Maintaining my silver nitrate electrolyte solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update...

The slime was definitely silver slime. I dried it out and threw it in my crucible. It's not good quality silver for sure. Treating it with silver acid solution shows a of contaminants (solution turned red.) I know there's a lot fo copper in it.

But it's probably good enough to go through another round of electrolysis?
View attachment 64820

View attachment 64822
You are talking about Schwerter's test right?
It is Potassium DiCromate.
That will be red if it is Silver.

Another update.

So I don't know if the contamination came from me, or the manufacturer of the original 30g/L silver nitrate solution - but I ordered some powdered silver nitrate and mixed my own. And now I'm getting beautiful silver crystals forming.

signal-2024-09-14-194829_004.jpeg
As part of the experiment I decided to use a silver cathode (2mm x 2mm silver wire coiled to increase the surface area.)
I abandoned the stainless steel bowl as part of the test, but I think I'll probably leave it abandoned.

Another update.

So I don't know if the contamination came from me, or the manufacturer of the original 30g/L silver nitrate solution - but I ordered some powdered silver nitrate and mixed my own. And now I'm getting beautiful silver crystals forming.

View attachment 64869
As part of the experiment I decided to use a silver cathode (2mm x 2mm silver wire coiled to increase the surface area.)
I abandoned the stainless steel bowl as part of the test, but I think I'll probably leave it abandoned.
I'd guess the vibrating table is knocking the slimes out of the anode bag.

Little late on this but if you drill holes on the bottom of the Tupperware anode basket then any time you disturb the anode basket slimes will fall into the solution .
1.) Try it without holes drilled in the bottom just drill holes on the side of basket
2.) Try not to disturb the anode basket

The ions will circulate through the side and not having the bottom drilled out can catch any slime debris that fall through your mesh

Back