beware of this ebay seller!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseonbase

I recently been an ebay junkie looking for good deals on silver. I found this 18 inch 3mm chain for 5.00 dollars. It weighs in at 15.75 grams. So I felt the price was worth it for 4 to 5 dollars shipped to the door. You cant beat that. So what I did next when I recieved it like i always do is give it a scratch test and drop some acid. The test was very disappointing with a tag specifically stating .925. The acid on the piece and scratch board showed a light blue and according to my test paperwork shows the item is plated. The one thing I wasnt sure of is the acid didnt eat thru the piece revealing any copper.. not sure exactly why. I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share. Anyhoot the seller's name is: fashionstartshop226. They might sell some silver but I doubt it. Please comment and tell me what u think.

chaseonbase said:
I recently been an ebay junkie looking for good deals on silver. I found this 18 inch 3mm chain for 5.00 dollars. It weighs in at 15.75 grams. So I felt the price was worth it for 4 to 5 dollars shipped to the door. You cant beat that. So what I did next when I recieved it like i always do is give it a scratch test and drop some acid. The test was very disappointing with a tag specifically stating .925. The acid on the piece and scratch board showed a light blue and according to my test paperwork shows the item is plated. The one thing I wasnt sure of is the acid didnt eat thru the piece revealing any copper.. not sure exactly why. I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share. Anyhoot the seller's name is: XXXXXXXXX. They might sell some silver but I doubt it. Please comment and tell me what u think.

Due to your ignorance your giving this seller a bad rap.

Of course nitric acid is going to show light blue on sterling touch stone scratch, sterling is an alloy consisting 925 parts silver with the remaining 25 parts copper.

A self proclaimed silver junkie that never heard of Schwerter's Solution should pack up and go home or educate oneself in this testing solutions use in identifying silver and her various alloys.

I've given you the courtesy of deleting the identification of the ebayer of whom you unjustly malign

If you used 18K testing solution on the stone and it turns a pale blue and solid it is .925 silver. As others have said you need to read up on testing procedures.
Ken

chaseonbase said:
I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share.
Sounds like he was using Schwerter's solution, not nitric or 18K testing solution.

Nickel silver will turn Schwerter's light blue but will not be copper colored after testing.

Dave

AndyWilliams said:
rusty said:
A self proclaimed silver junkie that never heard of Schwerter's Solution should pack up and go home or educate oneself in this testing solutions use in identifying silver and her various alloys.

Where did he say he was a silver junkie?

Andy good catch, I read this twice already and didn't catch it.

FrugalRefiner said:
chaseonbase said:
I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share.
Sounds like he was using Schwerter's solution, not nitric or 18K testing solution.

Nickel silver will turn Schwerter's light blue but will not be copper colored after testing.

Dave

Agreed Dave, but a simple magnet test would have solved that riddle, German Silver is magnetic.

rusty said:
chaseonbase said:
I recently been an ebay junkie looking for good deals on silver. I found this 18 inch 3mm chain for 5.00 dollars. It weighs in at 15.75 grams. So I felt the price was worth it for 4 to 5 dollars shipped to the door. You cant beat that. So what I did next when I recieved it like i always do is give it a scratch test and drop some acid. The test was very disappointing with a tag specifically stating .925. The acid on the piece and scratch board showed a light blue and according to my test paperwork shows the item is plated. The one thing I wasnt sure of is the acid didnt eat thru the piece revealing any copper.. not sure exactly why. I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share. Anyhoot the seller's name is: XXXXXXXXX. They might sell some silver but I doubt it. Please comment and tell me what u think.

Due to your ignorance your giving this seller a bad rap.

Of course nitric acid is going to show light blue on sterling touch stone scratch, sterling is an alloy consisting 925 parts silver with the remaining 25 parts copper.

I've given you the courtesy of deleting the identification of the ebayer of whom you unjustly malign

Wow.. I was just trying to give people a heads up, and be helpful. If you were going to buy an item that says flat up front that it contains a specific metal regardless of the amount of money I spend on the item. You would expect it to be that. I didnt expect to be called a moron, for trying to help. I did not use 18k acid or nitric acid for that matter and am well aware nitric acid will turn blue when dissolving 92.5 sterling due to the copper. I used a bottle of silver testing solution from puritest. Which has always turned a slight red to brown, and thank you frugal for reading the section where I was hoping for it to turn red.

I am wearing a Crossman copperhead belt buckle that is marked German Silver, and it is not magnetic.
Even with a hard drive magnet.

Jim

jimdoc said:
I am wearing a Crossman copperhead belt buckle that is marked German Silver, and it is not magnetic.

Jim

Then it's not German Silver.

Nickel is a ferromagnetic material and magnetic. So, German silver (called also: nickel silver, argentan) is magnetic.

I wasn't denying that nickel is magnetic, I was just stating that I tested the belt buckle out of curiosity, and it isn't even slightly magnetic. Fake German silver, and can't blame China on this one, as it is from the seventies before China's ruling all manufacturing. I doubt it is real silver because it hasn't tarnished.

Jim

I just found one that sold on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-CROSMAN-COPPERHEAD-GERMAN-SILVER-BELT-BUCKLE-UNUSED-W-BOX-NO-RES-/130906677807?nma=true&si=2h3EtGsR5CBjqS0%252BmHiNzBT0wvI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jimdoc said:
I wasn't denying that nickel is magnetic, I was just stating that I tested the belt buckle out of curiosity, and it isn't even slightly magnetic. Fake German silver, and can't blame China on this one, as it is from the seventies before China's ruling all manufacturing. I doubt it is real silver because it hasn't tarnished.

Jim

I just found one that sold on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-CROSMAN-COPPERHEAD-GERMAN-SILVER-BELT-BUCKLE-UNUSED-W-BOX-NO-RES-/130906677807?nma=true&si=2h3EtGsR5CBjqS0%252BmHiNzBT0wvI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thats exactly where I got that chain necklace from "china". I have bought some 1 gram silver little bars from china and those tested red with my kit. I dont know exactly the purity but it seems something is there. The clasps on the chain are full blown magnetic and chain is slighty. I just scratched the clasps when I did the the first test. It left a silverish marking. I just went back and did another on the actual necklace itself it left a copperish bronze residue.

TomVader said:
chaseonbase,
Did the listing on E-bay say it was sterling? If so, return it and get your money back!

Yes, tom it did clearly in the listing title and goes on to tell its pure silver in the description. I haven't given the neutral nor negative feedback at this moment. They may not know what their selling and are listing it based on hear say, but thank you for the comment.

Those Germans sure are crafty! They probably hide their silver by marking it German Silver!! :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now, you have discovered the secret of our richness. But where do you guys hide our german gold reserves, then? Marking it federal reserve?! :p

rusty said:
jimdoc said:

Jim

Then it's not German Silver.

Nickel is a ferromagnetic material and magnetic. So, German silver (called also: nickel silver, argentan) is magnetic.
Sorry Rusty, but I have to disagree again. I have a number of items that are nickel silver, and none of them are magnetic. I understand that nickel is ferromagnetic. Many items that are gold plated will give themselves away because the nickel layer between the base metal and the gold is, indeed, magnetic. But in an alloy, depending on the amount of nickel present, it may not show any magnetism. You can prove this easily with a US 5 cent coin - the nickel. It's 75% copper and 25% nickel, yet it shows no attraction to a strong magnet.

Personally, I think you owe chaseonbase an apology. You called him ignorant and told him to "pack up and go home or educate" himself, when it was you who misinterpreted what he wrote, then defended your position with faulty information.

I thought the idea on this forum was to help each other, not to hurl insults.

Dave

Edited to correct spelling of chaseonbase's name

I have to say that Rusty did not said anything wrong.
I have yet to see Schwerter solution which give blue result.
Solution is red/brown by default and will never show blue.
From what OP said in his first post everybody must have assumed he tested with nitric.
Rusty just said what anyone else would say based on OP first post.

Problem is that people very seldom give all details and replies are based on what was said not on what was explained later.

patnor1011 said:
I have yet to see Schwerter solution which give blue result.
Solution is red/brown by default and will never show blue.
Nickel a couple of seconds after application of Schwerter's solution.jpgNickel about 60 seconds after application of Schwerter's solution.jpg
From what OP said in his first post everybody must have assumed he tested with nitric.
I didn't.

Rusty just said what anyone else would say based on OP first post.
I disagree. Most members would not tell him he was ignorant. That is an insult bordering on flaming.

Problem is that people very seldom give all details and replies are based on what was said not on what was explained later.
In his first post he said "I was really hoping the item would of tested red so I can share."

Dave

Latest posts

Back