Been researching for a couple days now!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchyBacon

Hey guys as the title says I've been researching for a couple days and can't find a rough estimate on how many memory cards it takes to make a pound of fingers (approximately). I understand there are alot of variables but I have roughly 606 sticks and have not received them yet to trim and weigh myself. If anyone has used just memory and trimmed them to equal a pound could you give me a rough estimate please. Thanks.

I apologize. Go figure I'd find a little more info after posting. I found the following info.
It takes approximately 25 memory sticks to equal 1 lb of memory sticks
It takes 2.75lbs memory approximately to equal 1 gram of Au

Please feel free to correct me.

I did some quick calculations and figure it takes 363 memory sticks to produce 1lb of fingers. Of course this depends on how they are trimmed.
If you have 606 sticks of memory, expect somewhere around 1.67lbs of fingers.

What are you doing with the rest of the stick? Selling?

resabed01 said:
I did some quick calculations and figure it takes 363 memory sticks to produce 1lb of fingers. Of course this depends on how they are trimmed.
If you have 606 sticks of memory, expect somewhere around 1.67lbs of fingers.

What are you doing with the rest of the stick? Selling?

Thanks so much for the info. And yes I will be selling them after trimming the fingers. I viewed your profile and it says your in Atlanta. That's good news for you. I am a truck driver and live by savannah. So that means no shipping cost as I get an Atlanta run at least once every 2 weeks.

p.s. a little more research shows a user yielded an average of 0.3617grams per pound of memory stick or 0.3617grams per 25 memory sticks (APPROXIMATELY) :lol:

Edited further that equates to 0.014468 grams per memory stick. Using this calculation it would take approximately 70 sticks or 2.85lbs to yield 1 gram of Au.

Again these are just approximates. Thanks

Don't toss the rest of the memory stick with the chips. The chips contain gold too. It's just a little more tricky to get out but many here do it all the time.

resabed01 = Location: Alberta

I think that you will find that Alberta is slightly farther north than Atlanta. :lol:

p.s. a little more research shows a user yielded an average of 0.3617grams per pound of memory stick or 0.3617grams per 25 memory sticks (APPROXIMATELY) :lol:

Edited further that equates to 0.014468 grams per memory stick. Using this calculation it would take approximately 70 sticks or 2.85lbs to yield 1 gram of Au.

Again these are just approximates.

Be careful with those estimations. The smaller the test batch, the more imprecise the number will be. 60-70 pieces DDR2 RAM (about 1kg) may yield 0,5 grams refined gold. The rest of the gold stays in the ICs, maybe another 0,5 grams. But don't wonder, if it is only half that much.

Those estimations are good for calculating the chemicals like HNO3 or SMB (if you process the ICs) and to evaluate the plausibility of your actual yield. Today I would not any longer use them for pricing.

Ok thanks so much. I'm up to 1200+ sticks of ram now. I will be using 500 stick test batches and get an average from 3 runs. I'll be sure and post my results. Thanks again guys.

CrunchyBacon said:
Ok thanks so much. I'm up to 1200+ sticks of ram now. I will be using 500 stick test batches and get an average from 3 runs. I'll be sure and post my results. Thanks again guys.

If you haven't done this before, I would strongly suggest first doing a couple of test batches with just a few fingers. This will give you an idea of what is happening before tackling a larger batch. I've been doing this for nearly 50 years and I still run small test batches on things I haven't done before.

Latest posts

Back