• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 1847 Rogers Bros. Silver Plated 80pc silverware

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pisca

I have an 80pc silver plated silverware set made by Rogers Bros. I am interested in selling.
The set looks as though it has never been used/washed so I assume it will have the original thickness of silver plating. It has been kept in original box.
I am unsure exactly how much silver is possible to recover from these items but I thought I would offer them here before posting elsewhere.
From what I have seen, the sets go for about $150 on eBay sold listings. So that's what my asking price is. However, I am open to offers. Shipping costs are to be paid by buyer.
Since I do not have extensive knowledge on the yield, I have no idea what the set is worth.
If you just want the silverware without the wooden box, it would fit into a medium flat rate box from USPS. With the wooden box, I think there is a large flat rate it will fit into. However, we can figure out the best shipping option that works out for the buyer.

Summary:
$150+ shipping OR Make an offer 20231223_034428.jpg20231223_034534_HDR.jpg20231223_034540.jpg20231223_034519_HDR.jpg

What's the weight? That could be what most would care here. They look well worked .

I suspect that your best option is to sell it on eBay as the value of the yield will be well below your price as the knife blades are all steel with no silver.

I suspect that your best option is to sell it on eBay as the value of the yield will be well below your price as the knife blades are all steel with no silver.
That is why I said make an offer. I have no idea what the melt value would actually be. To be honest, I would rather someone get used out of them for the metal and accept a lower price than deal with people on eBay.

What's the weight? That could be what most would care here. They look well worked .
Large forks x12= 1lb 4.9oz
Small forks x12= 15.1oz
Small spoon x16= 1lb 2.2oz
Misc serving pieces x5= 8.1oz
Long handle spoons x12= 14.5oz
Med spoons x5= 8.1oz
Large spoons x5= 14.5oz
Butter Knives x12= 2lb 3.4oz

Rogers 1847 is a pattern number, nothing more.

On this site, you will find VERY few that will tender an offer more than a fraction of the silver value, as this site puts most of its efforts toward recovery and refining of precious metals.

As Nick stated above, sites such as eBay are likely to garner far more for your plated flatware than GRF. For me, I have never paid anything for silver plated anything. Too much labor for to little return.

I do wish you well on getting what you believe is a fair price.

Time for more coffee.

Think in case of knives for silverware blades are never silver.

There’s almost no silver in anything plated. Even when it’s brand new. Put it in your next yard sale and take whatever you get.

Just a note here: The weights you gave are not proper for precious metals. You listed (it appears) avoirdupois weights, while precious metals use troy weights or grams. Difference in scales:

Avoirdupois Troy
Ounce 28.35 grams 31.1 grams
Pound 16 ounces 12 ounces

So there are 453.6 grams in an Avoirdupois pound but only 373.2 grams in a Troy pound.

There are 134.8 Oz Av, which is 3821.58 grams - that comes out to 122.88 Toz or 10.24 pounds Troy.

I did not see more than possibly 1 butter knife - the 12 in the lid are regular dinner knives.

Depending on the knife handles construction, roughly half the knifes weight will be stainless steel blades, so a bit over 16 Toz or 1.3 T pounds needs to be subtracted from the above as non-plated. That comes to 8.9 pounds Troy for the set.

If I recall correctly, Rogers always uses brass for the base metal. The set pattern is very common. Rogers has several very similar patterns, check all of them to make sure none in the set are sterling silver. I have run across a couple of sets that were mixed plated and sterling.

Our local Goodwill is selling silverplate flatware for $0.19 each. Piles of silverplate, both flatware and serving pieces, are going at minimum bid ($1-$5) on the local auction houses. The effort isn’t worth the return unless you don’t value your time.

Back