Band saw blades

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know about band saw blade but a good pair of wiss cutter do the trick just finer for me,fast precis and eficient...

I have military spec boards to cut and hand tools will not do the job. My research has turned up a cnc machine mill with a carbide tip that will do the job but it's very expensive. I recently purchased a small Inland band saw which was advertised as cutting circuit boards. It worked ok on some thin memory sticks, but after 6 inches of cutting the thicker boards, the teeth were gone. I used their Metal Cut blade which is what they recommended. I also have a diamond blade and a wet cut attachment which I will try out.

i would think, which ever has the most teeth to reduce splintering and dust. more teeth = finer cut.

Should be able to use a metal cutoff saw blade. Should be able to find one that fits a bandsaw. Put one on mine last year. Bought it at sears.

Tom C.

Band saw blades and fiber glass boards do not get along well. Fiber glass is exceedingly abrasive material, quickly dulling the teeth. I highly recommend you lose the idea of sawing---it gets expensive, not only for blades, but your health.

Harold (the retired tool maker/machinist)

A wet tile saw, table type 6" or so will work nicely for you. They can be found cheaply in second hand stores.

I used a set of Nipper pliers or End cutting pliers. The cutter is flat on the end and makes it easy to get real close to the board even if snipping off a transistor. They work great for me. If you are not sure what they look like; go to a search site like Amazon and view their pliers. They can be purchased at most hardware stores. Seems to me to get a set with the cut angle shallow so the cut is not so high off the mark.

You can use the carbon steel band saw blades. They are ideal for cutting all kinds of plastics.
At link deleted, they have the 201 series Haltbar Hard Back Carbon. I think it is the most economical blade for the job.

Joseph Thomas said:
You can use the carbon steel band saw blades. They are ideal for cutting all kinds of plastics.
At http://www.sawblade.com, they have the 201 series Haltbar Hard Back Carbon. I think it is the most economical blade for the job.
Because fiber glass boards are very abrasive, a carbon steel blade won't last long, and the longer it's used, the worse it becomes. It will quickly get to the point where it no longer cuts.

It's best to shear this type of material, so you don't create dust. I don't recommend cutting by any means if there's swarf or chips created in the process.

Harold

I went through many bandsaw blades when I first started cutting edge fingers and quickly figured out that almost 1/3 of my gold value would be wasted on buying blades.

I bought a sheet metal sheer from Harbor Freight for $99.00 and have used it for about 25 pounds of edge fingers. It's still going strong and I have used it to cut some of the very thick backplane boards into smaller pieces to make it easier for my pin prying efforts.

I highly recommend the sheer over the bandsaw.

I would bet that Joseph Thomas is a saw blade spammer. I was tempted to report it at first, but thought it may be of use to someone here. But if he doesn't return, I bet dumping that link here was his only business.

Jim

jim---

I thought the same thing, like he did a search with "band saw blades" + forum, or something like that, then drive-by posted to all of them.

:?:

It seems like he didn't really read the thread.

oldgeek said:
A wet tile saw, table type 6" or so will work nicely for you. They can be found cheaply in second hand stores.
That has been discusssed before. I don't recommend the idea. A tile saw creates a huge volume of fine swarf, and while it's suspended in the coolant, it is still breathed. You end up with fine particles in your lungs, which most likely will lead so serious health issues.

Harold

Regards Joseph Thomas, I agree---his post is most likely just spam. I have removed his link.

Siding Shears? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6145592707P?sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6818601102

Latest posts

Back