A 'gold mine' of unused gold-plated parts!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alondro

Supporting Member
So a pile of these now rather rare and expensive parts practically fell into my lap today from a guy who does cleanouts. He was just throwing them all away, so I swiftly rescued them!

I want to sell them off rather than scrap them, because, as I say, they're totally new and unused. A large number of them are the gold-leg types of transistors, PROMs, and many other parts!

I'll post some pics when I have time to sort through the bag and locate the best-preserved ones.

I also may get some SPECTACULAR boards from him this weekend... from OSCILLOSCOPES!! I got a look at 3 of them and almost passed out from the gold-plated ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING on them!

A few of the items. I don't have too much time through the week, and there are a lot of little envelopes to look through with small parts!

Attachments

• IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    867.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    883.6 KB · Views: 0
More of the goodies! But not even the best yet! The last pic is a nice relay switch with gold 'bar' contact buttons and gold-plated leads. It's in magnificent condition and goes into the 'collectibles' group.

Attachments

• IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    906.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    933.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    733 KB · Views: 1
That is some nice stuff. I wish you that it will be as good as old USSR scrap.

I like the style of the old US boards, how they were made, nice rounded traces and beautiful discrete components. Accurate amount of precious metals. Not excessive like in the east (as guys were unable to reliably produce functional components without it - or simply could not produce uniform thinner plating). I still have several nice boards saved, as they were too nice to scrap. Mainly due to Pd or Rh plated fingers - I don´t know which of them - but the finger is PM plated, and it is not gold nor silver.

BTW, relays like these for specialized equipment can sometimes have solid gold contacts. But I do not know much about wester electronics. If it was found where I live, and was some local "brand", there would be high chance that points will be AuNi5 alloy, or Au70AgNi. I once processed a lot of around 500 of such relays. Satisfaction guaranteed :)

That is some nice stuff. I wish you that it will be as good as old USSR scrap.

I like the style of the old US boards, how they were made, nice rounded traces and beautiful discrete components. Accurate amount of precious metals. Not excessive like in the east (as guys were unable to reliably produce functional components without it - or simply could not produce uniform thinner plating). I still have several nice boards saved, as they were too nice to scrap. Mainly due to Pd or Rh plated fingers - I don´t know which of them - but the finger is PM plated, and it is not gold nor silver.

BTW, relays like these for specialized equipment can sometimes have solid gold contacts. But I do not know much about wester electronics. If it was found where I live, and was some local "brand", there would be high chance that points will be AuNi5 alloy, or Au70AgNi. I once processed a lot of around 500 of such relays. Satisfaction guaranteed :)
These parts were from a company (Tektronix) that makes very precise testing equipment. Much of what I've gotten dates to 1970. The company is still around today as a subsidiary of a larger corporation, and has a store in Philadelphia, PA, just off Bustleton Ave.

Back