All about silver button batteries

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FrugalRefiner said:
saadat, when someone takes the time to respond to your question with a link, you could at least take 10 seconds to follow the link. I did, and in the very first search result, it says in the preview: "AG batteries (often called BUTTON batteries) are non-rechargeable cells, in either Silver Oxide or Alkaline chemistry." The next time someone makes an effort to help you, you should make an effort too.

Dave

Dave I checked that link but I can not find my answer.
I think it is misunderstanding because my english is not good.
But really I need yes or no!!!

because I don't understand. I need a person say me AG/LR batries may have a silver or no ? for example ag1 or ag2 or LR66 or ...? they are silver or MnO2 ? I can not find answer in google

Thanks

Did you look at the first post of this thread?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3212&hilit=silver+batteries#p27240

jimdoc said:
Did you look at the first post of this thread?

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3212&hilit=silver+batteries#p27240

Hi yes I read that document
I want to know LR and AG are not silver? all of them ?
See this link:
https://www.afundeal.com/ssuo-ag4-lr626-377a-alkaline-cell-1-55v-alkaline-button-cell-battery-10-batteries-silver

It is AG and it is silver!!! and also 1.55 v
I think all Of Ag are Mno2

I googled and the first link I got was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_cell

Göran

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=5107

Look at this image. Some of the cells are golden. is there any gold in them ??? :shock:

I find such as them in my cells too.
v5t1_6585j.jpg

Probably not gold, maybe brass, try a drop of nitric acid and see. I cannot see them wasting gold unless these are used in some kind of critical equipment like maybe medical, or life safety, military, space, or some other similar devices... even then it is doubtful they are plated in gold, but we have seen stranger things and today they can plate the gold so thin you can see through it.

butcher said:
Probably not gold, maybe brass, try a drop of nitric acid and see. I cannot see them wasting gold unless these are used in some kind of critical equipment like maybe medical, or life safety, military, space, or some other similar devices... even then it is doubtful they are plated in gold, but we have seen stranger things and today they can plate the gold so thin you can see through it.
Why I must first separate silver oxide cells ? Can I crush all of cells ( MnO2 + Silvers and Littium cells ) with a crusher and leach them in acid :?:

saadat68 said:
butcher said:
Why I must first separate silver oxide cells ? Can I crush all of cells ( MnO2 + Silvers and Littium cells ) with a crusher and leach them in acid :?:

If you do that, you will face countless issue's.. Go with the tried and true method.. Separate first!

Topher_osAUrus said:
saadat68 said:
butcher said:

If you do that, you will face countless issue's.. Go with the tried and true method.. Separate first!
can you say what issue for example ?

Topher_osAUrus said:
excessive use of acid
other metals going into solution first
and more I'm sure others can add

more acid is not really a problem if we can crush many cells in a faster process

I think just MnO2 and LiO are excess materials in this way. I want to find a fast way to refining many cells for example 2 ton in a year 8)

saadat68 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
excessive use of acid
other metals going into solution first
and more I'm sure others can add

more acid is not really a problem if we can crush many cells in a faster process

I think just MnO2 and LiO are excess materials in this way. I want to find a fast way to refining many cells for example 2 ton in a year 8)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery
Go to the "chemistry" section of that wiki, and look at the numerous types of lithium cells, lots of different materials in them that all could give you alot of headaches. But, this is just my opinion..

saadat68 said:
saadat, you really have to start doing some of your own research.

From a P&G Product Safety Data Sheet at PG.com:
CAUTION: Battery can explode or leak if heated, disassembled, shorted, recharged, exposed to fire or high temperature or inserted incorrectly. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Keep batteries away from children. If swallowed, consult a physician at once. Under certain misuse conditions and by abusively opening the battery, exposed lithium can react with water or moisture in the air causing potential thermal burns or fire.
You can find these answers easily with a Google search.

Dave

Having seen a completely self sustaining fire from a skid full of these at a recycling centre first hand, (where the firefighters refused to listen to the site owner and hosed them down causing a major blaze) then personally I wouldn't go anywhere near them. There are much easier things to recover PMs from.

FrugalRefiner said:
saadat68 said:
saadat, you really have to start doing some of your own research.

From a P&G Product Safety Data Sheet at PG.com:
CAUTION: Battery can explode or leak if heated, disassembled, shorted, recharged, exposed to fire or high temperature or inserted incorrectly. Keep in original package until ready to use. Do not carry batteries loose in your pocket or purse. Keep batteries away from children. If swallowed, consult a physician at once. Under certain misuse conditions and by abusively opening the battery, exposed lithium can react with water or moisture in the air causing potential thermal burns or fire.
You can find these answers easily with a Google search.

Dave
Man I know google and use it. your posts are not my answers!
I said first crush cells with a crusher and then leach. you say assemble them manually ??? they don't explode this way?!

FrugalRefiner said:
saadat68 said:
Then I won't waste any more of your time by trying to answer them.

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Dave thanks for your answers but your answers that find in google are unrelated to my question
I ask can I crush and leach whole of cells and you say assembling cells may explode

saadat68 said:
I said first crush cells with a crusher and then leach. you say assemble them manually ??? they don't explode this way?!

I understand the language barrier we have here. Let's correct some of the terminology or wording that you should be using.

Crush means to squeeze or push together. I think the correct wording you should be using it to tear apart or disassemble.

To do 2 tons a year that is about 85 lbs. a week of batteries that you will be processing if you process the same amount each week. With the safety concerns of dealing with the batteries that do not have silver in them it would be well worth your time to do a manual separation from the batteries that do have silver in them.

The extra costs of the chemicals to process the bad batteries would justify the time it takes to do the separation of the two groups.

The health, fire and safety reasons alone would justify the time it takes to separate the groups.

There is a list of batteries that has been posted on the forum that shows the different one that have silver and the ones that do not have silver in them. I think it was posted about 3 or 4 years ago.

There have also been some posts made about the different marking that show the ones that have silver and the ones that do not have silver and if I remember correctly pictures of the different markings were posted on the forum also.

To process the quantities that you are talking about processing you would want to consider a hammer mill to run the separated batteries through to disassemble them for processing.

Please try to be a little more careful in your wording when you reply to the forum members that try to give you answers your reply did not came across very nicely.

Latest posts

Back