beware of this ebay seller!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. I'm on my way to Virginia Beach for the weekend from West Virginia. A 4.5 hour drive. We got a room on the beach so I'm going to wait till Monday to contact the seller. I'll give him an opportunity to mail me a shipping label if he wants the package back. That way he doesn't lose out completely. I don't like scammers, scoundrels, or rip-offs either. That's the only way I can think of to remedy this mess. The package is still unopened and I'll send it back as I received it.

kane333 said:
OK. I'm on my way to Virginia Beach for the weekend from West Virginia. A 4.5 hour drive. We got a room on the beach so I'm going to wait till Monday to contact the seller. I'll give him an opportunity to mail me a shipping label if he wants the package back. That way he doesn't lose out completely. I don't like scammers, scoundrels, or rip-offs either. That's the only way I can think of to remedy this mess. The package is still unopened and I'll send it back as I received it.

kane333

That's a good call. Let us know how it turns out.

modtheworld44

Sorry about the double post. I'm on my smart (?) Phone in an area that has poor service. Not sure how to delete it now.

kane333 said:
Sorry about the double post. I'm on my smart (?) Phone in an area that has poor service. Not sure how to delete it now.

Now a moderator will have to delete it, since a post has been made after yours.

Jim

So many 'fun with ebay users' stories... we should start a thread!
mine:
sold a gold ring, about $180
Sent it in a small manila envelope (sorta heavy-duty paper) with foam padding and ebay recipe, via USPS with Registered Mail (insurance, signature confirmation, tracking)
A few days later, the buyer contacted me saying he received the envelope, but that it was cut open (not accidentally torn) and the ring was gone, but the recipe remained.
I was stunned, then did some research into insurance. Turns out it pretty much only applies when USPS tells you it applies. such as if it gets run over with a car while in transit, they would send you the remains and an insurance check. But once something gets delivered without them admitting anything happened, it's no longer covered. Which makes it just about useless.
I went to the post office, described the situation, they said to call some investigator of postal stuffs, who told me to call a different investigator of postal stuffs, who told me they have a website where you can submit a form to start a complaint.
I sent all the info I had to the buyer (tracking number, dates it was where, recipe, etc.) and said that it should probably come from him as I don't have first-hand experience of what he received or the empty envelope. Up until then, we had great communication. After I sent this, I haven't heard one word from him. The end.
He seemed honest through the ordeal, but after he never responded, I just assumed he was trying to scam. Or felt it just wasn't worth the hassle.

kane333 said:

No need to be too good to him, just do what is right.
Since he was trying to cheat you I would do just bare minimum to have my conscience clean. While it is nice to return package to him I believe that he need to compensate you somehow for time you spent waiting and having your money tied in this deal. You maybe missed some other good deal. Give him reasonable time (up to you decision, few days but no more than week it was him who tried to rip you off) to send you postage label. If he will not do it, then you did all you could and just keep it.

I've been quite busy and haven't had time to even be on GRF, much less Ebay. After looking at this persons past 12 month Feedback Ratings, I should have checked this first before placing a bid on this item. Although getting a few negatives doesn't make a seller a bad choice, it is a good indicator to be wary. Lesson Learned on my part. Always Check Feedback Ratings. He's done it once before. Shorted the weight. For dcolsondave's past 6 month ratings, he's gotten 4 negatives. Mine being the last one. This has brought his rating down to 88.6%. He even managed to get 2 negatives on the same day for items that were a few dollars:

worse seller doesnt want to ship i dont want the money i want my shirts Buyer: Member id mnacho2011 ( Feedback Score Of 44 Yellow star)
Mar-27-13 07:41
4 anchor blue mens casual shirt (#181106290555) US $1.00

1st ever negative review-seller cancels if winning bid is too low- buyer beware Buyer: Member id mathews888 ( Feedback Score Of 720 Purple star)
Mar-27-13 21:15
WOMENS JEANS (#181106297230) US $2.75

1.8 pounds short Buyer: Member id treefarmernd ( Feedback Score Of 4239 Red star)
May-19-13 20:01
SCRAP COMPUTER gold recovery 4.8 pounds (#181130447632) US $5.00

Payed for 8 pounds. Received less than 6. Opened case w/ Ebay Customer Service. Buyer: Member id northshorejoe ( Feedback Score Of 119 Teal star)
Jul-01-13 14:53
SCRAP COMPUTER PARTS GOLD RECOVERY 8 lbs (#181145579496) US $13.50

I've sent the following message to dcolsondave.

Dear dcolsondave,

Since I was refunded the entire amount through Ebay Buyer Protection, I'm going to give you the opportunity to get the item back. It's still in the box, unopened. If you send me a prepaid return label, I'll send this box back to you so you don't lose out completely.

- northshorejoe

Now we wait for a response.

That clearly show that he is a thief. He did it few times. No need to be too polite or nice to him. He is the one who should contact you and ask if he can have something back...
This is different from what it looked before. It could have been caused by delivery company, box could burst and they just tape closed it back again with some scrap being lost.... Now it is obvious that he did it by purpose. I would not lose any sleep now knowing this in case I would never hear from him again. You gave him plenty of time to make things right already.

Dear dcolsondave,

Since I was refunded the entire amount through Ebay Buyer Protection, I'm going to give you the opportunity to get the item back. It's still in the box, unopened. If you send me a prepaid return label, I'll send this box back to you so you don't lose out completely.

- northshorejoe

Response Today:

Dear northshorejoe,

EBAY BUYER PROTECTION PLAN IS A VERY GOOD FEATURE .I DO NOT THINK THAT I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS .I DID NOT LOSE A THING.I WAS PROTECTED TO. .NIETHER ONE OF US HAS LOST .SORRY YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE ITEM I SOLD YOU.LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN KEEP THE SCRAP.UNLESS EBAY TELLS YOU DIFFERENT .I AM OUT A FEW POUNDS OF SCRAP OH WELL.LIFE GOES ON
THANKS FOR YOU KINDNESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

- dcolsondave

Re: Other: northshorejoe sent a message about SCRAP COMPUTER PARTS GOLD RECOVERY 8 lbs #181145579496

Sent: Jul-08-13 03:21 AM

It is unusual. I'm getting ready to go out here and open this box. There'll probably be nothing but junk in it.

That is simply not truth, ebay will not pay anything from their pocket. You got refunded from his account it only is little confusing to figure out on paypal statements. Matter sorted case closed. You got compensation for your troubles and for having your money tied in bad deal.
Always check feedback.

patnor1011 said:
That is simply not truth, ebay will not pay anything from their pocket. You got refunded from his account it only is little confusing to figure out on paypal statements. Matter sorted case closed. You got compensation for your troubles and for having your money tied in bad deal.
Always check feedback.

Ebay will pay out of their pocket if they messed up.
"You have been issued a courtesy refund by eBay." courtesy is the keyword.

I had a case where Ebay sided with the seller at an almost unbelievable speed because he had a tracking number showing delivery. I had to prove that the seller simply mailed a package, maybe even an empty package to an address in my zip code. So basically their refusal to believe me over a new seller, and their lack of simply checking into what I was saying, cost them about $250. They called it a courtesy refund. So the seller figured out how to get over on Ebay. I don't know if Ebay fixed this problem yet? You would think they would try to limit these loses. But maybe they make so much money they don't care about petty cash.

Jim

kane333 said:
Dear dcolsondave,

- northshorejoe

Response Today:

Dear northshorejoe,

EBAY BUYER PROTECTION PLAN IS A VERY GOOD FEATURE .I DO NOT THINK THAT I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS .I DID NOT LOSE A THING.I WAS PROTECTED TO. .NIETHER ONE OF US HAS LOST .SORRY YOU WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE ITEM I SOLD YOU.LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN KEEP THE SCRAP.UNLESS EBAY TELLS YOU DIFFERENT .I AM OUT A FEW POUNDS OF SCRAP OH WELL.LIFE GOES ON
THANKS FOR YOU KINDNESS AND HAVE A GOOD DAY

- dcolsondave

Re: Other: northshorejoe sent a message about SCRAP COMPUTER PARTS GOLD RECOVERY

Sent: Jul-08-13 03:21 AM

I cant help but not laugh thinking theres an angry chinese person on the other end of that keyboard with superglue on the caps lock. RA HAAAHAAA RA.

Not to vere of your issue but I did a little experiment and learned that jewelry whether it's claimed to be Au or Ag if its got a round circular tag stamped .925 or 14kt or whatever its junk I invested about 20 $ into this experiment. Bought a diffrent silver claimed item and a gold claimed item with identical round stamped tags one 14kt one .925. REAL REAL GOLD AND SILVER. Stannous laughs at u! The sellers both had reputable feed back, but the difference from us and other buyers is were here to purify it melt it and slug it. Everyone just thinks awww so pretty heres 5 stars. So from what ive learned when it comes to jewelry look for the reputable marks in the pic on the actual item! And when they say ITS REALLY PURRE 100% 30kt WITH AN ALL TIME HIGH OF 34,000 DOLLARS AN OZ! WHY NOT BUY NOW! Ok that was a bit facetious, im just tired of seeing it. RUN! I know im probably spinning my wheels on that statement cause you guys are smarter than that. I do feel better about getting it off my chest though. 8)

chaseonbase said:
Not to vere of your issue but I did a little experiment and learned that jewelry whether it's claimed to be Au or Ag if its got a round circular tag stamped .925 or 14kt or whatever its junk I invested about 20 $ into this experiment. Bought a diffrent silver claimed item and a gold claimed item with identical round stamped tags one 14kt one .925. REAL REAL GOLD AND SILVER. Stannous laughs at u!
Lets start with the last character in the quoted lines, above.

I see you used the letter u to represent the word "you".

Don't do it again. If you persist in using text lingo, you will be banned, and immediately. What ever you have to say, say it clearly and concisely, so all can understand what it is you mean.

There is no need to discuss this issue. You agree, and you don't use text messaging on the board, or you won't be on the board.

You made mention of testing with stannous chloride. Can you please describe the procdure you used to arrive at your conclusions? Do not leave out any details. I want to read the exact procedure you used.

Harold

patnor1011 said:
I have to say that Rusty did not said anything wrong.
I have yet to see Schwerter solution which give blue result.
Solution is red/brown by default and will never show blue.
Because it is primarily made of nitric acid, given enough time, it will dissolve enough nickel to turn blue, as is shown.

Harold

puritest should show red or brown for good quality silver however german silver also known as coupernickle will test green or blue also base metal may not be copper it may be brass. This is usually the case with silver plated tea pots and such.

Latest posts

Back