a/p solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscrapper

what does it mean when my a/p solution turns clear and I see copper salt in bottom of bottle ? Do I need to add more HCL or more Peroxide ? This is the first time that my solution has done this .

dscrapper,

Lazersteve has a very detailed document on his site about the copper(II) chloride process. I don't recall whether it discusses your specific situation, but it may get you heading in the right direction. There's a link to his site in any of his posts. Look for the documents section on his site. They're all worth downloading.

Dave

Thanks Frugal I will look that up and read it . Let me tell you what has gotten me confused . I have a 16 oz bottle of about 1/4 fill what I think is high grade gold pins which has been in A/P for about a month . Which I check it from time and when I do the solution is clear . at first I added more hcl and didnt notice any change then I added peroxide and the solution turned green then checked it again the next morning and clear again poured off some more solution and did it again. have been doing this for over a month. Let me say that I am not a pro but also this isnt my first rodeo .

dscrapper said:
Thanks Frugal I will look that up and read it . Let me tell you what has gotten me confused . I have a 16 oz bottle of about 1/4 fill what I think is high grade gold pins which has been in A/P for about a month . Which I check it from time and when I do the solution is clear . at first I added more hcl and didnt notice any change then I added peroxide and the solution turned green then checked it again the next morning and clear again poured off some more solution and did it again. have been doing this for over a month. Let me say that I am not a pro but also this isnt my first rodeo .

You need to study some more about how much metal will be dissolved by how much acid. 16 Fl ounces of 32% hcl has the potential (as copper(II) chloride) to dissolve 4 ounces of copper pins. That's not really a good hand full. Since the bottle is only 16 ounces and counting the room for the pins and you said you added some more acid, you don't have enough solution for the amount of metal you want to dissolve.

From your description, you aren't adding any air to the solution. Without getting air (oxygen) the solution will die out.

bswartzwelder said:
From your description, you aren't adding any air to the solution. Without getting air (oxygen) the solution will die out.

You are right . hit the nail on the head. I have the top on and it's not getting any air took top off now I'm back on the road 8)

dscrapper said:
bswartzwelder said:

You are right . hit the nail on the head. I have the top on and it's not getting any air took top off now I'm back on the road 8)

please read more.

do not "close" a bottle with acid/peroxide. it may explode from pressure building up. you always want to let the pressure excape
you do not want to be next to a pressure explosion of acid :!:

you also do not want your gold all over the floor, here on the forum we all put safety first, acid in your eyes is never a good thing
please take your time & study. your gold will not go anywhere, there is no difference in processing it today or next year.

dscrapper said:
bswartzwelder said:

dscrapper

please note what I underlined in the 2 above quotes - its not just a matter of taking the top off so that air get to the solution --- the air needs to be "added" to the solution - this is done by bubbling the air into the solution

As necromancer said - you need to read more - Do NOT Put A Cap On &/or Seal Tight Containers That Have Had Reagents (chemicals) Mixed &/or Are Reacting With Metals --- reactions produce gases which result in pressure build up if not vented :!:

I hope you are not doing this in your house --- all parts of doing this produces both toxic & corrosive fumes - the best is to have a fume hood & a way to scrub the fumes - but at the very least it needs to be done outside --- There Is NO Safe Way To Do This In The House :!:

Kurt

Thanks Guys for your help. I do all my work outside weather permitting . if it to cold I let it wait until it is warmer. I already have my nugget for this year . a 4.3 grams

Latest posts

Back