Are all flip chips gold-less?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24carrotdong

My assumption was all flip chips are gold less, however, I've come across some chips from server RAM with the gold tab at the corner. This pic encompasses all the "varieties" of flip chips.
I've dissected a couple, but found nothing conclusive.

Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• 20220623_041807.jpg
    20220623_041807.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Many of those have gold in them. Heck, you can SEE the gold plating on the outsides of a number of them. Others, mostly the newest ones, have little or none.

As with all such chips, I toss em all in the pot and burn off the plastic. Too much time and effort to check each one individually. Just process them all. There's not much metal in each one overall, so even those that have no gold don't waste much acid.

Affirmative. Thank you!
I'll post the results in the future. I'm still in the collecting (though I think I'm closer to hoarding at this point) phase while simultaneously absorbing knowledge from the forum.

I've never wasted my time on these chips because I've never seen gold in them, or at least any amount worthy of the time. So I've never attempted to process those, it'll be interesting to see you're results.

On a side note..... the process is going to need a lot of acid and in turn generate a lot of waste. So any gold you get will probably not cover your cost.... but if you're doing it for the education/experience, maybe you'll find it worth it.

Back