any idea what kind of metal this is

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moses

Hi everyone I don't know if I should post this question here or somewhere else I'm not familiar with forums and how they operate but im trying to learn, my question is what type of metal or metals these contacts are I have a lot of them but would like to know what they are made of before I start putting time into getting them off thanks everyone Moses

Attachments

• 17127706331293997702194416001360.jpg
    17127706331293997702194416001360.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi everyone I don't know if I should post this question here or somewhere else I'm not familiar with forums and how they operate but im trying to learn, my question is what type of metal or metals these contacts are I have a lot of them but would like to know what they are made of before I start putting time into getting them off thanks everyone Moses
It can be many things, testing it may be necessary to find out.

I see silver contact and coated plate of brass/bronze. Eventho im not quite sure it is electrical, as for the silver contact.
But the edges clearly show some brass where it was scratched by dragging it on the ground.

you have nitric acid?
in any case, any scrap miner should have it !!!!
you take it, bite off the contact, throw it in acid. If the contact is made of platinum or gold, it remains intact and will shine brightly. (check the white one with a magnet - it may be a tungsten alloy),
if there is palladium in the alloy it will give a coffee color around the contact.
If this silver dissolves, then you add a pinch of salt and chloride will form.

Back