Big mistake I need advice and I can't find anything on the forum about it yet.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lrac Snnam

So ... I had some open wristband bracelets like for ID names or whatever. They was 1/20 12 k gold filled. Brands like peerless, Pontiac, B/R and others. I burnt off all the dirt ect... So I dissolved base metals in diluted nitric acid and the foils out. Then washed them after 2 nitric rinses to get base metals off. Well then I put the foils in aqua regia but I didn't realize I put too much nitric in it. So my other problem is I thought I had SMB from STUMP OUT to get gold out of solution but I was indeed wrong with what I was putting in there and I also has way too much nitric acid in solution still so I figured gold was just re-dissolving . But I wasn't using SMB which I found out little later. So I made the mistake of just dumping my gold solution into my waste nitric Wash from the beginning. Is there a way I can selectively remove each metal and still get at least some gold recovered out of this pot of goulash that I have made lol thanx for your time

So ... I had some open wristband bracelets like for ID names or whatever. They was 1/20 12 k gold filled. Brands like peerless, Pontiac, B/R and others. I burnt off all the dirt ect... So I dissolved base metals in diluted nitric acid and the foils out. Then washed them after 2 nitric rinses to get base metals off. Well then I put the foils in aqua regia but I didn't realize I put too much nitric in it. So my other problem is I thought I had SMB from STUMP OUT to get gold out of solution but I was indeed wrong with what I was putting in there and I also has way too much nitric acid in solution still so I figured gold was just re-dissolving . But I wasn't using SMB which I found out little later. So I made the mistake of just dumping my gold solution into my waste nitric Wash from the beginning. Is there a way I can selectively remove each metal and still get at least some gold recovered out of this pot of goulash that I have made lol thanx for your time
Welcome to us.
You really need to study more.
And get a grip of your lab hygiene.
If you are going to continue this adventure you simply can not allow yourself to do such stupid things, this time you were lucky.
Next time may cost you you health or your life.
I usually post a bunch of links to study but have no access just now.

What you need to do is to filter what you have then put some solid Copper into the liquid.
Stir it often and after a while there will be some black powder in the bottom, that is your Gold.
And test it with Stannous to see if all the Gold is cemented out.
There may be some Gold in your solids too so redissolve this and cement that one too.
Same procedure.

Welcome to us.
If you are going to continue this adventure you simply can not allow yourself to do such stupid things, this time you were lucky.

What you need to do is to filter what you have then put some solid Copper into the liquid.
Stir it often and after a while there will be some black powder in the bottom, that is your Gold.
There may be some Gold in your solids too so redissolve this and cement that one too.
Same procedure.
Thank you very much and yes I agree totally it was a very stupid and careless mistake of my part and I will put forth all my attention into studying the safety aspect of this little adventure I'm wanting to do. I appreciate all of your insight and advice and greatly appreciate you worrying about my health and not just lecturing me on my dumb mistakes. I am so amazed at all the things alchemists have to learn before they do what they do and hats off to you guys for what you do
Again thank you and I'm looking forward to speaking again but next time, in more of a intelligence conversation about this skill set you guys have acquired

Welcome to us.

Same procedure.
One more question when I cement this gold out of solution with the solid copper, am i conducting this step on heat or no heat ?

§1: Don't trow anything away.
As long as you keep your liquids, nothing is lost. That may sound stupid or not helpful, but in fact it does make sense. Your material has only changed it's chemical structure. But all the gold is still there.
Drop it using copper, or even iron and start all over again..

Latest posts

Back