17 kilos of bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iron , it might be better with eletrolytic cell but i have never worked with this cells and do not have the faintest idea of how to do it-------
someone told me that there are drills to make holes (fillings) in these bars---i am going to try to find it.
thank you ----your ideas are always welcome
have to run a little while rh is today 9150dolars an ounce

I found this reference by Googleing, Nitric acid plus Hydrogen peroxide.

H2O2 is used in process scrubbers to eliminate NOx gases from the discharge stream. It works to re-produce the gases to Nitric acid. Certain ratios of the various NOx gases are not effectively treated this way.

It can be used to reduce or eliminate the production of NOx gases from hot Nitric acid when we are dissolving base metals. (I think some Chromic compounds are also useful this way too). Nowhere, did I find anything referencing H2O2, to be of more use in combination with Nitric for dissolving difficult alloys than Nitric acid alone.

Here is one reference I found:

www.eng-tips.com Boiling nitric Acid. Thread 124-190648. Go about half way down to 29 June 07.

Found it. :wink:

:arrow:

Attachments

• Metal_dissolution_process[1] Noxx.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Palladium, that`s right on.

I noted in the text that Iron, Copper, Lead hasten the decomposition of H2O2 and the addition of a stabilizer is recommended

Al

dear sirs:i took 200grams solid piece(part of a bar that i managed to break) and put in a solution of 3:1 nitric acid -distiled water-it gave a nice reaction and deep green collor to the solution(copper solution) --added more nitric until no more reaction---the bar became 156grams.
in this solution i added salt and no agcl was formed--then did the pd test and no pd salt-------------------------------------------------------------------
took the 156grams left and made an ar solution and heated for an hour--
it became 129grams and the solution was reddish and some powder in the becker--filtrated took out the 129 grams and to the powder added nh4oh ---it did not dissolve(again no agcl) --perhaps pbcl (white +grey(perhaps rh)----the redish liquid lost its collor and became yellowish-brown----------------------------------------------------------------------------------i repeated with the129grams with ar-----the same things happened and the bar became 95grams of a black metalic piece--then after looking
for pms in the 2ars(none) i went home very frustrated-------------------
sirs--now i have a 95grams and hoping that the pms is embedded in it!!---waiting for comments and sugestions of what to do with the 95grams left?note:this 200grams is part of the 17kilos---thanks in advance

Arthur kierski

Arthur, first, in the deep green solution, that was the result of the Nitric treatment, how did you test for Pd??

Second after the AR treatment in the reddish and yellow brown liquids you said you looked for PM`s and found none. How did you look for them?? Those colors indicate possible Pd, Pt, and Au (Gold) and maybe any of the other PGM`s.

Third the insoluble 95 gms could still be a refractive Pt form (or the other PGM`s, except Pd) or silica or other insoluble compounds.

I`m not an expert on all the PGM`s It takes a thorough knowledge of all the procedures and all the chemistry.

If you can get Sodium or Potassium Borohydride (SBH4) you can separate all the PGM`s (separate gold first) from the second liquid.

Also you have to carefully watch the PH of all the solutions and procedures. In each attempt of separating the various PGM`s you have to prepare the solution for the special separation you are after.

With 200gms starting material, you are looking only for a very few grams of PM`s.

Irons suggestion of an electrolytic cell would greatly concentrate your PM`s!!

Al

is strong reducer. you woudn't want
to react it with oxidizer like HNO3
2.What is the grade of your nitric - is it
chemicaly pure (or contains Chloride)?
3.You gave an analysis that doesn't
include Pb so wherefrom is Pb powder coming?
4.Maybe there is also iron in your stuff? Nickel?
Answers to that can help.

Yes, When I suggested using SBH4, its only in very slightly acid HCL or neutral solutions. You can drop all the PGM`s and then work on separating them.

Al

I see your point now.
What I would try next
is to heat for some hours
with H2SO4 + NaCl 15%,
assuming some Rh is there

Back