dicussing everyones process..

Kevin,

Your post is very insulting to all of the detailed hard work that myself and many other dedicated members have posted here for every member to freely read regardless of the readers contributions.

Granted there is a problem in that we have many members who do not contribute, and even some that come here simply to disrupt the forum as a whole or even worse to spread disinformation. The moderator team has been working on this issue more diligently of late and we hope to soon be making some changes in a positive direction as far as the format and content of the forum goes.

The idea that the information here is 'highly overrated' and that it is mostly misdirection is simply ludicrous. I for one consciously strive to make new meaningful posts on a regular basis as my free time permits. As I learn new techniques and 'secrets' I share them once I feel I am comfortable with what I have to share.

You can search my posts and find that more often than not, I put meat on the bones when I form a reply or new thread. I'm a man who is concerned with every one's safety as well as their success. I have no reason to be concerned for members that I hardly know and most of whom I've never met, but I do these things because it is rewarding to me to have helped a stranger, even if only in some little way.

You obviously have not put the same effort into reading the forum as I put have into writing on the forum. If all of the members here expressed your same point of view I would surely become discouraged and no longer post here.

As Lou said, feel free to post your own information as detailed as you like for everyone to read and critique. There are many nights that I spend hours researching books and the web to find an accurate meaningful answer, and then test it's validity only to answer a strangers request. I'm not required to do this, I do it because I want to. It's posts like yours that can discourage people like me, and others who may have been considering posting, from posting anything all.

I've gone as far as to give away my own gold to encourage members to post here. What have you done to encourage participation? While you are thinking over my post how about you do some reading in the 'Out of Date' section and see all of the things I've given away freely, postage and gold, to people I don't even know. I did not see you offering members gold or silver to post the best tutorial or to answer a question about Santa's reindeer. If you don't like the forum feel free to improve upon it with some of your own refining videos, photos, and instructions. It's all comes down to member participation and I can't force people to particiapte.

One last thing before I get off of my soap box. Whether you know it or not, we have many members who have come here, myself included, and actually do the work to learn the proper way to refine. So I am living proof that our members are successfully learning. I can think of many other examples of dedicated individuals who have come here knowing little or nothing and quickly learned to refine high purity gold. You are right in one respect anyone can melt karat or recover gold from e-scrap. Truly refining gold is more than just going through the motions. It takes dedication and a passion to refine gold to high purity.

I challenge you to post a link to any other forum on the web where you can see detailed step-by-step processes, with photos, for recovering and purifying Gold and PGMs. I would even go as far as to surmise that what you find will be a copy cat of what has been posted here long before the other location.

To all of the other members, I apologize for the ranting.

Steve

Silverfish said:
You're cruisin' for a bruisin', pardner.

I don't like your attitude, and it's not going to take me long to decide I don't like you.

Step up to the plate with something useful or I'll personally see to it that you can no longer post your insults. We don't want people like you on this forum, keeping it off balance, running like a pig on stilts.
Should you make the decision to post, make some attempt at sentence structure and use spell check.

You have some nerve coming on this forum being critical of those that dedicate their time when you sound like you didn't get past third grade.

Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back