AP Gold solution shows crystal

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwxj61b

I had 5 lbs of gold plated scrap from cell phone. I put it in HCL & H2O2. I waited 4 days & while waiting, I did add heat. Anyway, by the 4th day, there were white crystal. What did I do wrong? And what's that white crystal? Would AR take care of the crystal?

My first though would be CuCl. Are you running an air bubbler? What color is the solution? How much material and how much solution? I have more questions than answers. A picture might be helpful.

Dave

Guys, thanks for reply. I took some of that crystal with water and try to boil off the water(filtering took so long). The pot turn red which I draw to conclusion that the crystal might be copper. So I took some of the crystal sample and add HCl, my problem is solve because it was dissolve. The heat thing, for 3 days it was on and off. I guess most of the HCL had vaporize

Shot in the dark - long needle like white crystals? -lead chloride?

...guessing is all that can be done without more information.

My guess, is based on you saying cell boards. That is all, well, that and you added heat, so it got concentrated, then when it cooled, they precipitated out.

kwxj61b said:
Guys, thanks for reply. I took some of that crystal with water and try to boil off the water(filtering took so long). The pot turn red which I draw to conclusion that the crystal might be copper. So I took some of the crystal sample and add HCl, my problem is solve because it was dissolve. The heat thing, for 3 days it was on and off. I guess most of the HCL had vaporize

Didnt see this post before i did my guess reply.

What do the white crystals look like.
What color of red?
Any crystals dissolve in the water while you were evaporating?

Im guessing lead chloride. If you boiled the crystals in a metal pot. They still could have been somewhat saturated in hcl. Even the slightest bit in a ton of water could have turned the pot red.
Just like someone trying to neutralize an acid with just water. Doesnt work, because the acid is still there. Heat of course would help aid in the corrosion of the pot.

Latest posts

Back