Anybody know what this might be?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this black sand sample you can see red spots throughout, I have not incinerated the sample yet to confirm cinnabar.

It's not cinnabar.

Screenshot from 2021-12-23 23-48-59.png

Last edited:
The photos in your first post will allow you to get gold. I do not think it is "Pyrargyrite". I do not think so. Your rock is sulfide.
The sample should be taken a little deeper and tested again. Dirty quartz increases the likelihood of gold. Of course be careful. There is a possibility of arsenic in these minerals.
The photos in your next post show the same. Sulfide rock with large amounts of pyrite or chalcopyrite. Of course, there is also the possibility of hidden gold in them.

In this black sand sample you can see red spots throughout, I have not incinerated the sample yet to confirm cinnabar.

It's not cinnabar.

View attachment 47587
Red opaque grains in black sand are usually a very bad sign and no roasting should be taken unless further analyzed. Realgar, orpiment, cinnabar etc... All pastel yellow/orange/reddish stuff is potentially dangerous (obviously you can recognize rusted ironstone and similar stuff from this).
I stumbled across this type of concentrate few times. Colorful concentrate with obvious cinnabar in it and various funky orange/yellowish coloured specks between black magnetite/hematite- full of arsenic and mercury :D tasty :p

Back