Acid baths - question and a personal discovery!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellias

Hello all!

in Hokes book, he says to prep by acid bath like nitric or HCl. I was wondering if anyone ever has done Sulferic Acid. Ive seen a video of a lot of copper removed using a sulferic bath with sodium nitrate.

Discovery:

1. Ive been collecting a lot of my gold and have discovered that ive been using too much SMB causing my yield to be a brownish grey color. Is this true? Can this turn your yield grey?

2. So ive discovered the powers of gold pins using vinegar 75%, a little salt, and h2o2 12%. I got ALL gold foils removed after 30 minutes. Its incredible (picture attached).

3.ive been doing like 80-100 grams of stuff but my yields really REALLY small. Im thinking around right now aftsr processing: a total of 400-500g of material (gold pins, i attempted transistors but their copper plates are hard for me).

Do IC chips have good yield?

Attachments

• 20240730_144614.jpg
    20240730_144614.jpg
    826.6 KB · Views: 0
C.M. Hoke is a female. ☺

Dilute sulfuric acid and sodium nitrate creates nitric in situ and is a common method of dissolving base metals.

Gold powder color is effected by particle size and base metal contamination. Try using ferrous sulfate for the first refine, weigh powder then calculate amount of SMB needed for second refine.

Be careful with mixing vinegar and peroxide, under the right conditions the flash point is 104.9F.

IC have better yields per pound then pins, usually. All depends on types and age of both.

Janie

Latest posts

Back