AR Process questions....1 more newbie...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Folks! It´s my firts post here. I´m reading lots of interesting things here and you guys are helping me a lot. I want to thank you before I come with my questions.So, thank you!

What I want to know (hope Harold gimme a hand on this point) is how to proceed in the case where I have palladium, silver and cooper in the solution when using the AR process.
I´ll give an example so you guys will understand clearly where my doubts are:
I´ve been buying old jewelry so I melt everything and as a result I have
Au + Ag + Pd + Cu all together. Then I make thin leaves with this and put them to react with AR.
I want to separate all the metals how do I proceed?
I found some advices where people say that silver will precipitate alone as AgCl and the rest of the metals will remain in the solution.
can I continue adding precipitants for every different metal present and then filtering?
thanks

Joker,

Welcome to the forum.

The silver will be a dark residue in the bottom of the solution. Pour or siphon off the liquid and rinse the solids well. Combined the liquids. Process the silver chloride separately with dilute (5-10%) H2SO4 and iron or aluminum. This will yield silver metal in 24 hours or less of soak time.

Filter the AR solution until clear and no turbidity remains ( no longer cloudy).

Test for gold and precipitate the gold with SMB if present.

Test to be sure all gold is removed.

Boil the gold powder in HCl and rinse with water.

Redissolve the gold and precipitate and wash a second time.

Siphon off the liquid and rinse the gold throughly with water. Combined the liquids.

Test for Pd and precipitate the Pd with ammonium chloride and sodium chlorate if present.

Precipitate the copper with iron or aluminum. Wash it throughly and press dry.

Neutralize the leftover solution and dispose of properly.

Steve

lazersteve said:

Test to be sure all gold is removed.
Excellent advice thus far.

Once you've precipitated the gold, if you are testing to see if there is any gold still in solution, the reaction you get with stannous chloride can be confusing when there is palladium included. You can test further by using a glass rod to take a drop of solution, and placing it in a spot plate cavity. Add a small crystal of ferrous sulfate to the drop, and observe the reaction. If there is still gold present (in solution), you'll see it precipitate as a fine foil, or minute gold particles. You'll also detect a slight change in the color of the solution. By comparing a test of a different drop, using stannous chloride on both samples, you can easily see a difference in the reaction, assuming there was still gold present.

Test for Pd and precipitate the Pd with ammonium chloride and sodium chlorate if present.
Remember that the platinum group of metals behaves totally differently from gold---and will not precipitate from dilute solutions. It's not uncommon for a solution to test positive for these metals, yet refuse to precipitate, or precipitate only partially. If you have enough to make it worth your time, I strongly advise evaporation to concentrate the solution to effect recovery.

The alternative is to pour the values to your stock pot, which should be a part of everyone's lab if they are refining precious metals. In the stock pot, the values will be recovered by cementation, and concentrated. When enough is accumulated, the gathered values can then be processed for separation and purification. Solutions that are heavily contaminated with base metals are best processed by this manner. Extracting the Pt. group metals from overly dirty solution is a sure way to recover well contaminated values.

Harold

wildjoker said:
I´ve been buying old jewelry so I melt everything and as a result I have Au + Ag + Pd + Cu all together. Then I make thin leaves with this and put them to react with AR.
I wouldn't process that way, being a strong advocate of inquartation. I'm not suggesting it doesn't work, but it has the potential to yield problems that are not enjoyable, and yields values of questionable quality. That would be particularly true of the platinum group metals, which are difficult to wash without dissolving when recovered as a salt.

By processing the metals with nitric, before introducing AR, you would remove the bulk of the base metals, along with silver and palladium, plus traces of any platinum that may be present. They values would then be recovered with copper, including the Pt. group metals, assuming you leave them in contact with copper long enough. They are last to cement from solution, which becomes obvious by keeping watch on the color of the solution, and the color of the cemented values. As the Pt. group precipitate, the color of the solution generally shifts from green to blue, and the cement gathers a black deposit.

The Pt. group values would be recovered from the silver when the silver was parted in an electrolytic cell, and would report in the slimes. That's pretty much the conventional method of purifying silver and recovering trace values. It works extremely well and is an interesting process to perform.

I found some advices where people say that silver will precipitate alone as AgCl and the rest of the metals will remain in the solution.
That's true for the most part. Research has proven that a small percentage of silver will behave much like gold, and remain in a chloride solution, yet to be converted to a chloride. GSP proposes that it will self precipitate simply by diluting with several volumes of water, which parallels my experience. The balance of silver will have converted directly to silver chloride. In essence, it's safe to conclude that silver and gold can not be in solution at the same time in acid. It is that very quality that makes refining of gold so easy.

Harold

lazersteve said:
Joker,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! it´s my pleasure been here with you guys in this wonderful place!Before I continue asking you guys I want to show my gratitude for your help!

lazersteve said:

Do I have to separate the first precipitated gold from the solution before testing?

lazersteve said:
Boil the gold powder in HCl and rinse with water.

Redissolve the gold and precipitate and wash a second time.

Wich concentration is this HCl solution where I have to boil the gold? Is this procedure a way to ensure that the gold is really "pure"?
About the water, do it have to be destilled water?

lazersteve said:
Precipitate the copper with iron or aluminum. Wash it throughly and press dry.
can I add ferrous sulfate to precipitate the copper?

Hope i´m clear in the questions so you don´t get bored trying to figure out my doubts.
Once again, thanks a lot Steve!

Hi, Harold, first of all thanks for the priceless advices you´ve been giving in this post, Me and the other "mortals" :D really apreciate them!

Harold_V said:
I wouldn't process that way, being a strong advocate of inquartation. I'm not suggesting it doesn't work, but it has the potential to yield problems that are not enjoyable, and yields values of questionable quality. That would be particularly true of the platinum group metals, which are difficult to wash without dissolving when recovered as a salt.

So I should go through inquartation in your opinion. But beeing more specific, should I add more base metal as says the normal inquartation process or simply process this mix of metals I´ve already laminated?

When processing with nitric, does the gold stay in metallic form?( just to confirm my readings as most say it stays)

Harold_V said:
By processing the metals with nitric, before introducing AR, you would remove the bulk of the base metals, along with silver and palladium, plus traces of any platinum that may be present. They values would then be recovered with copper, including the Pt. group metals, assuming you leave them in contact with copper long enough. They are last to cement from solution, which becomes obvious by keeping watch on the color of the solution, and the color of the cemented values. As the Pt. group precipitate, the color of the solution generally shifts from green to blue, and the cement gathers a black deposit.
What kind of copper? can I use a bar of copper for example?
what happens, the copper takes place in the reaction with the acid and the other metals precipitates?

Harold_V said:
The Pt. group values would be recovered from the silver when the silver was parted in an electrolytic cell, and would report in the slimes. That's pretty much the conventional method of purifying silver and recovering trace values. It works extremely well and is an interesting process to perform.
I have no clue on how to work with an electrolytic cell, can you point some literature on this subject,please?

Harold_V said:
That's true for the most part. Research has proven that a small percentage of silver will behave much like gold, and remain in a chloride solution, yet to be converted to a chloride. GSP proposes that it will self precipitate simply by diluting with several volumes of water, which parallels my experience. The balance of silver will have converted directly to silver chloride. In essence, it's safe to conclude that silver and gold can not be in solution at the same time in acid. It is that very quality that makes refining of gold so easy.
Harold

the water you add here is distilled or can be tap water? this water I add to the AR solution before I siphon the liquid(yet containing gold) and filter the silver salt or after the separation?
If I do the process of inquartation as you proposed, this will not be an efficient way to recovery the silver from the nitric acid solution, how should I handle this?

Once again thanks for your patience and help.
best regards.
Joker

other question I have is: when I test for remanescent gold and the test is positive, do I have to simply add more SMB or to evaporate the solution to get a better concentration for this?
TX

wildjoker said:
So I should go through inquartation in your opinion. But beeing more specific, should I add more base metal as says the normal inquartation process or simply process this mix of metals I´ve already laminated?

What I would do in the same situation is sort the materials, so you know what you have. Avoid combining junk jewelry, which can contain elements that can create problems in refining, and lend little, if anything, to the recovered values. Any known pieces of platinum would not be melted, but removed. The average karat would be calculated, then silver scrap would be added to lower the overall gold content to roughly 25%. Once melted, the alloy is then poured in water to generate what I call corn flakes. These small bits present a large surface area to nitric and water, allowing for all of the base metals (including silver) to be removed before dissolving the values.

When processing with nitric, does the gold stay in metallic form?( just to confirm my readings as most say it stays)

Yes. Because gold will not dissolve in any single acid, it is not dissolved, but left behind in a honeycombed configuration, which is very desirable. If the inquartation (the word springs from the concept of quartering, or 25%) is much below 25%, the gold starts to disintegrate, often going into suspension. Once that happens, you must wait until the suspended particles settle before decanting the solution. No harm, but it slows down the operation. If, on the other hand, the inquartation isn't low enough, the amount of gold present has the potential to protect the base metals from nitric, so you get incomplete dissolution. When the exposed gold gets dissolved by AR, the remaining portion, which still has a preponderance of silver, will form a hard green/gray crust of silver chloride, which isolates the alloy from AR, stopping the process.

Harold_V said:
What kind of copper? can I use a bar of copper for example?

Large pieces are desirable, so you can retrieve them after cementation. If you use wire, if it isn't totally consumed in the process, it can be difficult to retrieve. That somewhat defeats the purpose in recovery, leaving behind unwanted copper. That limits the useful life of your electrolyte in a parting cell.

what happens, the copper takes place in the reaction with the acid and the other metals precipitates?

Exactly. The copper is consumed in the process, so it is sacrificial. Works the same way zinc does, but is highly selective in that it won't precipitate anything but values.

Harold_V said:
I have no clue on how to work with an electrolytic cell, can you point some literature on this subject,please?

A silver cell isn't complex-----one can be constructed from something as simple as a stainless container from a restaurant steam table. For the moment, it's more than I'd like to spend time on, but you might enjoy a book written by Butts & Coxe (really, no joke!) , which covers silver cells quite well. I'm at a loss to provide the title, but a search by the author's names will narrow it down immediately. Should you get serious, I'd be willing to dedicate more time to its construction, and provide guidelines that worked for me.

Harold_V said:

the water you add here is distilled or can be tap water? this water I add to the AR solution before I siphon the liquid(yet containing gold) and filter the silver salt or after the separation?

Many insist that it is mandatory that distilled water be used. I say that's nonsense. Unless your objective is ultra pure gold (better than 9999), the contaminants in culinary water are not a factor. I used distilled water only for making standard solutions, and for the electrolyte in my silver cell. I distilled my own, so availability was not a factor. I simply couldn't see a benefit in using distilled water, and if you've seen the picture of my gold shot, which I have posted many times, you'd see, clearly, that my quality was superb. My gold could be melted without flux and remain shiny.

If I do the process of inquartation as you proposed, this will not be an efficient way to recovery the silver from the nitric acid solution, how should I handle this?

I think that you'll find that working with silver chloride is a PITA once you've tried recovering silver on copper. I avoided silver chloride like the plague, creating it only from exceedingly dirty solutions, where drag-down of contaminants was severe. YMMV, however. It's often the case where one person doesn't mind a given operation, while others do. However, I think you'll find that most refiners will suggest you avoid silver chloride. If nothing else, it's far more demanding of your time, with little benefit.

Harold

wildjoker said:
other question I have is: when I test for remanescent gold and the test is positive, do I have to simply add more SMB or to evaporate the solution to get a better concentration for this?
TX

Gold is unlike the Pt metals in that you can achieve total precipitation in dilute solutions. If you find you still have gold in solution after precipitating, add more precipitant. As long as you don't have free nitric present, all of it should precipitate. There would be little benefit in evaporation in this case.

Harold

Harold_V said:
As long as you don't have free nitric present, all of it should precipitate.

Harold

what do you mean with free nitric? is it about extracting the nitric acid from the solutin before I start to precipitate the gold?

wildjoker said:
Harold_V said:
As long as you don't have free nitric present, all of it should precipitate.

Harold
what do you mean with free nitric? is it about extracting the nitric acid from the solutin before I start to precipitate the gold?

That's correct, but is better defined as nitric that has not combined with another substance----or is free to dissolve yet more material. Excess nitric that is unused.

You have three options. One is to include more base metal, which will consume the nitric (not recommended), second is to use urea, which binds the nitric so precipitation can be accomplished (I also do not recommend this practice, although it is commonly used), or to evaporate the solution long enough to expel the nitric. I used that process routinely, but I also added pure gold in solid form, so the nitric would be consumed without adding more contaminants to the solution. By weighing a button before and after it was used, the amount of gold added was easily determined. This method consumes the acid, which is faster than evaporation, although the solution was evaporated in the process, which was my preferred method of operation. YMMV.

Harold

Harold, what happens if I try to precipitte with SMB without taking off the nitric acid excess?

Another question is: Why do you guys advocate that the better base metal to add in inquartation is silver? what makes copper a bad choice?
thanks!

wildjoker said:
Another question is: Why do you guys advocate that the better base metal to add in inquartation is silver? what makes copper a bad choice?
thanks!
Hoke's book says that copper or brass can be used for inquartation, but may not be economically feasible to recover for re-use.

wildjoker said:
Harold, what happens if I try to precipitte with SMB without taking off the nitric acid excess?
While I never used SMB, I did use SO2, which is what does the work when you use SMB.

Two things.

For the most part, gold won't precipitate. While I have little to offer as evidence, the few times I recall precipitating with traces of nitric present, reaction was slow, and I recall brown fumes coming from the cylinder. When time comes to wash the gold, nitric that remains will re-dissolve some of the gold, so even if you manage to succeed, you're far better off to eliminate traces.

In spite of everything you read, simply rinsing gold rarely eliminates contaminants, including unwanted acids. If it was all that easy, you could simply rinse precipitated gold with a little water and have it clean. As we all know from experience, that is not the case. My washing procedure involved prolonged boiling in HCl and water, plus clear water rinses, with an ammonium hydroxide wash in the middle. After the final boil in water, I still found traces of HCl in my gold when it was heated for drying.

Those that have used SMB should comment accordingly. Could be they have observed reactions of which I am unaware, having used gas from a cylinder for years. My only other experience was with ferrous sulfate, plus one failed attempt at using oxalic acid.

It's not exactly a bad choice----but if you refine on a regular basis, as I did, you have scrap silver coming in regularly. In order to refine it efficiently, it is best dissolved in nitric, so the copper it contains can be eliminated before introducing the silver to a parting cell for final purification. I chose to use silver because it made more sense. You kill two cats with one stone.

If the above isn't reason enough, consider that copper requires almost double the amount of nitric acid to dissolve as does an equal amount of silver. With the high cost of nitric, it makes more sense to use silver, assuming your circumstances are similar to what mine were.

If you choose to use copper, or a copper alloy, I advise you to use care. Many of the copper alloys contain lead, while others contain tin. Some alloys contain both of them. They should be avoided if at all possible. Lead destroys the qualities of gold, although it can be eliminated from solution by the addition of a little sulfuric acid. Tin, on the other hand, renders gold chloride solutions difficult to filter. Do everything in your power to exclude both of these metals from your operation.

Harold

Back