Best process for stripping gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hrushi the question is too general.
They all have their place in the refiners processes depending on what your stripping and what it's plated over, if you give us more information as to what you want to strip I'm sure we can help more.

To me the best way is with a 90 pound jackhammer but I have never had the occasion to try it yet. Still hoping tho.

hrushi said:
Which is the best process for stripping gold

1. Cynide
2. Ki:I:H2O
3. Reverse plating

Thanks
Hrushi

1. Cyanide. Dangerous because it takes little to kill you. Dissolves exposed gold by immersion. No current required. Great for pins, fingers, etc. Only works well on gold plating, most of which is fairly pure. Does not work on gold alloys, such as the Au/Sn or Au/Si found on CPU packages.

2. KI/I2 - Not much data. Works well on many types of material. Several interesting patents. Very expensive chemicals. Must be able to extract the gold from the solution and rejuvenate the solution for re-use to make a profit.

3. Reverse plating. Uses concentrated sulfuric acid. Dangerous because it is so very easy to get burned by it. Very simple to use. Electrolytic and, therefore, each individual section of gold requires a direct electrical connection. Therefore, no good for fingers. Great for pins. Doesn't work that well on gold alloys.

Pick your poison!

Latest posts

Back