AP FOR SILVER PLATED OVER COPPER

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMCAT_7475

If time is not an issue, would AP work for silver plate over copper? Dissolve the copper and just leave the silver.

What kind of scrap are we talking about?

In 90% of all possible cases I would say that the copper you dissolve is worth more than the silver and you will use up the stoichiometric amount of HCl - in practice about 200 g per 64g of copper. There are a lot other ways to recover the silver, which you could take into your consideration. Some will leave the copper intact.

It depends Björn. Copper(II) chloride is very inexpensive to make and maintain. The copper can be recovered later. I have some military grade, silver plated pins in AP right now. Let me see what it looks like in a couple of days and I'll report back on it here.

and you will use up the stoichiometric amount of HCl - in practice about 200 g per 64g of copper.

Sorry, Jeff. I was too late with my editing. This above is what I added. Dissolving heavy pieces of copper only to get a few gramms of silver makes not much sense. Something else, if you use the copper to cement values in the stock pot maybe.

All electrolytical methods would not consume any chemicals. Conc. sulfuric to strip silver from copper has been mentioned somewhere, didn't try this yet, because of its inefficiency. Tap water cell could also be useful.

Just like gold plating, you have to look at surface area. If it were large pieces like buss bar, I would agree. If it's silver plated copper wire or connector pins or small contact points that cant be sweated off, it may well be worth it. HCl is about $7 US per gallon where I live. The pins I have are very thick silver plating. That's a lot of surface area per pound.

Knowing Jeff he won't be doing this for fun, if it doesn't pay he won't do it again.
There is a way to strip the silver off chemically but it's a dangerous mix of nasty concentrated acids at high temperatures....err no thanks :shock:

Latest posts

Back