Alloy nugget refining process needed

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Key take always:

1. Base metal removal is key - this can be done in solution or through the gas phase as was previously suggested. Fe2O3 converts quickly at 300C to FeCl3 and can subsequently be used as a chlorine source via decomposition under Ar at or above 800C.

2. Encapsulation is a problem - surface area improves reaction and lowers resonance periods.

3. Some oxides can exist he see hitting them with hydrogen preserves the pseudo-noble metal phases such as Mo. The pgms will remain metals in all conditions of heating via thermal decomposition.

4. Bring the metals to temperature (I like induction)

5. Process back over HCl and collect Au

If done right, you’ll yield what I showed in the photo above.

Good luck!

PS - haters who talked bad about me when I posted the original process I was working up just have no clue.

Under a microscope you’ll see that these particles are exceptionally small.

I have seen under an SEM that they start as nano-particles but appear to nucleate to micron size following processing and exposure to temperature.

I have learned that if I start with a million grams and the methodology has a separation factor of x100, the process requires three passes to yield metals of similar enrichment

Obviously this is something to do for fun in the lab when I have time, but I hope my perspective gives you some insight

Attachments

• 0D03D38E-9B62-47A4-BE81-66361FBF6ABA.jpeg
    0D03D38E-9B62-47A4-BE81-66361FBF6ABA.jpeg
    325.9 KB
  • 38DF529D-7988-405B-8790-4C4CB82BB414.jpeg
    38DF529D-7988-405B-8790-4C4CB82BB414.jpeg
    985.1 KB
anachronism said:
mausolfe said:
PS - haters who talked bad about me when I posted the original process I was working up just have no clue.

Don't be such a snowflake. People disagreeing with you isn't hate. It's disagreement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon

Exactly, I disagree with the language used to convey disagreement with my original idea(s) and for ease of typing simply labeled the individual a hater.

What matters is that there are viable solutions to recovery metals for recycling or from the environment.

In my opinion all ideas should be considered and debated - but when that’s not done the same language should be used to describe the accusations. Does the process work or not? Early evidence suggests there is something to be considered

One more thing - for the original poster

Email privately and I’ll send you over the entire protocol. Thanks for asking such a good question that has kept me thinking for a long time.

Everyone have a great day and I hope everyone gets rich

mausolfe said:
One more thing - for the original poster

Email privately and I’ll send you over the entire protocol.
We would prefer that you share your entire protocol on the open forum. As you said in your previous post, "In my opinion all ideas should be considered and debated". We can't consider and debate your protocol if you don't share it openly. We discourage people from providing refining advice via PM because there is no way for anyone to help critique the process to make sure it is safe and sound.

Dave

That’s true

For validation that gold exists I would bombard your sample with neutrons to activate Au-198 firstly.

There is a strong gamma spectroscopy line at 411 keV that is easily detectable. Radiochemical techniques allow for its identification and validation because Au-197 has a huge capture cross section. If abundant in your sample, this will be observed.

The technique is non destructive like SEM but creates nuclear transmutation products that must be allowed to decay. I feel techniques like ICP-MS/AES and XRF are prone to interference in sample concentrations though valuable tools that are available readily.

Once you have confirmation that the material exists, I feel that correlation to other techniques can be validated; does microscopy correlate to mass spectrometry and/xrf or NAA or fire assay .

Removal of iron for instance. - a brittle sample - created by treatment with hydrogen - usually makes these phases susceptible to hydrogen uptake, powderization, and easily crushes. If already in a metallic state like a button, hydrogen treatment is Beloit be viable but will not reduce iron oxide to a metallic state easily.

This is why HCl (g) + Fe2O3 —> FeCl3 + H2O is viable when dealing with oxides for pretreatment

Exposure to HCl releases hydrogen gas and displaces water/oxides during treatment of metals annealed in hydrogen. These metal chlorides should be soluble in dilute HCl. Iron, tin, copper, (titanium if followed up with carbothermic reduction will boil out at about 130-200C in the presence of chlorine and carbon - carbon tet. is a viable carbonating chloride molecule).

Pgms are non-reactive to HCl and so is silica.

Work up using normal techniques following to remelt or keep the powders for subsequent processing such as density fractionation. If rich enough you shouldn’t require much more processing.

This assumes you are starting with possibly a concentrate, mixed alloy or high iron material.

High nickel phases require carbon monoxide to reach refinement from pgms*

That’s my first piece of advice

Oh yes one more thing

If you have high silica, this will come off with titanium but at like 30C as SiCl4 and will leave pgms as chloro-species.

Cleaning up with hydrogen a second pass will preserve those as metals.

You’ll need a cold finger to trap any silicon or titanium if present and required to be removed in a distillation process

mausolfe said:

:mrgreen:

I guess 4metals and I just have to retire from the forum... we have finaly been exposed as clueless.

By the way, I have another clue to add to the XRF readings. That XRF-gun falsely reads arsenic as iridium. Proven by testing a mineralogical sample this summer.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28009

35% iridium is actually arsenic at some unknown concentrations. It also throws off any other reading as the software tries to compensate for the shielding effect of iridium.

Adding acid or roasting those nuggets might produce arsenic containing gas and smoke. Several of our members have made that mistake and at least two came back and told us about the horrid experience of arsenic poisoning. Irons was one, the other one I don't remember.

Göran

Latest posts

Back