AMALGAMITE 982 PROCESS

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos

Hello,
Has anyone heard of this new process and can weigh in on it's legitimacy?
It is called "AMALGAMITE 982 PROCESS" and is sold on e-bay as a way to get around using the acids when processing circuit boards and the like.
Here is the page link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMALGAMITE-982-PROCESS-SCRAP-GOLD-RECOVERY-2pounds_W0QQitemZ390114733921QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item5ad4a66f61

Just copy and paste in your browser~
Anxious to hear from the masters in this forum...
Thanks,

CHAOS

It has been discussed before, molten bismuth, but the picture looks like solder to me so they may have changed to a lead/bismuth alloy to bring the cost down(for them) not you.

I think you could do this yourself with molten solder, just about any kind. 95/5 tin antimony would be nice, since you could reclaim the gold with just HCL. You could get about 5lbs of tin for the price of that alamgamite 982.

Jim

Stove top circuit board burning?

Safer to pan for PMs in the middle of the turnpike, at night, wearing all black. Stand your ground and don't let that 18 wheeler bully you off your claim.:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A grain of truth in a mountain of bullsh*t. Solder baths are known to collect values over time. Stripping values completely not likely. Cupeling mass quantities of metal for tiny traces of PMs extremely wasteful.

I see they also sell cupels for $3 each shipping included. You would need over thirty to hold the 2# of metal.

Far better to stick to the truth found here on the forum!

Those same $3 ($2 each in lots of 5) magnesia cupels (actually 1 9/16" in dia) are sold individually by legend-reno.com for between $.62 and .70, depending on the height of the cupel.

http://www.lmine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=magnesite_cupel

If you buy a case of them, they run from $.139 to $.155 each.

http://www.lmine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=magnesite_cupels

The 30 gram clay crucibles (made by Denver Fire Clay) that that Ebay store is selling for $6.50 each, in lots of 2, are available from legend-reno for $1.84 each, in lots of 25 or $1.36 each in lots of 64.

http://www.lmine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=1shot_crucibles

I also know that legend-reno will give a 10% discount to resellers, on most items. I wonder where that Ebay seller bought that stuff??? I know they have to make a profit, but gimme a break!

Shop Around!!

bismuth is some fasinating metal to me, very low melting temperature, and mixed with other metals such as lead, then it lowers the lead mix melting temperature,i have some that will melt at about the temperature of hot coffee, if melted with lead and made to paste, or roll out flat ribbon, you can use it for soldering wires with a match or cigarette lighter, I keep some in my tool box.
I have never used it as a gold or metal collector in a melt,

it maybe part of what this guy is doing on stove, he may not have to get it that hot? maybe not even hot enough for resin on circuit board to burn resin, may be something to his claim, but also I would think the bismuth would pick up lead or other metals easier than the gold, I am just thinking here.

of coarse never burn any of this stuff in your home.

Those are some of the best prices for crucibles (size k) that I have seen. Thanks for the link to legend-reno , goldsilverpro. I always learn something new on this site . This is a great forum with a wealth of information.

Sorry to bring this topic back up on this forum but in their advertisement it states:

THIS PROCESS IS REGISTERED AND TRADENAMED/ TRADEMARKED BY GOLDCO MINING!

I have tried searching to find their patent or trademark and I can't find anything. In fact, according to http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=amalgamite+982
that name is available to trademark for only $159 in the US

I have tried to contact the company a couple times asking about their product and have never gotten a response and now I see it is out of stock. Either this product works real good and they are sold out or it doesn't work that good and they quit selling it. $80 for 2 pounds of bismuth sounds like a lot but IF...IF their directions show how to do what they are claiming AND...AND how to recover the bismuth for reuse, then .........

I know, if it sounds too good to be true ... It probably is.

Anyone know how to find their patent or even just a trademark to confirm that they actually did register this process?

here is my 2 cents.I contacted him to find out when more would be available. He responded very quickly. he said he has been very ill and not been able to prepare any. It is done outside and he has no heat in his work area. It has been way too cold to do anything outside in his condition. he said that if the weather broke this week for a few days he would prepare some more. if not ,it would be April.

pgms4me said:
here is my 2 cents.I contacted him to find out when more would be available. He responded very quickly. he said he has been very ill and not been able to prepare any. It is done outside and he has no heat in his work area. It has been way too cold to do anything outside in his condition. he said that if the weather broke this week for a few days he would prepare some more. if not ,it would be April.

Have you actually used this product before? Do the directions tell how to recover the Bismuth (Amalgamite) for reuse?

I bought a pound of bismuth from Ebay for around $20. Even at that price I don't want to just cupel the bismuth and throw it away. The "real" amalgamite is twice that cost and it looks like you have to buy two pounds at a time. I don't know if I will ever order the real thing or even use the bismuth I did buy for gold recovery. The only thing I have done with it so far is try to dissolve a little piece (about the size of a pea) in a little poor man's nitric acid. With a lot of heat it reacted (bubbled) but now it is cold and doesn't seem to react at all. To use it for real to recover gold I would expect to use an ounce or two of the bismuth. If I can't even dissolve a pea sized lump of it, then I doubt a much larger amount would be easy.

The only video I seen on using the Amalgamite used a cupel to recover the gold and if that is how it has to be done then I'd just use lead or probably use a different method altogether.

I have never used the process, mostly because the earlier process I knew of used Mercury. I may experiment with some bismuth next spring when it warms up a bit here. maybe he will share the instructions for it. i will at least ask, as it would be interesting to find out his method. if I find anything else out i will post it here

pgms4me said:
I have never used the process, mostly because the earlier process I knew of used Mercury. I may experiment with some bismuth next spring when it warms up a bit here. maybe he will share the instructions for it. i will at least ask, as it would be interesting to find out his method. if I find anything else out i will post it here

Thanks pgms4me,

I kind of doubt he will disclose any more than he already has since the instructions are the main part of the product. I'm still not sure that his CD instructions aren't worth the cost but can't afford the $80 right now to find out.

I did find some more info on this forum about the process.

On http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2060
pilotdan said:
Yup it's bismuth. I got back a reply from the seller. I have been emailing back and forth with him. Does anyone here know him?

I have had a good success with it so far... We have put it through rigorous testing, and all works out great... The gold is dropped in whatever purity it goes in, and it drops as gold gold, not a precipitate of gold... If it is not taken in as 24k, if that is the purity you want, you still have to refine it... This is just a safe way to get the gold out and off the plated material... No, to drop the gold, you just use a 25% nitric acid solution... This takes the Amalgamite into solution, and the gold is left behind, so no, no more aqua regia and such to get the gold...Bill, Goldco Mining. I cannot tell you exactly what this is made of yet, but in the near future I can... We are in the process of trade marking the product and process...Bill, Goldco Mining

Then I asked him about it being Bismuth. At first he said he could not say. Then he wrote this.

Ok, I talked to my partner, and he told me it was safe to tell you about the Amalgamite and the process. Amalgamite is bismuth, but the Amalgamite Process is so much more. Our process is so much different than anything else ever used. With the Amalgamite, you will recieve full instructions, and He is writing a manual, which wil;l contain our absolute full process and the implements needed... Our process is brand new, and if you follow the istructional cd that will come with it, you will be successful... There is a big section on assaying the Amalgamite, but skip through that, as we don't need it...Bill, Goldco Mining

Further on in the same thread:

pilotdan said:
Platdigger said:
I found this.

When excess water is added to bismuth in nitric....a white powder precipitates.

Not sure if this powder is easily melted.

Were did you find out about ammonia to drop?
This is getting interesting.......;)

Here is an email from us discussing this.

The answer to that is yes, I will put you down for two pounds, and it has never before been on the market... It is our new discovery, and to tell you the truth, I will never try to be a chemist any more... This is so much safer, and non toxic... The only chemicals you will need is nitric acid to take the Amalgamite into solution to release the gold, and ammonia to get the Amalgamite back. It is so much simpler, and when you read the instruction cd, and you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them... This is the breakthrough that we have all needed... I will gladly inform you as to when I get it in for you...Thanks a million, Bill, Goldco Mining

Around the end of the thread:

rainmaker said:
I found this information on his Ebay store and I quote it here:

UPDATE on Amalgamite... Today we ran some ore that is known to carry gold through the Amalgamite, and put the Amalgamite in 70% nitric acid... We now have gold in beaker... (gold in hand so to say). The process does work... We have a beaker on heat with 30% nitric acid, and one with 50% nitric acid, and the Amalgaite is slowly dissolving... With 70% nitric acid, we achieved this in a matter of 30 minutes, dropping gold at the natural purity of 22k. All you skeptics that say it can't be done take heed, the process works, and is trademarked, and we are going for patent It's pending. we cannot patent Bismuth, but we can patent the Amalgamite Process, and only those that buy our process will benefit the results, because we will not reveal all of the process in our descriptions.
There is a way to reteive the silver, and a way to get the Amalgamite back to reuse, and this you will have to figure out yourself unless you buy the process and materials from us.................................................

UPDATE!!!

The 30% nitric acid is working fine... A customer sent me some pins to test, and another some black sands, and yet another raw ore, and it is pulling the gold, as I have gold floating on top of the solution... You can make this yourself by putting 1 cup of water in an old coffee pot, add the sulfuric acid (found at ace in the professional plumbing cleaners), then add sodium nitrate (over heat) and keep adding until no more will dissolve, pour off into another container for use. It may freeze on the bottom, but you just use that for the next batch...If you don't add the water, it does not seem to work as well... It need the water to start the oxidation

Please note that in the first paragraph it is referred to as Bismuth(emphasis added)
Rainmaker :shock: :(

This is probably enough info to test the process. Like I said, I haven't been able to get the tiny piece of pure bismuth to dissolve in my homemade nitric acid. I expect it requires hours of heating since it hasn't really dissolved much at cool room temperatures. There is some white powder in the test tube and that redissolved when heated. I'm still interested in this process but I'm close to finishing my first small test using the "tried and true" methods already being used here. I think it will be easier and cheaper to stick with what is proven to work and forget the short cuts. It (Amalgamite) was only a recovery method and the gold would still need refined if you wanted pure gold.

Please keep me/us informed of any information you get and especially a review if you actually try it.

Thanks bmgold2 for all your time in posting that info. If Bill doent get the bismuth ready, he messeged me he would send me the cd. he didnt say anything about cost,so we will see what happens and I will post any news here Donn

I finally contacted the seller through Ebay and asked about buying the instructions separately. No deal, they are free with the order. I also asked about reusing/reclaiming the Amalgamite and was told it is a one use item.

I'm no longer even considering this product. That's just too much to spend on a one use item. I guess the info I posted previously from another thread did not work out the way the company expected.

A short note, to be cautious, - and save cost, labor and gold eventually:

In his post from January 25th, 2014, bmgold2 cites a lot of useful information concerning Amalgamite, originating from an earlier post:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/~goldrefi/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2060

The most important citation from this thread for me is the following:
The only chemicals you will need is nitric acid to take the Amalgamite into solution to release the gold, and ammonia to get the Amalgamite back. It is so much simpler, and when you read the instruction cd, and you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them... This is the breakthrough that we have all needed...
If Amalgamite is bismuth, the following link to Arizona State University delivers totally different information about bismuth, it's aqueous chemistry, and some simple chemical reactions in aqueous solution:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~jpbirk/qual/qualanal/bismuth.html

Therefore, do not rely on empty promises entering the doubtful adventure of the Amalgamite-process.

Bi2(OH)3 can probably be converted to metal again by reduction with C, - could not find anything quickly, but I still do not understand the benefit?! If the only advantage is to avoid acids.....dissolving in HNO3 is well not easier than AP etc.

What I have found out so far from their instructions and communication 1:Their instructions only cover cupellation.
2: They have not found any way to economcally recover the bismuth after it goes into the cupel.
3: All the pm's do remain in the bead after cupellation.
4: you have to keep it really hot while working to avoid "getting stuck or freezing"
5: One pound of Bismuth (can) hold up to one pound of pm's
It may be good for some types of scrap that are contaminated with a hard to remove base metal that may be present in some types of scrap,but it looks like a lot of work with low grade scrap,putting it in,then scraping off the remains,then adding more until you get enough gold in it to process by a cupel and finish. Oh buy the way it has a small percentage of tin in it, so dissolving in nitric instead of cupelling could present problems.

pgms4me said:
What I have found out so far from their instructions and communication 1:Their instructions only cover cupellation.
2: They have not found any way to economcally recover the bismuth after it goes into the cupel.
3: All the pm's do remain in the bead after cupellation.
4: you have to keep it really hot while working to avoid "getting stuck or freezing"
5: One pound of Bismuth (can) hold up to one pound of pm's
It may be good for some types of scrap that are contaminated with a hard to remove base metal that may be present in some types of scrap,but it looks like a lot of work with low grade scrap,putting it in,then scraping off the remains,then adding more until you get enough gold in it to process by a cupel and finish. Oh buy the way it has a small percentage of tin in it, so dissolving in nitric instead of cupelling could present problems.

Where does this tin come from? It will likely contain lead too if your parts were soldered with lead type solder. Since you have to cupel the "Bismuth" to retrieve your PM's, you are going to have a lot of time and money invested in cupels and fuel just to get something back that still needs refined. Of course a pound or two of gold should be worth the effort.

Without being able to recover that expensive bismuth, I don't think I'll be buying or using it for getting gold. I'm tempted to try the process with lead or the bismuth I already bought but I have no intention of trying to cupel much lead or bismuth. An assay is one thing but to actually use as a way to get the gold I just don't know. Probably works but sounds like a lot of work. I've never tried it and it might work great. IF...IF it could capture gold from your black sands or other difficult to recover places and you wait until it is well filled with values before cupelling.........

Still sounds interesting but the more I hear about it the less I like the idea. Let me/us know if you or anyone else actually tries it. Anyone can say "that won't work" but until you actually try it how do you really know?

To answer the tin question. I was told there is a very small percentage of it in their amalgamite.there is something else too,but he would not devulge what,except that it was not lead.
Thanks oldgeek, for referencing your old thread

Latest posts

Back