Need help with sorting and seperation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.data

I have lots of LCD cables with gold connectors on both sides.
First I cutted all the connectors with scissors and then grinded them which yield good and clean results but the process was way to time consuming.
Now I just put the entire cable in the grinder and this works but its a mesh of different materials.
The gold connectors which I am after, plastic (with gold connectors and just plain plastic), metal, copper cable and tape.
Any ideas on how to seperate these are greatly appriciated since I dont know where to start.
I tried water but plastic sinks and some gold floats.
I tried air pressure but it blows away the small gold along.
I tried magnets but since the gold is on metal it sticks to it but not all.

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
When I work with such material, I try my best just to remove gold pins. But there is always some plastic that gets mixed in with my pins. I just pick out the larger peices of plastic and other unwanted material. Then process the pins..even if they contain some bits of plastic. I use AP....I just throw a bunch of pins in a bucket, put a lid over it, check on it in a few days.

First I cutted all the connectors with scissors and then grinded them which yield good and clean results but the process was way to time consuming.
Now I just put the entire cable in the grinder and this works but its a mesh of different materials.
The gold connectors which I am after, plastic (with gold connectors and just plain plastic), metal, copper cable and tape.
Any ideas on how to seperate these are greatly appriciated since I dont know where to start.
How much cables did you shred this way?
Take it as a loss or toss it in AP if it's too much.
You just found out this method creates more work and waste.
Stick to manual cutting or get some bench shears.

Most plastic connectors stay fine in AP, but I've had some that turned gooey after a while and stuck to everything...not sure what type of plastic they were.

How much cables did you shred this way?
Take it as a loss or toss it in AP if it's too much.
You just found out this method creates more work and waste.
Stick to manual cutting or get some bench shears.
Only a handful but I sorted it out the big stuff already but it leaves a mesh of different materials.
Manual work is not profitable so I need to figure out a way to separate it or dissolve only the valuable PMs.
I think I figured out a way by using Sodium Thiosulphate and Copper 2 Oxide solution to only dissolve the gold and silver, leaving the rest in tact.

Most plastic connectors stay fine in AP, but I've had some that turned gooey after a while and stuck to everything...not sure what type of plastic they were.
I did see something about plastic connectors with gold and this worked but did leave some gold behind.
I think it's still better then spending all the time needed to take out the gold manually but there has to be a better way.

Manual work is not profitable so I need to figure out a way to separate it or dissolve only the valuable PMs.
You've hit the definition of "ore": something that can be mined with a profit.
In short, not worth your time in small amounts. Sell as scrap to a scrapyard, and not to goldfever-you-tube watchers to maximize profits please ;)

We have enough messes to deal with as is.
but there has to be a better way.
Ship to a low wage slavery country without environmental awareness.
But that's really not better way, just shifting the problem out of or backyard and causing pollution elsewhere that will eventually effect you (and us all) in some way.

The big guys go for the copper by shredding, gravity separation, smelting and copper refining, the pm slimes are a bonus.

In short, not worth your time in small amounts. Sell as scrap to a scrapyard, and not to goldfever-you-tube watchers to maximize profits please ;)
I cannot totally agree on that one because my goal is to learn as much as possible about recycling, refining and chemistry and then figure out better ways to do it. I am still in the early stages so it's fairly easy for me to keep on testing until I find a way that works best without having to change our entire process.

Ship to a low wage slavery country without environmental awareness.
But that's really not better way, just shifting the problem out of or backyard and causing pollution elsewhere that will eventually effect you (and us all) in some way.
And that is a problem I would like to fix. Our labor is expensive but with an efficient process and the right equipment it is possible to be very profitable and good for the environment which is recycling all about.

We did already figure out ways on reusing soldered on laptop CPU's and sell it to Chinese customers while they stick to low wages and not thinking about new ways to do something

I cannot totally agree on that one because my goal is to learn as much as possible about recycling, refining and chemistry and then figure out better ways to do it. I am still in the early stages so it's fairly easy for me to keep on testing until I find a way that works best without having to change our entire process.
So you have the time to dive in deep. Good. The lessons learned are for life and much more valuable than selling the whole lot.
You can still cherry pick the high yield parts and sell the rest for cash to keep things moving.
Sort per type, study this forum as most if not all have been discussed here on the forum.
And let us review your plan before you do anything.
A good start to learn is dealing with waste as it explains cementing and reactivity. Things you need to understand in chemistry and dealing with your chemical toxic waste.

So you have the time to dive in deep. Good. The lessons learned are for life and much more valuable than selling the whole lot.
You can still cherry pick the high yield parts and sell the rest for cash to keep things moving.
Sort per type, study this forum as most if not all have been discussed here on the forum.
And let us review your plan before you do anything.
A good start to learn is dealing with waste as it explains cementing and reactivity. Things you need to understand in chemistry and dealing with your chemical toxic waste.
Yes indeed and that's a good point to let others review as well.
We already make the most of the profits from reusing "old" electronics so there is no hurry in making much from scrap.
At the moment I am piling up so I have lot's of different materials to work with and study.

As I learn my chemical waste is stocking up pretty fast as well and I see that I need to figure out that part soon.
For now as a hobbyist I can bring it to the milieustraat gratis 😂 but commercially that will be a bigger problem

Yes indeed and that's a good point to let others review as well.
We already make the most of the profits from reusing "old" electronics so there is no hurry in making much from scrap.
At the moment I am piling up so I have lot's of different materials to work with and study.

As I learn my chemical waste is stocking up pretty fast as well and I see that I need to figure out that part soon.
For now as a hobbyist I can bring it to the milieustraat gratis 😂 but commercially that will be a bigger problem
I'd be more than happy to be that small country people ship escrap to. I learn something new everyday, every time I process a batch of escrap. Just keep reading/studying, be patient, be safe. You will figure out the method that works best for you.

I'd be more than happy to be that small country people ship escrap to. I learn something new everyday, every time I process a batch of escrap. Just keep reading/studying, be patient, be safe. You will figure out the method that works best for you.
That is my approach as well and when trying 100's of different methods, eventually you will figure out an easy way that is both fast and profitable

Latest posts

Back