a subjective question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glondor

I tried acid/clorox for a test a few months ago. It really smelled. so much so I would hesitate to use it in my back yard. I have not had a chance to try acid/peroxide yet. Does it have as powerful of a smell? I really need a not so stinky method. Which method smells the least?

I will rather not call acid/Clorox a method. It is used to further purify gold foils obtained by Acid/peroxide f.e..
Most of processes where acids are used or their combination are smelly, that's why fume hood and scrubber is a must have. Purifying small quantities using A/Clorox will not release much of chlorine gas so you do not need to worry much however if you plan to process more think about fume hood and scrubber.

My first instinct is that if you are having troubles with the smell of your reactions, you are not using proper fume control and/or safety gear.

There are many variables not mentioned here, but generally speaking adding Clorox (sodium hypochlorite) to HCl will generate more free Cl2 (Chlorine gas) than the same amount of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide).

Chlorine gas is not something you want to inhale. The key to using it in refining is to use small additions of the chemicals you use to create the gas instead of an excess that is wasted to the fume hood or worst yet the atmosphere. This is very similar to adding nitric in small increments when digesting with nitric alone or its use in AR. The red gas with nitric is just easier to see than the green gas of chlorine. You will also see the savings in your wallet/purse as you will consume less reagents.

As to HCl and Cl2 being called a method or not depends on your definition of “method” perhaps. I use a fair amount of chlorine gas in refining and do not restrict its use to only final processes. I use it as a primary process in particular when digesting platinum group metals. Platinum group metals are very susceptible to chlorine as a digesting medium.

Thanks guys. I did do a little test outdoors and I was a little surprised by the smell. I did have gloves and safety glasses on . I will try the additions in small increments out side while I experiment. I was hoping to do this from my home but I think the smell may bother the neighbors so I am looking for a suitable facility in my area, but not having any luck yet. I will use a hood indoors and all proper precautions.

Latest posts

Back