All-gold Pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overneo

Hi,

Yesterday I was dismantling an old Sanyo laptop (very old with monochromatic screen) and I found very strange pins which seem to be in full gold.

Is it possible to find all gold pins, I mean non just plated but in entire gold?

(ps : example of the beast :http://www.ubertechworld.com/museum/images/zenith_supersport_184/zenith_supersport_184_4.jpg)

I would question all gold pins. There would be little or no advantage, considering copper is a better conductor of electricity than is gold-----and the fact that the vast majority of pins are made of brass, an alloy of zinc and copper. Conductivity, then, is not much of a concern, otherwise they would make pins from pure copper. Gold, in the past 30 years, has been far too valuable to be used where it is not a requirement.

If you are basing your conclusion on the fact that the pins appear to be the right color, I suggest you cut one in half, then apply a drop of nitric to the cut surface. Gold (plating) will have been transferred to some degree, but I strongly suspect you'll find the pin reacts quickly with the drop of acid, turning the solution blue, and even giving off the all too familiar brown gas you see when using nitric.

If, on the other hand, the nitric remains unchanged, it most likely is pure gold. I'd be just as surprised as you appear to be now. That would make no sense, if for no other reason, economics.

Harold

Back