BEST % OF ammonium hydrox ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanbucket1

Hello. New to the forum as u can see by the profile... Havent really experimented too much on differant %antages of AH during the refining process. Wondering who has and what is the best % to use? Been using about 50% but heard 28-30% works sufficiantly and is easier to come by. Is this true????

Hello. New to the forum as u can see by the profile... Havent really experimented too much on differant %antages of AH during the refining process. Wondering who has and what is the best % to use? Been using about 50% but heard 28-30% works sufficiantly and is easier to come by. Is this true????

cleanbucket1,
Y R U talkin this away? eye dunnot udderstad ewe .

If I typed in my text lingo and you typed in yours neither of us would understand the other, it is hard enough for us to understand each other sometimes when we spell out all of the words, and a misunderstanding could get someone hurt, here we do not use shorthand or texting but try the best we can to make our posts understandable.

I really do not understand your question, ammonium hydroxide is very dangerous to use with these metal powders, and even very dilute solutions can be dangerous, very seldom will we suggest its use, and only then with cautions to make solutions safe.

Please repost your question in English, and fill in details of what process your discussing, when, how, why you think you need to use ammonium hydroxide, and what metals or solutions, and how your insuring your safety.

Welcome to the forum, we are a great group and we welcome a new friend like you, but we do not text, and need to make ourselves as clear as possible.

My quick answer to this question is do not use ammonium hydroxide at all in refining (at least until I know more details of your question).

Well butcher, I didnt think one wouldnt understand what "U" meant or a % symbol. Other than that cant understand what your not getting. I understood what you were trying to say exactly even though it didnt make any sense what so ever.
I did say I was new to the forum but not to recovery or refining. Im well aware of all hazards and safety issues. IM A CHEMIST...
I do however appreciate your concern as eveyone should be aware of what they are dealing with when getting their hands into such dangerous liquids, gasses and metals especially alkalis ( if any are in use with your/their project).
Use of the AH is during the refining process of gold. A process if used well will refine small amounts of gold to .999 pure. I havent really had much time to experiment in chem and acid "percentages" to help with time and effort, but now to answere what seems to be a question; Using the Ammonium Hydroxide during refining as a cleaning agent for your gold powder before hitting with nitric (which will tell you if your mud or gold powder, is contaminated ) helps with overal purity of your gold. Working on bettering a .9997 purity level in this process.
Hopefully you may have some helpful pointers in this question. It will save me some time. Thanks

Any texting lingo is not permitted on the forum. It will get you booted if you persist. Butcher was just warning you.

Jim

jimdoc said:
Any texting lingo is not permitted on the forum. It will get you booted if you persist.
Hopefully this comment will solve the problem.
As far as your ammonia question,I have never used ammonia ever in any cleaning process.I have never seen an absolute necessity to use it.If you are accustomed to using it,and are very fluent in the process,then I would assume,you would just continue to clean with it.But myself and many others on the forum do not use it,nor do we see the need to.
If you are not fully experienced with refining,I would suggest you stick with everything that Hoke says!

ammonia hydroxide will dissolve a few impurities like silver.household grade from the market works fine.warning: do not let ammonia sit on material overnight and never let it dry.after the rinse with ammonia rinse immediately with water.ammonia in metal bearing solutions can create explosive compounds.

cleanbucket1 said:
Well butcher, I didnt think one wouldnt understand what "U" meant or a % symbol.
Let's clear the air here, immediately. This forum is unlike virtually all others you are likely to encounter on the net. Here, we don't permit flaming, and we demand that readers have manners (not insinuating you don't have).

You were advised that text lingo (any kind of short hand) is not acceptable on this forum. The sole exception is the use of acceptable chemical titles. You can take that to the bank.

When you post a question, use clear, concise English, to the best of your ability. We make exceptions for folks that don't use English as a first language, but there's no excuse for others to not be clear.

Taking note that you said you are a chemist, most of us are not. It is for that reason that you should spell out anything that others might find questionable. That would be particularly true in this instance, where the addition of ammonium hydroxide to metal salts can result in the formation of explosive compounds. Don't say anything that can be confused, putting others at risk.

Harold (who is not a chemist)

mic said:
jimdoc said:
Any texting lingo is not permitted on the forum. It will get you booted if you persist.
Hopefully this comment will solve the problem.
As far as your ammonia question,I have never used ammonia ever in any cleaning process.I have never seen an absolute necessity to use it.If you are accustomed to using it,and are very fluent in the process,then I would assume,you would just continue to clean with it.But myself and many others on the forum do not use it,nor do we see the need to.
If you are not fully experienced with refining,I would suggest you stick with everything that Hoke says!
What Geo said!
I used ammonium hydroxide as my intermediate wash for my twice refined gold. I truly believe, especially in my case, where I precipitated from concentrated solutions, that it performed an invaluable service (removing silver chloride) from my gold. I recommend the process highly, but NEVER when working with values IN SOLUTION.

Harold

Harold_V said:
I used ammonium hydroxide as my intermediate wash for my twice refined gold. I truly believe, especially in my case, where I precipitated from concentrated solutions, that it performed an invaluable service (removing silver chloride) from my gold.
Harold, you should mention,that most of the gold that you worked with was karat gold.Whereas I am dealing in escrap,therfore I rarely have any silver in my solutions.However that is good to know,considering I am starting to work more with jewelry.

THANK YOU GEO.
Thats why I guess I come with a higher purity gold when melting and assaying than a lot of others in the forum.
As far as being experianced with such practices and experiments, YES, im very well experianced and conduct more experiments every day such as studies with nuclear fusion and how we can make energy here on our planet to gratify the future needs of power on our planet with a lower amount of wires and telephone/eletricity polls running our streets. Hence not having the time to fully experiment with all the things ive joined this forum to learn from others knowledge. Also my studies consist dramatically on those of micro biology and lots and lots of chemistry. Again, thanks for the concern, but im well qualified.

I thank you Harold.V for clearing the air. Like I said, I was and am still new to the forum and the way you went about your advice "too me" was much more in friendly manner than that of others. Such advice will be taken from now on and your absolutely correct about about putting others at risk, not that I would ever put any chemist lingo on here. That would be foolish.
I appreciate all the info that everyone is giving me on here in experimenting that is not time worthy for me. Ive also learned who most of the members are on here are that should be taken more seriously in their knowledge before conducting such tests and recovery processes for myself.

please take any warning given in the spirit of which it was given which is to keep our readers safe.you will receive many such warnings when you ask a question or respond to one.even though the warning will be in response to the question or reply it is not necessarily pointed at you but more to the people that will follow a thread or stumble upon it doing a web search.any time a dangerous process is recommended it should always be accompanied with the appropriate warning and this includes even our more senior members and not meant to imply ignorance on a particular subject but just trying to keep everyone safe.

cleanbucket1 said:
Ive also learned who most of the members are on here are that should be taken more seriously in their knowledge
Not such a smart thing to say about the people you are looking for help from.If you feel this way,you should probably keep it to yourself,and remember it when given advice from those members in the future.Because you never know......those people that are giving you help,for free,may be able to help you a lot in the future,but not if you leave snide remarks like this laying around.

mic. This was suppose to be a compliment. Guess my words come out wrong. Ill just be done with this topic now and move on to the next thread of my interest.
Thanks geo for the heads up and of course for the knowledge of adding the safety tips to my topics.

Geo said:
please take any warning given in the spirit of which it was given which is to keep our readers safe.you will receive many such warnings when you ask a question or respond to one.even though the warning will be in response to the question or reply it is not necessarily pointed at you but more to the people that will follow a thread or stumble upon it doing a web search.any time a dangerous process is recommended it should always be accompanied with the appropriate warning and this includes even our more senior members and not meant to imply ignorance on a particular subject but just trying to keep everyone safe.
That was very well stated.

Thanks.

Harold

You can use 10% ammonium hydroxide for anything you will be doing with refining.

I buy mine at the local Ace Hardware for around $5 a gallon and is free of color, soaps, and scents.

If you buy the soapy/sudzy kind you will come to regret it.

Steve

Latest posts

Back