A gallery of home built hoods and fume scrubbers

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had the space to use these plans yet.
And you would have to substitute some materials for modern alternatives.
But I think the old wooden cupboards were classy.
Just wondering how the electrical outlets hold up in a corrosive atmosphere. Also, as discussed earlier, how about possibly nitrating the cellulose in the wood? Other then that, I agree, a very presentable hood.

Mine has been down for a while. Been doing more family things lately. But hopefully as it cools off later, maybe.

Just wondering how the electrical outlets hold up in a corrosive atmosphere. Also, as discussed earlier, how about possibly nitrating the cellulose in the wood? Other then that, I agree, a very presentable hood.
You really would not want any electrical plug in the hood itself.
What I have in mine is a hole I can pass leads through that can be plugged into a four-way.
A negative air pressure means it does not need to be sealed.
I have all my complicated electronics such as the power supply for the silver cell in an adjacent shed and pass the wiring through the wall.
Very important to separate sensitive equipment from your main workspace whenever possible.

You really would not want any electrical plug in the hood itself.
What I have in mine is a hole I can pass leads through that can be plugged into a four-way.
A negative air pressure means it does not need to be sealed.
I have all my complicated electronics such as the power supply for the silver cell in an adjacent shed and pass the wiring through the wall.
Very important to separate sensitive equipment from your main workspace whenever possible.
silicone over all - seems to be a pain in the rear to remove for everything escrap related

Here is a picture of my very first “hood”, it lasted longer than I thought. Cannot find any pictures of it completed.

Attachments

• 849.jpeg
    849.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 850.jpeg
    850.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 853.jpeg
    853.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 0
Was that a Rubbermaid trash can shed? I've always thought they would make a good starter hood.
It was used to store yard tools in when I got it. Seemed a bit small for much more than a 20 gallon or so garbage can. Maybe two cans at a time.

what's missing in the photo is the standard American reference for size, also known as a beer can!
Best I remember it was just over waist high. Maybe 3 to 3 1/2 feet high. 20 to 24 inch’s deep front to back. About 3 foot wide.
It only opened from the top and had 5 or 6 long water hoses stored in it when I got it. I cut the front opening and attached pvc inside to act as a window frame. This way I used a sheet of plexiglass for the door and could slide it up and down to adjust for air flow and a work opening. Originally it went it straight up like a chimney. Eventually, as I learned more, I changed it to come out high in the back and turned up at a 45 degree angle that lead into an upright pipe that could catch any moisture in a trap at the bottom. Similar to a sideways T. It also had a rain guard type cover I made to avoid any incoming water due to weather. It was plastic so care was needed to not over heat it. It worked well until we moved to the new place a few years ago. All this was done sometime around 2013 or so.

View attachment 63445
Here's the inside of my hood with the scrubber I am using. Hood is 48in x 30x32. The tray in the bottom is disposable and replaceable. The hood is made from Melamine and I built it myself.

Very impressive and Clean 👍
If it is possible can you post a picture of the tray that You use it.

I will like to use that tray,in my next fume hood
because is a great idea.
Thank You for posting

Here's the inside of my hood with the scrubber I am using. Hood is 48in x 30x32. The tray in the bottom is disposable and replaceable. The hood is made from Melamine and I built it myself.

That picture must be when it was newly built.... I don't see any silver nitrate or hydrochloric splatter staining........ yet.

I've been using mine since 2018 and it looks like a modern art painting ...:)

Mahogany frame.
PVC lined.
Plexi glass sliding sash.
12 feet of LED ribbon crudely taped around the border of the sash for lighting all round.
Not pretty but works for me.

Attachments

• 438267357_3293586674277737_3492139984001660809_n.jpg
    438267357_3293586674277737_3492139984001660809_n.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 0
Mahogany frame.
PVC lined.
Plexi glass sliding sash.
12 feet of LED ribbon crudely taped around the border of the sash for lighting all round.
Not pretty but works for me.

Awesome....

Those steel rods and clamps will, over time require constant attention. Hydrochloric fumes are pretty relentless on any metal anywhere near it. I have to keep my lab stands out of the lab until I need them when (rarely) distilling nitric. I did make an oak wooden stand I keep in the hood for basic filtering.

Awesome....

Those steel rods and clamps will, over time require constant attention. Hydrochloric fumes are pretty relentless on any metal anywhere near it. I have to keep my lab stands out of the lab until I need them when (rarely) distilling nitric. I did make an oak wooden stand I keep in the hood for basic filtering.
They are feeling it, but i suppose most lab hardware has a shelf life when we ask it to work around the chemicals we use.

I like @AuggieDog setup with the ported flask bungs. Takes up a little more real estate but i coudl get rid of the clamps.

Latest posts

Back