Amalgum ID

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nigel

20240109_105631.jpg
I found this bar in the shed, approx 1" x 1/4" across and 20cm long. I had initially thought it was solder but the stamp on it says otherwise. Its volume is 34 cc (measured by water displacement) and mass 336g, giving a density of 9.9g/cc. A mix of 65% lead and 35% tin would have the same density but solder usually has more tin than lead. Both silver and mercury are more dense than 9.9g/cc so I have no real conclusion.
Has anyone ever come across anything similar?

View attachment 61130
I found this bar in the shed, approx 1" x 1/4" across and 20cm long. I had initially thought it was solder but the stamp on it says otherwise. Its volume is 34 cc (measured by water displacement) and mass 336g, giving a density of 9.9g/cc. A mix of 65% lead and 35% tin would have the same density but solder usually has more tin than lead. Both silver and mercury are more dense than 9.9g/cc so I have no real conclusion.
Dental Amalgams is usually an alloy of Copper, Tin, Silver plus more added to Mercury.
So who knows what it is.
Do you have some kind of historic information on who used the shed in the past?

The word “amalgam” is just another word for “alloy”. In most of the English speaking world is it reserved for a mixture of softer metals.

As an alloy, perhaps at trip to whomever has an XRF with an adequate library uploaded might be in order. Note: An XRF found at a typical jewelry or pawn shop wil likely have only a precious metals library loaded, making it inadequate to the task).

Using the letters B.F.M., I was unable to find a business that may be a manufacturer, distributor, or seller of metals. Then again, I have not looked far, either.

Time for more coffee.

... a density of 9.9g/cc. ...
It looks to me like old lead-based bearing babbitt. A lead alloy with about 15% antimony has density right at 10.0 g/cc:
MatWeb - The Online Materials Information Resource

Many babbitt alloys have small amounts of alloying copper that can make them oxidize greenish. Alloying elements can make them much harder than pure lead, typically up into the brass range. Have you tried hitting it with a hammer, or shaving a small area with a chisel?

"Amalgam B.F.M" to me reads like an 1800s company name, "Amalgamated Baines & Foulkes Manufacturers" or something.

Thank you everyone. The bearing babbitt makes sense. It was in with some solder. The previous owner worked for the council but the house is an old farmhouse so a lot of machinery would have grown old here.

View attachment 61130
Silver tin bar that is used to make filings for dental amalgam possibly? Dont know if the density works out.

An amalgam is an alloy of mercury and another metal. It may be liquid, paste, or solid depending on how much mercury it contains but by definition always contains mercury. Brazing Filler Metal.

An amalgam is an alloy of mercury and another metal. It may be liquid, paste, or solid depending on how much mercury it contains but by definition always contains mercury. Brazing Filler Metal.
That was my impression too and today that is the rule.
But in older times it was used for most all soft alloys.

View attachment 61130
Have it zapped with XRF. Always ask beforehand how much they charge for one measurement :) Easiest way how to get reliable answer, since it is heavy metal, not something like aluminium. XRF of heavier alloys is usually quite accurate, if there isn´t anything too wild (lanthanides, molybdenum, uranium etc...).

To me, it looks like lead alloy of some sort.

Back