about platinum precipitation!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum.

Everything is here. But Platinum metal salts are very toxic.
What experience do you have with Precious Metals and Chemistry?

Your descriptions are so out of character that I guess you have little experience.
It is called Aqua Regia, not AquaRegina.
And it is called precipitate not crash, crashing is an accident and you do not want accidents in a lab.

We want all newcomers to read a book called "Refining precious metal wastes" by C.M. Hoke
https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=19798This will give you the basic chemical processing around refining.
Then we want you to study the section for safety and treating waste.
Newbie at Everything(NAE):
Hello :

Can’t anyone tell me what if any part of the posts that capacitors are sitting affixed onto are palladium?

Thanks

Hello :

Can’t anyone tell me what if any part of the posts that capacitors are sitting affixed onto are palladium?

Thanks

There is so many different manufacturers and era's to list them all. If you have pictures of the capacitors you have, that would be easier to identify. Most (not all) modern capacitors do not contain Pd.

🤔, hmmm

Hello :

Thanks
Some, actually in these days, few, was constructed of Palladium ceramic layers with Silver.
Today most are made of Nickel.
They are called MLCC's and have different size and may even look different.
Usually a light brown rectangular block with silvery ends.

Last edited:
Thank you for your prompt response and advice. Do you know roughly how much that would all cost?
I would love to have all of those items, but unfortunately, I doubt that I could afford it financially.
I am broke as a joke ( and a bad joke at that!), however, as soon as I can afford to, I would definitely like to look into acquiring that stuff, just don't know when that will be.

Great suggestion though! I didn't even think about it. And I know that I am probably derailing this thread with my million seemingly unrelated questions that have little to do with the topic. So, I do very much apologize for that.

One last question though: whenever you use a Charmin plug, as I have heard it referred to, for the finely divided precious metals, what do you then do with it? Dry it out? Put it in with old filter papers? Burn it and then try to wash out all the carbon?

I must know. 😆

Thanks for answering in advance.

-Samuel
Cold sulfuric acid can be filterable through non-wowen polypropylene textile, like geotextile for gardening. Practically anything could be filtered through non-wowen PP cloth, what can be through filter paper. PP has better chemical resistance, and it is dirt cheap - if it is messy or sticked with some filtered goo, just toss it to the bin and make another one.

Eventually, FFP2 respirators are made from the same material (good ones, which burn like candle without significant ash when light on fire) :D Yes, I used respirators and face masks for filtering... I can say they were thoroughly disinfected afterwards :D

Also reusable shopping bags tend to sometimes be made from this PP fabric, it is good to check it before use, if it is really PP (burn test). These make nice filtering pads, as you need to weld only one side :D

I have Aqua Regia containing platinum after I precipitate gold (Stannous test giving me orange color). Can I precipitate platinum using zinc or iron?

Back