All about anodes and cathodes.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should we change the title of this thread to "The Ethics of Freely Sharing Information"? Lol.... No insults intended, but so far the discussion has not included any concrete information about chemical reactions. Sure you can read a chemistry book and find out what an ideal chemical reaction _should_ look like... But as primarily amateurs without extensive spending accounts, it would be nice to know what easily attained chemicals and equipment in the consumer world yield promising results.

In my own words, maybe wrong, just my guess, nobody asked such a question before now.
I suppose that the surface of the molten gold is dotted with peaks of nanogold floating in yellow gold. Nano gold is blue to black; yellow plus blue makes green. More likely is the presence of trace silver which even 5 9's pure still has a trace.
Dr. Poe

why a strong illumination is needed. More likely
every liquid, including gold, has a vapor pressure
what acts as a thin film of gold, giving way for
green light.
Lino1406,
Author of the e-booklet "Gold enigma 1, 2 or 3
alook inside the electronic shell of noble metals"

I wonder:
Colors we see are certain frequency’s (similar to sound we hear from a tuning fork).

I have heard gold smashed flat thin enough, filtered light through it to our eyes and we see the green frequency, would the molten gold reflect these frequencies?

I would think the brightness of the light wouldn't make much difference unless the (depth or angle??) of the reflection had some thing here.

This is interesting.

i think the green color has something to do with the molecules being free if you will and something to compare it to would be nano technology or chameleon paint i bet if the light was moved at different angles you may get a different colors

The color of a gold sol or nano particle has everything to do with its particle size distribution.

As to gold's color when illuminated, that is very tough physics beyond me. I'd guess it's probably the way gold reflects light as the temperature increases and it has measurable incandescence due to blackbody radiation. Some sort of scattering phenomenon due to gold atoms produced from its vapor pressure may be a candidate as well. Lithium has a red vapor!

As for gold's color at room temperature, that is easily explained.
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/9.html
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/golden_glow/

Even seasoned physicists don't like to talk about it.

butcher said:
I wonder:
I have heard gold smashed flat thin enough, filtered light through it to our eyes and we see the green frequency, would the molten gold reflect these frequencies?
if you have access to some gold leaf, look through it at a light source. It will be purple in color.
If you don't have, pay a visit and we'll take a look at some. I have a few sheets.

Harold

is this why they use gold as filters on the visors on spacesuits? it should filter out ultraviolet light or is it some other radiation it filters?

Geo wrote:
"is this why they use gold as filters on the visors on spacesuits? it should filter out ultraviolet light or is it some other radiation it filters?"

Yes, it filters the UV; I used gold coated welding filters some years ago & it helped a lot agaist the UV from welding, much better than the standard filters.
When I started learning to recover Pm's from the information in this great Forum, one of my first experiments was to put the filters thru HCl/Cl & removed the gold... :mrgreen:

Thank you GRF!

Phil

I have a few of the gold welding lenses for my hoods, but I keep thinking yields would be so small, so I have just kept them for welding.

They use gold in laser mirrors also; I have collected several kinds of these.

Harold, I would like to visit some, and look through gold like a glass, you are one man I would love to meet. Maybe next time I have to make a trip up in that area to get nitric acid, we can make arrangements and visit.

Who knows maybe we could make an arrangement for several of us members to meet each other.

I have looked through gold plated on glass and can see green, who knows it may have a copper under layer.

Anybody ever recover gold from a 1974-76 Ford heated windshield or backglass?
http://www.glasslinks.com/trivia/trivia3.htm

I have heard they are very rare, and there were people buying them for hundreds of dollars even broken.

Jim

Butcher, as long as they're not scratched, they are okay, but if they're scratched you run the risk of getting a flash burn.
Mine were from back in the '80's & were scratched, so I experimented with them.

If the get together happens, I would like to meet with you gentlemen, too!

Phil

it is a fact that gold can be hammered so thin that you can read through it and rolled thinner than that.I've seen samples at the U.S. Space and Rocket center in Huntsville Al. its used as radiation shielding on all space going vehicles, even satellites.living in the area, ive seen quite a bit of scrap from Marshall Space Flight Center and worked on the Redstone Arsenal cleaning out warehouses when the space agency went with the shuttle.at the time gold never crossed my mind but thinking back, i know we burned many thousands of pounds of cables with huge connectors in an open pit before the effects of the pollution was common knowledge.

Phil I did have you in mind, as I know your up north there close by, it seems there are several of us in this part of the country,

Actually I would like to give you a hand with your dredge sometime, but when the water warmed up and was not as fast and muddy as it is now, I normally use small home made dredges, also if we dived your compressor would have to keep running, I helped my neighbor a few years ago work a 6" dredge, for some reason he wanted to work in deep fast moving water, first time I had ever dredged underwater, the current was so fast we had to anchor every thing down to keep from washing downstream into the rapids, he went first my told me to just keep the motors running they wanted to stall out, so I fiddled with the chock and throttle for a couple of hours while he was underwater, he finally came up and it was my turn, he told me just move slow or you will run out of air, well my wet suit was almost two sizes too small, I had a home made lead weight belt on, with the fastest belt unhook I could make, with junk from may barn, this regulator for air in my mouth and there I go into the cold water pulling my self up to the deep hole in the bottom of the rouge river, huge boulders we were digging under in the river and I was just wondering when one would shift and pin me down there, and sure enough every time I tried to move a big boulder I would find myself with a lack of air and had to slow down, started getting the hang of it after about an hour, and was really enjoying looking behind me and seeing all of the salmon feeding on the water bugs, or craw fish I was moving from there hiding spots, and then I could not breath, well I have been breathing underwater for an hour, and dummy me thinks this thing in my mouth is in the way so I try and get some air from the side of my mouth, well sucking in a gulp of water into my lungs, then figure I better try and get to the surface for air, now struggling with this %$#@ weight belt holding me under water, I found out my quick disconnect was almost not quick enough, I all finally got to the surface for air coughing and puking, and my mining partner neighbor yells I knew you would come up, the air compressor quit running, he found out later his son the mechanic had used the wrong size piston rings when he rebuilt the compressor.

I would like to plan some kind of get together, life is too short not too.

DR. POE HAS NEVER ASKED FOR ANYTHING FROM ME. SO IF HE WISHES TO GET TO KNOW AN INDIVIDUAL BEFORE RELEASING HIS KNOWLEDGE THAT SHOULD BE HIS RIGHT TO DO SO... YOU REFFERING TO THE WAY ANYBODY RELEASES THERE YEARS OF TRIAL AND ERRORS, IS AN ATTACK OF YOUR INTEGRITY AS A HUMAN BEING NOT HIS. JUST LISTEN AND DONT GET MAD IF YOU GET LEFT OUT THIS IS NOT RECESS AND YOUR ON THE TEAM OF SCRUBS. THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY BOUT THAT. WITH THE HELP OF THE DOC I EXTRACTED 3 OZ.OF THE YELLOW GOODNESS FROM SOME SAMPLES OF CALAVERITE AuTe2 I FOUND.

charities,
First let me welcome you to the forum, and share with you a rule we have here, posting in all capital letters is frowned on, it is considered yelling, and the moderators do not allow yelling on the forum. Every body will read what you have to say, better if you do not yell at them.

I am glad Dr.Poe has helped you with you to recover your gold that was very nice of him.
I have no doubt Dr poe is intelligent, and can help people.

My concern is more for the forum, not your gold or myself.

You have just joined the forum so I do not know if you have knowledge of my concern here in this matter or not, I see you are a friend of the Dr.s and wish to defend your friend, I find that noble.

I too hope the good Dr.Poe is a friend, and not a foe.

I wish you well with your mining
Please let us know your thoughts, on this matter.

Latest posts

Back