Best choice for catching dish

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayham Hafez

I read many threads talking about catching dish, I think the best choice is to use pyroceram dishes like corningware, but unfortunately its not available in my country.

I tried pyrex before but its cracked, the available options I have now is to go with one of the followings:

Titanium cookware (as called in cook shops)
Tefal cookware
Or granite cookware

I have the option of stoneware but I read that it will crack if temperature more than 220 c or if it used without water.

Which one is the best and will not react with acids like AR?

Another option that is popular is using a rubberized heat band. These bands wrap around the outside of glass and plastic containers to provide moderate heat for a reaction. Then the catch pail can be a plastic catch all. Plastic cement mixing trays are popular here in the USA.

I have posted this image as an example before but here is a rubberized heat band being used on a stainless steel pot to digest silver. These bands are also made for plastic pails.
9F92324D-EB93-427B-A30D-09862245606B.jpeg
This setup did not use a catch basin but he trusted the stainless steel to not break apart.

Another option that is popular is using a rubberized heat band. These bands wrap around the outside of glass and plastic containers to provide moderate heat for a reaction. Then the catch pail can be a plastic catch all. Plastic cement mixing trays are popular here in the USA.

I have posted this image as an example before but here is a rubberized heat band being used on a stainless steel pot to digest silver. These bands are also made for plastic pails.
View attachment 64888
This setup did not use a catch basin but he trusted the stainless steel to not break apart.
You always surprise me, really impressive, I will try to find the rubberized heat band, also I'm looking to know if tefal, titanium or granite cookwares react with acids or not

My experience is with pots about 5 gallon in size fabricated from titanium sheets so it was titanium fabricated into pots. These were used for the actual reactions not as catch pots.

I do not believe titanium can be electroplated. Mind you I have been out of the electroplating industry for more years than our average member has been alive, but back in the day it could not be electroplated. You could electroplate titanium as the base substrate metal but not plate any other metal with titanium.

The welds were definitely titanium but for whatever reason they were the first point of failure. But they did not fail quickly and some have yet to fail years on.
Titanium is a funny material in many ways, it will happily alloy with practically anything.
Even when machining it may alloy up (Just by friction heat) with the cutting tool whether it is Carbide or high speed steel.

But most alloys are not durable.
Welding Titanium with Aluminum or Stainless Steel is no problem during the welding.
But the moment it cools it becomes like glass and cracks up.

It is also very sensitive to Oxygen during the welding, forming a yellow powdery coating which needs to be removed completely.

So my guess is that, it is workmanship during the welding or maybe the weld procedures themselves that are less than stellar.

Titanium is a funny material in many ways, it will happily alloy with practically anything.
Even when machining it may alloy up (Just by friction heat) with the cutting tool whether it is Carbide or high speed steel.

But most alloys are not durable.
Welding Titanium with Aluminum or Stainless Steel is no problem during the welding.
But the moment it cools it becomes like glass and cracks up.

It is also very sensitive to Oxygen during the welding, forming a yellow powdery coating which needs to be removed completely.

So my guess is that, it is workmanship during the welding or maybe the weld procedures themselves that are less than stellar.
Do you think its better to use Tefal or granite cookwares as a catching dish rather than titanium?

Latest posts

Back