400 LBS of newer silver plated flatware question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also 6 gram from 1,3 kilo flatware? If you do it for fun/learning it's OK I think. If not better sell it as is, you get 24 euro per kilo for 90/100 stamped flatware.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn STK-LX1 met Tapatalk

Yeah, I know its not much, and i won't get rich from it. Just for the sake of learning and general knowledge for others to make their decision to do it or not.
Sometimes it's just not worth chasing tiny amounts. In this case there is no way to make a profit on it.
But i'll have some more silver to play with.
I am just hungry for knowledge i guess. Its kind of an addiction :roll:
But i think there is about 1 gram still left in the cementing beaker. And there may be some still on the flatware, i am working on that now. Will take some time to finish. I am going to take it slow and stop when the material looks different on the surface.
Have to look for a silver test to test the surface to be sure.

I know there not much on Silver Plated Stuff but @72 retired it give me something to do. I been looking and there is Silver Plated Stuff around and cheap but it add up. After I seen what Martijn got and his amount he did, what I did mind don't look that bad. The H2O Cell is safe to do I will start getting some more Silver Plated Stuff to do.

Martijn your Little 6 gram nugget looks great.

Thanks.
And great to hear my results made you give it another try.
I'll run the silver together with other e-scrap silver through my small silver cell to get nice pure crystals.
Love that shiny stuff.

I have about 500 grams of Streling Silver to do after I receive my 70% Nitro Acid then I should get about 14.87 Troy Ounces.

I ask my Landlord today when anyone move out save all Silver and Gold stuff he fine for me.

Update: filtered the electrolyte in between redoing the partially deplated spoons.
After one new spoon and three deplated spoons and one deplated fork i got another six grams.
It took more HNO3 to dissolve this time due to more other oxides i think. The spoons come out looking horribly scarred. Still some silver in hollow parts where the current won't go. I'll consider that a loss.

Melted it together with the last button in a new little bar.

20210112_215116.jpg

So i'm expecting at least another 10 to 15 grams from the rest of this now 1.4 kilo of flat ware. (1 new spoon added)

That could be close to 200 gram for the bag of 10 kg. Maybe more. So 1.5% to 2% of the weight is pure silver plating.
Kind of acceptable for a process that only needs turning of an item every two hours or so. And the nitric wash is easy and fast without NO fumes. I am going to save the 'slimes' until its all done.
Running the cell at 25 volts now. Resulting in +/- 200mA.
Nitric use so far: about 25 ml 5% HNO3. So about 2ml used per gram of silver recovered.
Cementing the silver on a copper sheet from my coppersulfate cell.

Will post the total yield when this small bunch is done.
And some time next year, the total yield of the whole bag. :lol:

Martijn.

I got done with all my Silver Plated Flatware when I get my Nitric Acid I will do a Nitric wash on what I did and when I Cementing the silver on a copper I will give a update on how many grams I get.

It is possible to scale this up. Larger tote with a serving tray on one side and several pieces of flatware suspended from a copper bar works pretty good. Cut the serving tray to fit works better.

If I have to get bored, I prefer to be bored and pick up a bit of change in the process, :D

I dreamt about a slowly rotating automatic clamping and turning conveyor belt system over a long bath tub... :lol: :lol:
Just have to get the feeding system right :lol: :lol:

Back