A quick general question on leaching technology ......

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone knows and has a basic answer to this question, but ...... what's the primary reason the leaching solutions (particularly those being marketed as newer eco-friendly formulations) can quickly dissolve the precious metals - but do not quickly dissolve the main computer parts? ..... what is the basic premise of this fast/strong stripping relationship between the precious metals & the solution, but not with the other computer components? ..... i've searched for an "easy to understand" answer on Google, but i can't find anything helpful for a leaching novice.

Not sure if anyone knows and has a basic answer to this question, but ...... what's the primary reason the leaching solutions (particularly those being marketed as newer eco-friendly formulations) can quickly dissolve the precious metals - but do not quickly dissolve the main computer parts? ..... what is the basic premise of this fast/strong stripping relationship between the precious metals & the solution, but not with the other computer components? ..... i've searched for an "easy to understand" answer on Google, but i can't find anything helpful for a leaching novice.
For plain Cyanides, the concentration and time is the key.
They are not truly selective, since they will pick up copper and other metals,
but in low concentrations they attack the Gold faster than the others.

For the ECO "concoctions" it is probably a mix, since most of them are Cyanide based (Ferro/Ferri Cyanides) concentration play a role, additionally there is added a mixture of "who knows compounds" that I guess do a few things, passify the Copper and other common base metals and then most of the time lock the Gold into the solution so you have to buy their own anti concoction to get it out.

Generally none of our leaching solutions will attack the boards or other non metallic components at all.

For plain Cyanides, the concentration and time is the key.
They are not truly selective, since they will pick up copper and other metals,
but in low concentrations they attack the Gold faster than the others.

For the ECO "concoctions" it is probably a mix, since most of them are Cyanide based (Ferro/Ferri Cyanides) concentration play a role, additionally there is added a mixture of "who knows compounds" that I guess do a few things, passify the Copper and other common base metals and then most of the time lock the Gold into the solution so you have to buy their own anti concoction to get it out.

Generally none of our leaching solutions will attack the boards or other non metallic components at all.
Ok ... thanks for the insights .... that does help ... a totally newbie with zero understanding of the process might be under the impression that the leaches turn everything into sludge quickly.

Back