Almost 1gm of Au of 1 board ! So I bought 6. oops

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

Just like the subject says. Here let me show you the excitement I felt.

IMG_20120508_022552.jpg

Almost 1 gram of Au foils when dry
So I was approached with 6 more .
I got to work preping the same way I did before
all solder and parts gone

Put all 6 in solution( this is a good time to let you know my a/p has been used 15 + times the last 4 times with no air (no electricity) I was wondering when it would stop working,but I didn't think it would do this :shock:
IMG_20120618_014119.jpg
I am preparing new stannous chloride right now I will post my results
Thanks

One more thing
I took my boards out before they were completed
From what everyone says there is no more gold on
my boards but there is still copper
Also knowing how much I should have seen I assumed
my gold is in solution so I put a big piece of copper in it
It does not look like its dissolving the copper at least not
Like last time
this would lead me to think my solution is no longer
CuCl2
Thanks

was all seven the same board or was it different makers. sounds like you might have been had with the ol bait and switch.

i dont know, but is it possible your ap solution is holding to much copper ? im not real sure how that process works but i think its purpose is to dissolve the copper to release the gold foils, correct ?

Did you weigh the gold foils before you cleaned them, from the first run?

I try not to get excited until I have a final number. I buy foils from an old guy that scrapes them off the fingerboards himself. Of course these have a good amount of copper associated with them, but even still I'm sometimes shocked by how much weight is in other metals, and how little of that is actually gold. I have foiled a lot of boards as well, and although the weight difference going in and coming out is not nearly as great as the scraped gold foils, there still is a good amount of other metals that are cleaned away in the process.

I hope you get a gram from each board, that would be awesome, but I feel that after you properly clean your foils, and further refine them, you are going to find there was less than you anticipated.

If you do actually end up with 1g per board of reasonably refined Au, post on the forum here what type of boards they are so other people can process them. It's always nice to get good solid information to work on. And good luck, it sounds like you found a nice run.

Scott

Geo
Buddy pal how are you same maker and he has 40 more
Wood4lIff
yes and other base metals
Scott
Hey scott washed with hcl 3 times and dried
I was hoping for 80% after refining
Thanks

Weigh them, incinerate and give them good bath in hot Nitric. Wash, dry and weigh again. You will be surprised.
I was surprised many times. That is why I do not report yield before double refining and weight of resulted button. As I said way too much of disappointment learned me not to celebrate Christmas in early August. :mrgreen:

I still have not found the time to mix a new batch of a/p or stannous.
But I did find a layer of geen crystallene in the wash bowl where I left my bucket of boards

Attachments

• IMG_20120621_023445.jpg
    IMG_20120621_023445.jpg
    992 KB

Latest posts

Back