about sulfuric acid and sodium hypochloric !

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeRKaN PGM HuNTeR

Hello all,

Aqua Regia alternatively, what will we use to precipitate palladium and platinum with this method, let's say what we will use to precipitate platinum and palladium from the heavy sands left at the bottom of the pan? I'm a level 1 beginner chemist so I wanted to ask first, because sulfuric acid is dangerous so I'm curious from you respected senior chemists.

recpect

A good example of using a name for a chemical properly is one wrong letter in a chemical name can be extremely important, it could even mean the difference in a successful chemical reaction or a dangerous explosion in a scientist's face.

What chemicals are you talking about? The question makes no sense with a wildly named chemical you could have a wildly different chemical reaction. What process. and how does this relate to aqua regia or platinum or any other valuable metals?

I believe you would need to get the chemical names right, and what they do in combination before we can help or answer a question like that. what are you talking about?

What chemicals or processes is it you are asking about?
Sulfuric and bleach (sodium hypochlorite), in order to make up a solution of evolving acidic hydrochloric gases and water vapor evolving the reaction vessel, producing a solution or a salt composed of sodium sulfate and salt of sodium chlorides as the alkaline solution destroyed the acids making salt, or are you asking about sulfuric acid and mixing it with hydrochloric acid making an acidic hydronium ionic solution of chloride and sulfate ions?

Neither one of which, could attack gold, nor would it have very little to do with aqua regia, although both would provide chloride ions to a solution, one acidic the other more of a salt more pH neutral...

You would not have any need to precipitate a precious metal like gold platinum or palladium from either of these mixtures of chemicals you mentioned, as you would not get the more reactive metals to dissolve in either of these solutions.

In the title of the question, you have a name for a chemical, its meaning, or the random name you gave it, suggests the chemical is both acidic or acid, and at the same time, being a salt of the metal sodium, which is it? what is it?

Sodium Hypochloric? What is that? Is it an acid? Is it salt? I do not believe you are speaking of both.

Last edited:
This is generally used for gold precipitation, can it be the same for platinum as gold is a noble metal? I thought, you're right, I'm going to take private chemistry lessons

regards

This is generally used for gold precipitation, can it be the same for platinum as gold is a noble metal? I thought, you're right, I'm going to take private chemistry lessons

regards
What is “this”?
And no, usually what precipitate Gold do not work with Pt or Pd.
Cementing do work, but regarding PGMs one need extra attention to agitation.

Back