• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale 250g Batches Non-magnetic MLCCs - No Inductors

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaMora

MLCCs were hand picked from older boards and decided not to process for PGMs due to lack of knowledge and proper equipment.

Product (MLCCs) are NOT pure 100% solid palladium and instead contains 3-4% palladium by weight for precious metals recovery. 4% of 250g is 10g, times the current price for palladium.

Roughly 90% of MLCCs are fully non-magnetic from electronics prior to 1990s. Roughly 10% of MLCCs are slightly magnetic. No MLCCs sold are fully magnetic (silver/nickel) and no grey inductors are included.

Pictured item will be the exact item you will receive if purchased.

If purchased, buyer agrees to the description.

All Sales are Final - Would not accept returns/refunds due to possibility of item replacement with magnetic MLCCs.

View on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115583517560
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20221008_135812.jpg
    20221008_135812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221008_140008.jpg
    20221008_140008.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
3-4% palladium by weight
Hmmm

Just ran some numbers (based on the high end 4% recovery)

$1,831 (current spot price)
= $58.87 (spot per gram)
X 10 grams (estimated recovery @ high end 4%)
= $588.70
X .85 (percentage refinery will pay for less the 1 ozt Pd sent in)
= $500.39
- $35 (assay fee charged by refinery for less then 1ozt sent in)
= $465.39 (paid out by refinery on 10 grams)

$500 (your asking price)
- $465.39 (what I would get paid from refinery I send my metal to)
$34.61 (money lost on this deal)

AND - that does not include my cost in time - chemicals - waste treatment/disposal to process the MLCCs in order to recover actual metal I can send to refinery

To put that above recovery cost in perspective (time/chems/waste treatment) the refinery I deal with would charge for processing low grade scrap like this the following

$588.70 (spot value @ 4% recovery)
X .80 (payout rate on metal recovered from low grade scrap like this)
= $470.96
- $225 (processing fee charged on lots under 60 pounds sent in)
= $245.96
- $20 (assay fee on recovered metal after processing)
= $225.96 (actual value - after processing cost - IF -the BIG IF - you actually get the high end 4% recovery)

So - after factoring processing cost - IF - you only got the low end recover of 3% on a 250 gram lot of MLCCs would actually be ----------

$225.96 (recovered value - after processing cost @ 4%)
- $147.17 (due to only 3% recovery instead of 4%)
= 78.79

In other words - IMO - your asking price of $500 (which is near spot price of actual metal) on 250 grams of low grade scrap - that has a cost of time/chems/waste treatment in order to recover the metal - is more then I could get for the actual metal --- without even factoring in the cost of recovering the metal

Again - to put that in perspective - IF - (the BIG IF) I recovered the full 10 grams of Pd - the refinery I send my metal to would only pay me $465.39 on that 10 grams

AND - that does not even factor in my very real processing cost to recover that 10 grams

To put it another way - you said ----
decided not to process for PGMs due to lack of knowledge and proper equipment.

So you don't want to spend your own cost in time/chems/waste treatment - BUT - you want someone else to buy the scrap - that needs processing - for more then they would get selling the meal to a refinery - before the cost of recovery

In no way am I saying you are trying to scam anyone - I am simply saying it's not a good deal - not even close to a good deal

That said - it is for sale on ebay - so you will likely get what you are asking - & you would not be ripping anyone off (the buyer beware thing)

I just want members here to understand that they likely will not see a return of their $500 - let alone a profit

Kurt

I couldn't agree more regarding the points you bring up. But remember, that is only the argument from the perspective of the buyer and not the seller.

How long do you think it'd take the average person scrapping electronics to acquire 250 grams of such material?
How many batches of MLCCs would you need to buy from eBay to accumulate/pick out 250 grams of only the non-magnetic MLCCs?

It took me about 1 year to acquire just 500 grams of non-magnetic MLCCs with a steady supply of older electronics.

Speaking of time and labor from the seller would be the other side of the argument. Trust me, making money off e-scraping/recovery/refining is not my goal. It's like finding a beautiful nugget of gold, does it go for spot?

Not in the game to rip anyone off, including myself haha. There will be a buyer who weighs the above arguments and makes his/her own personal choice into what is a good or bad deal.

Hmmm

Just ran some numbers (based on the high end 4% recovery)

$1,831 (current spot price)
= $58.87 (spot per gram)
X 10 grams (estimated recovery @ high end 4%)
= $588.70
X .85 (percentage refinery will pay for less the 1 ozt Pd sent in)
= $500.39
- $35 (assay fee charged by refinery for less then 1ozt sent in)
= $465.39 (paid out by refinery on 10 grams)

$500 (your asking price)
- $465.39 (what I would get paid from refinery I send my metal to)
$34.61 (money lost on this deal)

AND - that does not include my cost in time - chemicals - waste treatment/disposal to process the MLCCs in order to recover actual metal I can send to refinery

To put that above recovery cost in perspective (time/chems/waste treatment) the refinery I deal with would charge for processing low grade scrap like this the following

$588.70 (spot value @ 4% recovery)
X .80 (payout rate on metal recovered from low grade scrap like this)
= $470.96
- $225 (processing fee charged on lots under 60 pounds sent in)
= $245.96
- $20 (assay fee on recovered metal after processing)
= $225.96 (actual value - after processing cost - IF -the BIG IF - you actually get the high end 4% recovery)

So - after factoring processing cost - IF - you only got the low end recover of 3% on a 250 gram lot of MLCCs would actually be ----------

$225.96 (recovered value - after processing cost @ 4%)
- $147.17 (due to only 3% recovery instead of 4%)
= 78.79

In other words - IMO - your asking price of $500 (which is near spot price of actual metal) on 250 grams of low grade scrap - that has a cost of time/chems/waste treatment in order to recover the metal - is more then I could get for the actual metal --- without even factoring in the cost of recovering the metal

Again - to put that in perspective - IF - (the BIG IF) I recovered the full 10 grams of Pd - the refinery I send my metal to would only pay me $465.39 on that 10 grams

AND - that does not even factor in my very real processing cost to recover that 10 grams

To put it another way - you said ----

So you don't want to spend your own cost in time/chems/waste treatment - BUT - you want someone else to buy the scrap - that needs processing - for more then they would get selling the meal to a refinery - before the cost of recovery

In no way am I saying you are trying to scam anyone - I am simply saying it's not a good deal - not even close to a good deal

That said - it is for sale on ebay - so you will likely get what you are asking - & you would not be ripping anyone off (the buyer beware thing)

I just want members here to understand that they likely will not see a return of their $500 - let alone a profit

Kurt
The last batch of non-magnetic MLCCs I bought online was 7.5 kilos for $795 USD. The source guaranteed they came from mid 1980s IBM PCs, mainframes, and A/V boards from that era. The yield was fairly high as this material goes. It was a feasible deal. The purchase was Feb 2022.
JaMora need to figure in the benefit of engendered goodwill in a win-win. Nobody gets 100% of what they want, but everybody wins a little. If not, welcome to EBay.

Wow, 7.5 kilos of non-magnetic MLCCs...

Okay, went ahead and changed the price as the people have spoken :cool:

If it sells, it sells. If not, I'll have more to play with when I get my fume hood. But for the component quality and work put into collecting them, I just cant consciously go lower.

Wow, 7.5 kilos of non-magnetic MLCCs...

Okay, went ahead and changed the price as the people have spoken :cool:

If it sells, it sells. If not, I'll have more to play with when I get my fume hood. But for the component quality and work put into collecting them, I just cant consciously go lower.

Sometimes you just have to leave them alone. The reality is that it may not be worth your time removing them.

I could spend 75 hours scraping dog sh*t from the back yard but that doesn’t mean it has any more value because of my time invested.

I scrap them all. Stock up and run it some day, or sell them if the metals go up in value they become more viable with every raise in PM price.

Just wanted to add. I’m not throwing mud. I think everything has a different value to some people.

If someone wanted to speculate that palladium was going through the roof they may scoop it up at a price higher than your original asking price.

Some pretty high numbers :D

Since I do not process modern type MLCCs, I can´t say if they can go up to 40g/kg Pd. Altough that is the territory where old soviet era MLCCs run on average - and these I process on regular basis. But I seen industrial grade high-end BOARDS, that run 5-10g/kg Pd (Pd from MLCCs and relays). So I do not say it isn´t possible.

But with MLCCs, I am always sceptical in terms of yields. I burned myself so many times with this material, I do not take any chances. Sometimes you need to say no to the proposed deal. That is why I prefer to work with long-term customers - and toll refine the given batches. Relatively homogenous sample is pulled out of the lot, smelted in induction furnance and dore shot with XRF. We both see where the numbers will roughly settle, I then process the whole lot and give the previously agreed percentage to the owner in money or PMs extracted.

Buying uncertain/unknown material is very risky. In sake of your own defense, you need to lowball the seller with your purchasing price, to be sure you won´t go to the red numbers. And expected, he declines your offer - because he believe there is more value inside. Same old story over and over again :)

Best I ever saw was in the 7-8 wt % range and one of the members here had a once-in-a-lifetime load that was in the 6s if I recall, with lots of silver and traces of gold.

Latest posts

Back