An other silver cell problem

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Stainl
How are you connecting power to the colander?
Main negative DC power supply lead split into four and clamped to stainless contact plates attached to the underside of the cell cover and arranged equidistant around the circumference of where the cover contacts the colander. For the anode basket, I connect the positive lead directly to my anode, which is a 10ga thick piece of silver (from impure feedstock) rolled and formed into a durable terminal that can last a few colander changes before needing to be replaced.

Before using SS contact plates, I was connecting the negative leads directly to the cell with copper clamps. These corroded quickly, and I had to clean/replace them frequently. No corrosion with the SS contacts now.

Guys, when one write electrical formulae it is all capital letters besides angular notations in Greek letters.

It is: I, A, V and W
These things matter in there too, not only in Chemistry.

 Stainl

Main negative DC power supply lead split into four and clamped to stainless contact plates attached to the underside of the cell cover and arranged equidistant around the circumference of where the cover contacts the colander. For the anode basket, I connect the positive lead directly to my anode, which is a 10ga thick piece of silver (from impure feedstock) rolled and formed into a durable terminal that can last a few colander changes before needing to be replaced.

Before using SS contact plates, I was connecting the negative leads directly to the cell with copper clamps. These corroded quickly, and I had to clean/replace them frequently. No corrosion with the SS contacts now.
Would you be willing to show pictures of your set up? It sounds wonderful. And I would love to see your set up.
Thank you.

Would you be willing to show pictures of your set up? It sounds wonderful. And I would love to see your set up.
Thank you.
Yes, it would be my pleasure! Give me a few days to post. I have my silver refining activities on pause temporarily, but I need to get things back up and running soon to process my next batch of silver crystals. I'll post when I have a silver cell assembled again - Only doing one cell this time as I only have ~40 ozt Ag to run currently. It's been hard for a hobbyist such as myself to find affordable karat gold and .925 silver scrap lately. Scrap lots keep going for well above melt value - makes buying new stock fairly untouchable for me at the present while spot prices are high and outlooks remain positive. Also, I work full-time and have three kids, so finding the time to snipe auctions and go to estate sales is likewise difficult! 🤣

Hello gentlemen. I have read several post regarding silver cell but i havent got a solution yet to my problem.
I have about 10kg of silver shot i want to run through my silver cell.

My cell is a stainless bowl with 4liters capacity. The first time i run it at 3.5Volts with 2.2 amps drawn and 150gr per liter electrolyte. I got very fragile needle like crystals.
I am now running my cell a second time at 1volt , 0.3 amps and i get the same needle like crystals.. Any one knows how to remedy this problem?

the photos attached is by running the cell for only 10 hours

Thanks you all in advance
Also, try extending the cathode on multiple spots on the outside of the bowl.

Yes, it would be my pleasure! Give me a few days to post. I have my silver refining activities on pause temporarily, but I need to get things back up and running soon to process my next batch of silver crystals. I'll post when I have a silver cell assembled again - Only doing one cell this time as I only have ~40 ozt Ag to run currently. It's been hard for a hobbyist such as myself to find affordable karat gold and .925 silver scrap lately. Scrap lots keep going for well above melt value - makes buying new stock fairly untouchable for me at the present while spot prices are high and outlooks remain positive. Also, I work full-time and have three kids, so finding the time to snipe auctions and go to estate sales is likewise difficult! 🤣
I know right? - Also looking forward to seeing your setup. What anode bag (material) do you use? I appreciate the stainless steel colander idea. So that will mean I'll be happy to go with the wife into the homewares store... 😇

Make sure it's a non magnetic stainless steel bowl. The 300 series .
I know right? - Also looking forward to seeing your setup. What anode bag (material) do you use? I appreciate the stainless steel colander idea. So that will mean I'll be happy to go with the wife into the homewares store... 😇
wor

If I may , I used a double layer of muslin cloth. In a 1/2 cup Tupperware container on top of another 2/2 Tupperware container with a coffee paper filter . Contained all slimes in the muslin cloth anode bag . Holes drilled in the Tupperware of course .

Thank you.
Apologies for taking so long to post these pictures. I don't have anything running right now, but these show the complete assembly of one of my cells (minus containment and ventilation). Hope this helps!

-Mike T.

Attachments

• 20230521_000041.jpg
    20230521_000041.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Thank you.
Anode made from feedstock. This starts out fairly thick. As this corrodes away, I roll this out in a rolling mill a few times, until it is too thin to be used as an anode. Then it gets tossed in with the rest of the shot. Anodes last a very long time this way... essentially regenerating them via rolling mill in between batches.

Attachments

• 20230521_000131.jpg
    20230521_000131.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Thank you.
This is a big help... clear plexiglass cover so I don't have to disturb anything to monitor progress. Stainless steel contact plates superglued to the underside of the cover, contact the stainless colander when clamped into place. Also important is that the cover doesn't completely seal the cell when in place and and allows limited air flow so condensation doesn't built up on the underside during operation.

Attachments

• 20230521_000226.jpg
    20230521_000226.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back