Anyone ever seen this happen

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubbler is my most used piece besides my hot plate. The bubbler should do just fine.
Do I need to put it on low heat or anything with the copper in it? Had been in approx an hours. Copper just as bare as it was when I put it in that solution.

Check it tomorrow. It should be done. Even then, it will only be light dusting at most, but in a less toxic form. If the stannous test pictured is the way it appears on my phone, there may be no PGM’s anyway. Better safe than sorry later though.

Check it tomorrow. It should be done. Even then, it will only be light dusting at most, but in a less toxic form. If the stannous test pictured is the way it appears on my phone, there may be no PGM’s anyway. Better safe than sorry later though.
Here's a stannous test just taken at 2045hrs.

Attachments

• 17222140500931729450036277705578.jpg
    17222140500931729450036277705578.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
How much SMB did you use? Too much SMB can sometimes leave a lite stain on your stannous test strip.

What is the PH of your solution, It needs to be in a low PH for SMB to work effectively.
Hello my friend,
Unfortunately I was ill prepared this go around. Had some excess nitric in solution, so it took a good bit. I did order some more sulfamic acid for this next go around.
I'm not sure of the ph, I do know this solution is extremely diluted though. What pH strips do you use?

That works out great. I have duty tonight so I won't be near it to watch over it. I'll be back to have a glance at it about 0800hrs tomorrow.
Again, I am so grateful for all your help.
One concern I do have is if it is too diluted. Then what could I do? It's pretty diluted.

Study Dave’s link. It has to be the single most detailed process for cementing waste solutions out there. From there Kurtak has some additional information if you have access to fine mesh copper powder.

Study Dave’s link. It has to be the single most detailed process for cementing waste solutions out there. From there Kurtak has some additional information if you have access to fine mesh copper powder.
This is what it looks like today. It appears a little lighter and the copper has something on it. No dust in the bottom. Just that on the copper. Won't shake off so I am going to try and spray it off.

Attachments

• 17222903824729189305838114447508.jpg
    17222903824729189305838114447508.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
How much SMB did you use? Too much SMB can sometimes leave a lite stain on your stannous test strip.

What is the PH of your solution, It needs to be in a low PH for SMB to work effectively.
This is today's stannous test.

Attachments

• 20240729_180756.heic
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Shark,
Whatever was in that solution plated the copper. Take a look. Looks like platinum. Didn't drop any powder, just put a beautiful plating on the copper.

Attachments

• 17224555724476789890122551085888.jpg
    17224555724476789890122551085888.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Shark,
Whatever was in that solution plated the copper. Take a look. Looks like platinum. Didn't drop any powder, just put a beautiful plating on the copper.
Palladium, maybe silver or platinum. Not sure why they would plate out with that shiny finish though.

Palladium, maybe silver or platinum. Not sure why they would plate out with that shiny finish though.
Me either. But i learned some so I can't be too frustrated about it. Again I am extremely grateful for all your help and everyone here. Forever grateful is an understatement.

Latest posts

Back