best method for 9k gold?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgp_scrap

Hey guys. Have 100g 9k gold filled (cu) jewelry.
Just wondering what method would be best for purifying it to 20k+
Im comfortable with acid peroxide method. And half understand the aqua regia.
T.I.A

The best method to learn to recover and refine gold, is by study, Hokes book and the forum.
Doing so you will learn to do it safely, without hurting yourself and others, you can learn how to do it properly, learn to find recover and refine gold to high purity, without loosing your gold in the processes.

Any other method is just a waste of time and gold in my opinion.

Incinerate then dissolve the base metals in nitric acid filter and incinerate all solids again, soak in hydrochloric acid until all reactions cease, re filter and dissolve in AR. Don't forget that most 9k has silver as part of its makeup.
There won't be huge amounts of gold in this best guess is around 1-2 grams of gold depending on its quality and wear.

And half understand the aqua regia.

Since you admit to only a partial understanding of this step, study hard on AR (Aqua Regia) and mixed metals. The time to question your ability is now, before getting deep into something your not reasonably sure of. One failure I had the first few times was over filtering, study on how to work from as few of containers as possible, no sense in leaving more than necessary in filters. HINT: decant

Good Luck, and keep reading.

9K can be made almost pure by dissolution in hot nitric acid. Inquarted gold should be 6K and 9K is close enough for the acid to work around the gold. Simple dissolution in hot nitric acid and perhaps a further refine depending on what the sponge looks like.

Latest posts

Back