14K+W hallmark

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeter629

I picked up a batch of scrap rings yesterday. One of them has a hallmark I am not familiar with. It is marked 14K+W. Is anyone familiar with this mark? If so, please let me know what the mark means. I am getting ready to acid test the ring. Thank you.

I have not heard of it either.Are you able to upload a close-up pic for us to look at?

Here is a close-up picture of the hallmark. I tested the diamonds and all five are real. I tested the gold with an acid test and it tested the same as a known 14 karat ring. I have searched and searched, but still have not found exactly what it means.

Attachments

• P1010061.JPG
    P1010061.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
Well that is a new one to me.Later on I'll see if I can't come up with something,that is unless someone else is already familiar with it.

mic said:
Well that is a new one to me.Later on I'll see if I can't come up with something,that is unless someone else is already familiar with it.

Good luck with that mic, I spent 2 to 3 hours researching it last night on the net, couldn't find anything like it, but I'm intrigued, I hope someone out there finds the answer

Typically any mark after the 14K stamp is a jeweler mark. But in this case I believe it is a mark denoting where the ring was made. The Austrian symbol is a "W" inside a crown that also looks like a rounded "W." Of course it doesn't quite fit, because it looks like the "crown" is next to the "W", perhaps the jeweler was drunk on some nice Austrian beer when he stamped it. :shock:

I wonder if it's a play on the letters. I get several hits on K&W jewelers.

How did the test come out?

If it tests right maybe you don't care who made it. :mrgreen:

Looking back at the hallmark on the ring that started this thread, that really doesn’t look like a + sign to me? I suppose it could be a stylized star, but really to me it looks almost like a pawn shop symbol? Or maybe a stylized balance scale? In any case I would say it’s just part of the maker’s mark and likely to be more legitimate than something simply stamped (by just anybody?) with just the 14K.

Attachments

• 59B757E8-E048-4ECF-915E-A6F88A2E253C.png
    59B757E8-E048-4ECF-915E-A6F88A2E253C.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 0
I have been buying gold and silver jewelry for 30+ years and I think that is a maker mark or designation mark depending on what country it has come from. I have seen gold plus sterling and sterling plus gold filled but never expressed with a + mark. I think you will find that it is just 14K

Most likely the style referenced
Style W
I have had several different rings with a oddball letter in them and a jeweler friend told me on one that I took for him to give me a value estimate to see if it would be more valuable as a ring opposed to refining valuable, he told me the letter mark was a style. He bought that ring from me, and he has been a jeweler for 45 years.
I would test it further, in the picture I can't see for sure if it is a W

Last edited:
I picked up a batch of scrap rings yesterday. One of them has a hallmark I am not familiar with. It is marked 14K+W. Is anyone familiar with this mark? If so, please let me know what the mark means. I am getting ready to acid test the ring. Thank you.
The only thing I have found in the US which has a W for a mint mark, is the West Point Mint in New York. They are a government mint that started as a Silver Fort Knox in the 1930's. They do produce collector coins, but couldn't find any jewelry production from them.

Is it stainless steel and tungsten that produce a gold tone? Much like the “gold” colored flatware that was popular for a while. Tungsten = W maybe?

Just the makers mark. You can't legally stamp the 14k without also stamping your registered makers mark so that they know who to hang by their toenails if it doesn't assay 14k.

Back