175 micron PET film x-ray film Recylcing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arsenic123

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum and have been following some post and I have learned a lot from this froums.Thanks to you all guys.
I have been working on X-ray from last few months and I can successfully extract 3-4 grams of silver from X-ray (chest / hands / legs X-ray). Recently I received a quotation for 175 micron PET film . Its a X-ray used for industrial purpose. I am planning to buy this X-ray's. I just need to know if someone has done this type of X-ray in the past or currently doing?

Generally, 100 micron and 175 micron PET film is coated with silver-sensitized layers for photographic applications mainly in professional photographic films and instant photographic applications. I have a X-ray with 150 Micron Polyster film with 12 Micron of Silver halide emulsion coated on it. I just need to know how much silver can be extracted in per kg?

I will be receiving the material next month and I will do a sample after a month but just gathering some information here. Or anyone knows the calculation of exactly how much silver can be extracted approximately per kg?

I am attaching a picture of the file here.

Thanks guys.

Happy Refining !!!

Attachments

• X-ray.jpg
    X-ray.jpg
    400 KB
  • x-ray 2.jpg
    x-ray 2.jpg
    650.5 KB
Arsenic123:

The silver content in all kind of films has been posted by The Great Master of our Brotherhood(worldwide known as GSP),download this important chart by using the search box.

About the film you have posted it contains 20 gr. of silver/kg of film depending on index exposure,if they are virgin(green) then you can expect 50 gr. of silver/kg. of film.

Keep us posted about your progress.

Kindest regards.

Manuel

The figures Manuel gave are about the same as my figures for the 175 micron (7 mil = .007") industrial film. The developed 7 mil industrial I have worked with usually ran from 17-20g/kg but, depending what it was used for, it could be all over the map (I've seen it as high as about 27g/kg and as low as about 13g/kg but both of these extremes are rare). Most virgin (green) 7 mil I have seen ran about 43g/kg, but that could vary by manufacturer. I have never seen 100 micron (4 mil) industrial or medical x-ray film - it's all been 7 mil. I would assume, though, the numbers for the 4 mil stuff would be 1.75 times greater than that of the 7 mil. The only film I've seen that was in both 4 mil and 7 mil was litho film. In that case, the 4 mil was much more common.

Thank you so much guys for the reply. I will be posting the updates regularly when I get the material and keep you posted and up to date with my progress. Just a quick question.

Should I use the same method of Caustic and HCL which I am using to extract x-ray from Medical x-ray films?
I guess that is best way to go about it, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the reply.

arsenic123 said:
Thank you so much guys for the reply. I will be posting the updates regularly when I get the material and keep you posted and up to date with my progress. Just a quick question.

Should I use the same method of Caustic and HCL which I am using to extract x-ray from Medical x-ray films?
I guess that is best way to go about it, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not familiar with a process using both caustic and HCl. Please enlighten us.

In the early 80's, I did some experiments using weak HCl alone, about 5% - 10% (v/v) at room temp, to strip film. It stripped fairly fast, the fumes were awful, and the silver from black film ended up as the pain in the *** silver chloride.

GSP,

Arthur_Kierski has mentioned that cell phone screens contain silver. I don't know the chemical composition or how it's applied, but I would guess it's similar to films used for X-Rays or even camera film. Do you think it would be feasible to try to recover the silver by crushing the screens to a powder and then melting it? The glass should be less dense than the silver allowing the silver to sink to the bottom of the melt. At that location, little air would be able to get to the silver. I haven't seen any discussion of recovering values from cell phone (or LED computer monitor) screens. Could we be throwing away an appreciable amount of silver? I have more than half filled a 5 gallon bucket with just the screens.

Bert

Latest posts

Back