about cobalt and nickel !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeRKaN PGM HuNTeR

Hello,

How can I separate nickel and cobalt metals separately from the iron powders I have accumulated in the geothermal field with a neodymium magnet,
I would be very happy if you could share with me an instructive article that partially contains chemicals.

respect

Hello,

How can I separate nickel and cobalt metals separately from the iron powders I have accumulated in the geothermal field with a neodymium magnet,
I would be very happy if you could share with me an instructive article that partially contains chemicals.

respect
Since this is a forum for Precious metals, we rarely discuss any refining of other metals.
From time to time we do, but not often.
I do believe you will have better luck with your questions in another forum.

Take caution I suspect dangerous compounds involved in nickel ores, I would study and understand the dangers involved with all processes before proceeding to any kind of recovery or refining of the materials.

Just my guess of a way I might look into to see if I can find a viable method of separation...

The metals are so close in series, both can be put into a solution together as ions.

With ore, roasting will remove many of the problems associated with leaching or other extraction methods.

Ammonia or ammonium hydroxide will form a soluble complex with nickel, and with its alkaline or basic nature it can be can precipitate iron as insoluble hydroxides.

Then with the chemical reduction of the nickel complex, changing its ionic arrangement to something like a nickel ammonium sulfate compound that can be run through an electrolytic cell...

just a guess

It's not related to the topic, but I have two UV flashlights, 365 nm and 254 nm uv, how can I get valuable material, I found a picture on twitter, are these references correct? or how can I use these two tools, my location is geothermal field and fault lines are available.

DqBYyQvUcAA20wd.jpg

It's not related to the topic, but I have two UV flashlights, 365 nm and 254 nm uv, how can I get valuable material, I found a picture on twitter, are these references correct? or how can I use these two tools, my location is geothermal field and fault lines are available.

View attachment 54407
I can't see how this can work.
Is there dissolved Gold in the Hydrothermal water?
If so, it is in concentrations so low it can barely be measured.
It can and will cement out in Geological time frames, but I doubt it is doable in time frames we like to follow.

What kind of symbols are this anyway.
265nm will turn what kind of Gold into what kind of Gold and then 254nm will turn it to something else.

The reference shows the fluorescent effect in the compounds as a color in this way, I need a digital measurement to say something clearly, maybe this picture may even be fake.

Does anyone in your forum team research mines using UV flashlights? I'm new to this community, I just joined. UV flashlights are used in minerals, but I don't know to what extent metals.

The reference shows the fluorescent effect in the compounds as a color in this way, I need a digital measurement to say something clearly, maybe this picture may even be fake.

Does anyone in your forum team research mines using UV flashlights? I'm new to this community, I just joined. UV flashlights are used in minerals, but I don't know to what extent metals.
Never heared about it, but we can use UV to activate Ferro/Ferri Cyanides.

Several rocks or minerals will glow under black light or ultraviolet light under certain frequencies of light emissions.

many crystal types like fluorites, some others like chromium in ruby, zirconium, tungstates, calcite, gypsums, manganese, or selenites,

I have only used light for finding brightly colored Fluorite ore crystals, n pretty glow in the light but almost as easily found in most any light, the rocks already stick out like sore thumbs, and the fluorite crystals are mostly for the wife's nik-nak shelf or maybe a little powdered for a flux additive.

I do not see any relation to gold, although gold also reflects certain frequencies of light.

gold can be thinned flat thin enough to see through the gold foil we only see green when looking through gold, used in arc welding glass shields, and other applications, gold also makes good laser mirrors,

They use gold as well as many other metals in medicines (or some medical poisons, or radioactive medicines...) Light in UV range to other frequencies such as X-ray and you name it in the medical or biological fields, that type of thing is what the images pictured above remind me of (biological or carbon-based chemistry, not much to do with gold in rocks.

I would forget the fancy flashlight and learn how to pan for gold if gold was my goal.

light will decompose some materials, can chemically, or can produce or cause electro-chemical reactions or effects, photography silver gold mercury, or some other halides or metal or chemicals salts reacting to light, as mentioned cyanide as well as nitric acid ...

very active metals sodium, potassium, cesium, and rubidium with exposure to radiant light frequencies can cause electrons to move or be removed, photoelectric and its effects...

Spectrography using light movement and splitting to determine elements... ...

Some crystals or rocks split light like the rocks the early sailors used to navigate to sail the oceans.

Gases like chlorine and others react to light... as well as chlorine or others in solution (pools for swimming or water treatment to kill germs or ultraviolet for aggravating or killing those little tiny biological critters...

I would also research the methods used before chasing my wild ideas ( although they do get me places), I can waste a lot of time running in circles...

Other things will react with metals or their salts and as well in chemical reactions like heat or cold, sound frequencies, vibration, magnetic fields, microwave or radio frequencies, and electricity, well I am just rambling now.

Last edited:
Hello,

I didn't want to open a new topic: how can I get rid of nickel and cobalt. According to the scan from the wiki, it reads that sulfuric acid dissolves cobalt, and nitric acid dissolves nickel metal, is that true? Is there a 100% solution method?

Regards

Have you tested it so you know there are not toxic elements like Arsenic, Cadmium or Mercury?
Is this in metallic form or as minerals?
Ores/minerals are not recommended/suited to be treated by acids directly.

You need to know what you have first.
Cobalt or Nickel would most likely be in small amounts and might not react as expected in mineral form.

Nickel by itself reacts with HCl, Cobalt seems to be soluble in HCl as well,
but be aware, Cobalt is almost always found together with Arsenic.

Back